Fantasy Art Thread

Enforcer84

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Fantasy Art Thread

Another awesome map there, misteradam.

And this was from Death Tribble's "what should storn draw next" thread over on Hero games. I've always had a soft spot for Adam Strange (who is such an ode to Buck Rogers)... and a chance to do Captain Gorilla of the Star Patrol was waay too much fun to do.

CapGorilla72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

I did this as a gift for a friend of Millie's. Watercolor. If you have never been to Ithaca, this is a beautiful gorge that one can walk up through from downtown Ithaca to Cornell/ College Town. Great walk, we do it about twice or three times a week.

As a kiddo, I used to walk it all the time in order to get to my grandparents. I always thought it had a bit of a Lord of the Rings vibe to it... used to think about Orcs coming down the stone stairs (not depicted in the pic), fights on that bridge.... sigh... no wonder I ended up a fantasy artist.

Cascagorge72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

• 5 weeks later...

I saw a video of a guy working digitally that he put up on you tube, actually, about 10 video segments. He does all of his drawing right in the software, unlike myself. I usually pencil, scan in, and then work from there.

So, this was an experiment... drawing directly on my wacom tablet and using a lot of layers, allowing for a separate paper surface, the summon critter was on a layer, the staff, etc.

I'm somewhat happy with the results, took about 3 and 1/2 hours. I found hands are really hard to draw digitally, at least with the brushes I was working with... I kept messing with them, still not happy, but other work calls.

For the record, this is loosely based on Judd's burning wheel character, Sammesh.

Summoner72.jpg

That is incredibly cool!

Meanwhile, I've been playing D&D (2e!) again, and done a couple of portraits: my own character, an Adventurer, and the Dwarf Myrmidon, who gets a lot of stick from us because he uses a sword, not an axe or hammer.

"Mother... Father... There's... something I have to tell you ... I use a sword."

"You're no son of mine!"

"Where did we go wrong? *sob*"

Connor01.jpg KrugenDamascus01.jpg

I'm thinking of colouring them on the computer at some point, so I didn't want to put too much in with the inks. I inked Connor, pencilled and inked Krugen during today's session. I used some new pens; I probably could have done with using the brush pen, as the line weights are a little bland.

3734462020_78b35ca94f_o.jpg

I did this in dribs and drabs between proper jobs over the last few days. The proportions of the adventurer are kind of wonky, and the tentacle-critter could be more tentacular, but not to worry; it's just a doodle after all.

I do seem to be a bit attached to the "sneaking up from behind" theme at the moment. I wonder what that means, psychologically? Probably best not to know.