Fantasy Art Thread

Enforcer84

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Fantasy Art Thread

3470123910_7dbe56274d.jpg?v=0

Just a quickie little doodle I did while I was playing my favourite old character one evening.

Since this place doesn't have any roofs or hoardings in place, one might reasonably assume that it's probably an abandoned derelict. But HA! One would be wrong! In fact it's just because the artist forgot all about roofs and hoardings when he was scribbling :)

3470123910_7dbe56274d.jpg?v=0

Just a quickie little doodle I did while I was playing my favourite old character one evening.

Since this place doesn't have any roofs or hoardings in place, one might reasonably assume that it's probably an abandoned derelict. But HA! One would be wrong! In fact it's just because the artist forgot all about roofs and hoardings when he was scribbling :)

Maybe it's just a place that it doesn't rain very much. Some castles in Transjordan had flat roofs :)

cheers, Mark

A real mixed bag of stuff this time around.

First up, a map I did in a quick and dirty method. It is for a Burning Wheel solo game that I'm in with Judd aka Paka. Scanned pencils for most of the geographical features. Lettering done in Photoshop with the Dragonbones font from Blambot. The coloring done in Painter, primarily with a "wet oil" brush... which gives it a bit of funky texture which I like, then the wet blender tool to mush stuff around a bit, like in the hills, mtns. Hope you like.

13Cities72.jpg

Here is a link to a higher resolution:

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs43/f/2009/114/d/f/13_Cities_by_Storn_Cook.jpg

Then, here is Judd's b-day present. Pencils that I'm giving to him, but I'm gonna work this up as a sample. This is from an incident in our Saturday D&D game, with Melech the Red there backstabbing a green dragon to great effect. I'm told. I wasn't there, darn it. (Actually, I was having a wonderful time visiting Millie's daughter Anaiis in PA with Millie)

I am going to try and keep track of the interim steps and post them as I get them done on this project. Although, since it is a for-me project, it is not a higher priority.

MelvsGr72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, love that map. Such character, such neat little plot hooks right there to be seen and explored. Just lovely. Real lovely. I swiped it and put it in my file for saving, because this is an area I wouldn't mind using at some point.

Continuing on with my painting via stages, here is the underpainting. I scanned in the pencils and did the underpainting in Painter and Photoshop.

Now I will print it out and in my copious spare time start the oil painting process. I will seal it on a masonite board. Seal it with acrylic medium. Start painting. If I can find my digital camera, I'll take a few shots of interim steps.

MelvsGrU72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

3530610118_8da938a438.jpg?v=0

Another Knockspell illustration; a female vampire-mummy thing. I'm not terribly happy with this one; it's kind of static and the proportions and perspective are kind of out of whack, but never mind. Also, the sides of its sepulchre ended up looking like one of those old-fashioned radiator heaters... but I guess even the Living Dead might want to keep their bedrooms warm :)

3530610118_8da938a438.jpg?v=0

Another Knockspell illustration; a female vampire-mummy thing. I'm not terribly happy with this one; it's kind of static and the proportions and perspective are kind of out of whack, but never mind. Also, the sides of its sepulchre ended up looking like one of those old-fashioned radiator heaters... but I guess even the Living Dead might want to keep their bedrooms warm :)

The morning after the night before. . . . Her whole expression says "Oh, god, I had a terrible night!"

is there any particular reason you do the underpainting digitally instead of in oils or acrylic?

Faster. And I find it a lot of fun to play with tonal paintings in Painter for some reason. I already had the scan of the pencils in.

I'm not the only one who does this. I know that Allan Pollack, a good friend and an awesome illustrator does this. Through Allan, I have met Donato, he does it. So does William O'Conner.

I personally have done it for years off and on. Mostly for Warlord cards.

It is nice to do something kinda sweet instead of all the sturm and drang, blood and violence that is part and parcel of rpg adventure illustration. I got a chance to do a druid with red pandas. Not sure if they are her "familiars" or just something she has come across.

I used to live right next to the National zoo in DC. Red Pandas were about 10 minutes walking distance from my apartment. They are awfully cute and heck of a lot more interesting than their bigger holstein cousins.

Anyway, enuff blather from me. Here ya go:

Fawn72.jpg

I didn't know Donato did the underpainting digitally' date=' too. Maybe I'll give it a shot the next time I do a small size oil.[/quote']

I'm not sure if he does much with digital underpainting, I think most often he scans the pencils in, prints them out (maybe on a ground) and then goes to acrylic for the underpainting.

Both Alan and I have done some of the underpainting process digitally. I still will probably put even more tonal work once mine is printed out. Alan is working digitally all the way for his Tor covers. His site is here, btw;

http://www.alanpollack.com/

I am just getting very cool ideas from my patrons. Here are two dynamic, haven't done often before, twists on archtypes.

First up, this is Taint. A supervillainess who's got disease abilities... and I'm not sure why, REALLY big clunky boots, despite having crutches. The patron specifically asked for shoes that looked uncomfortable.

Taint72.jpg

Next is Zymba. This patron specifically asked for an action pose, suggesting leaping out at us. Tribal tats. and odd looking daggers, dual wield.

Zymba72.jpg