Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

The gym I'll be working out at sells protein shakes and other supplements. I have no doubt that they taste absolutely horrible. Since I'm trying to lose weight, not put on muscle mass so much, I won't be going anywhere near them -- besides, they cost too much.

One product they are rather keen on pushing is called Muscle Milk. Consumer Reports says that three servings a day of Muscle Milk contains too much cadmium and lead, something the manufacturer disputes as they seemingly always do. Of course, the open question is why you need to put ANY cadmium or lead into a protein shake in the first place.

[Nutrition Geekery]

Most commercial protein shakes and supplements are not worth taking. Overpriced, manufactured with insufficient regulation and almost no oversight, and marketed to teens and twenty-somethings who won't bother to do the most minimal research.

That said, you do need sufficient protein both when adding muscle and cutting fat. How much is "sufficient" is also tricky. The best studies of Olympic and professional athletes suggest it's about .8 grams per pound of body mass. Protein companies pad this number, and push ordinary weekend tranees to suck down as much protein as pro athletes. This can be a seriously bad idea, as your digestion will quickly tell you. Vegans lie in the other direction, pretending athletes can get by on the same amount of protein as sedentary hospital patients. That can lead to serious performance issues. The classic Vegan lie is "I am a professional Power Lifter, and do great on a diet of sunshine and fresh water". You don't need your protein from animal sources (though that is much easier), but if you want to keep or add muscle you do need it.

You do not need less protein when trying to lose fat; your muscles still need the same amount of protein, if not somewhat more, to avoid being catabolized by your body for energy.

As to how much protein you really need, that's tricky. Anywhere from .4 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight per day for someone doing light exercise a few times a week to the full .8 per pound per day for someone doing serious weight training. Even more if the person in question is using steroids (not that I am in any way advocating steroid use; just pointing out that it further complicates the issue). If you want to lose more muscle than fat, you generally don't want to cut your protein intake when dieting.

If you do want a protein shake, I'd suggest blending nonfat greek yoghurt with water, ice, stevia, and fruit. Wheat germ also works as a nutritional booster. Bob's Red Mill Whey Protein Concentrate, or any simple whey protein concentrate (not isolate), is cheap (cheaper at a per gram of protein price than eggs or milk, generally); I use that quite a bit. No useless or actively harmful extras, just plain protein.

I wouldn't drink Muscle Milk or similar crap if I could possibly avoid it; a raft of artificial ingredients and useless extras, all wrapped up in advertising talk to sell it to the easilly bullied.

No one intentionally adds lead to protein powder; it's from the manufacturing process, and another reason to actually pay attention to the way the company you're buying from makes their product.[/Nutrition Geekery]

Actually' date=' the classic bodybuilding weight gainer shake with protein powder, ice, whole milk, wheat germ, banana, berries & peanut butter is fairly horrific from a calories point of view. You can certainly get 500+ calories into a shake like that even if you're trying to be healthy, and 1000+ calories if you're being indulgent.[/quote']

When Keri was actively lifting I would go to her gym sometimes and would see things like guys who were working on putting on weight eating a gallon of ice-cream using snickers bars as spoons.

The .4 to .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight' date=' would that be current weight or target weight?[/quote']

Current weight. Note though that the high figure comes from research done using Olympians and professional athletes, very lean people. You're probably safe shooting for .8 grams per pound at your target weight, unless you're already lean or carrying a lot of muscle.

When Keri was actively lifting I would go to her gym sometimes and would see things like guys who were working on putting on weight eating a gallon of ice-cream using snickers bars as spoons.

Yup, you see similar goofiness all the time. Bodybuilding is the socially acceptable eating disorder. (Of course, while I was never a bodybuilder, part of the way I got fat was telling myself "I trained two hours today, the ice cream and pizza won't be a problem".)

Yup, you see similar goofiness all the time. Bodybuilding is the socially acceptable eating disorder. (Of course, while I was never a bodybuilder, part of the way I got fat was telling myself "I trained two hours today, the ice cream and pizza won't be a problem".)

While they were indeed technically building their bodies, as powerlifters they'd probably be horribly offended at you calling them bodybuilders. Which amuses me greatly. :)

While they were indeed technically building their bodies' date=' as powerlifters they'd probably be horribly offended at you calling them bodybuilders. Which amuses me greatly. :)[/quote']

I remembered that Keri was a powerlifter, and wondered why she'd been training with people who were trying to bulk up in such a silly way. Figured it must have been a mixed gym. :D

Gee' date=' I wonder what would happen if you told Mister Muscles that he looked like a uterus straight to his face? Oh, wait, I know, it'd be the next episode of [i']1000 Ways to Die[/i].

That's why the internet was invented*, so geeky folks could make fun of the muscle-y folks.

*And for pr0n.

Gee' date=' I wonder what would happen if you told Mister Muscles that he looked like a uterus straight to his face? Oh, wait, I know, it'd be the next episode of [i']1000 Ways to Die[/i].

Only if he didn't have a sense of humor about it. I've known some body builders who do have a sense of humor, nice guys...weird too.

Only if he didn't have a sense of humor about it. I've known some body builders who do have a sense of humor' date=' nice guys...weird too.[/quote']

True enough. Sometimes I forget that not everyone is as ill-humored as I can be about insults and mockery. Then again, when they look like that guy I still wouldn't want to take any chances.