Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

Post #110 and it's Gamalost

:D

Technically speaking, it only sounds like gamalost - it's Gammel Ost (literally, "Old Cheese".) I've tried it. It smells like stinky old cheese (with an extra side of old gym bag), and has a stinky old cheese taste plus a sort of chemical after taste, that's both very distinctive and also hard to describe. The stink takes quite a while to get off your fingers if you touch the stuff. I hate it, but it hardly moves the needle on my "disgusting food meter". It's just nasty cheese. The maggot cheese, on the other hand ...:eek:

cheers, Mark

:eek: ... And there are people who actually EAT this?!?!

Not only eat it, but like it. No, I don't understand it either - but then I don't like any of the "cheese with mold" variants like Roquefort, either. This is just a more extreme version of the same thing.

cheers, Mark

This maggot cheese stuff reminds me of a comment made by one of the instructors at the USAF survival school back during the Viet Nam War (I lived on the base where that was/is).

If you have a plane crash in the jungle, and you have to walk out of the jungle (i.e. you're behind enemy lines and the terrain's too awful for the helicopters to get you, or they simply can't find you), and you get hurt, and your wound gets infested and maggoty (which doesn't take that long once you have an open wound) ... he recommended eating the maggots. "They eat you; you eat them."

Yow! Some of those challenges look like they lead to fame of the posthumous variety.

Though that fifteen-pound burger... if you finish it in three hours you get it for free. I wonder what you get if you finish it in thirty minutes?

Protein poisoning, I'm guessing.

Casu marzu is believed to be an aphrodisiac by local Sardinians.

Someone tell me, how is this horror supposed to arouse women... ?

I suspect it's not so much a case of actually being an aphrodisiac, as of women saying "Crap, I never thought he'd actually go through with that dare and eat the thing. Now I have to pay up..."

This maggot cheese stuff reminds me of a comment made by one of the instructors at the USAF survival school back during the Viet Nam War (I lived on the base where that was/is).

If you have a plane crash in the jungle, and you have to walk out of the jungle (i.e. you're behind enemy lines and the terrain's too awful for the helicopters to get you, or they simply can't find you), and you get hurt, and your wound gets infested and maggoty (which doesn't take that long once you have an open wound) ... he recommended eating the maggots. "They eat you; you eat them."

I hope he wasn't talking from personal experience.

Not only eat it' date=' but like it. No, I don't understand it either - but then I don't like any of the "cheese with mold" variants like Roquefort, either. This is just a more extreme version of the same thing.[/quote']

W-e-l-l. guess I cannot be too critical. My wife is Chinese - she and some of her family LOVE a particular (thankfully hard-to-get) brand of tofu, they reckon the taste is absolutely wonderful. The problem (and it is a biggie) is how the stuff smells. For the sake of my own standing on this forum, I will not go into detail, so let's just say it smells exactly like human by-product, and just leave it there, shall we?

W-e-l-l. guess I cannot be too critical. My wife is Chinese - she and some of her family LOVE a particular (thankfully hard-to-get) brand of tofu' date=' they reckon the taste is absolutely wonderful. The problem (and it is a biggie) is how the stuff smells. For the sake of my own standing on this forum, I will not go into detail, so let's just say it smells exactly like human by-product, and just leave it there, shall we?[/quote']

It's not similar to natto by any chance, is it?

Here is a link I found in a friends of mine's food blog (http://www.whatgregeats.com/)

http://www.thesneeze.com/steve-dont-eat-it/

where someone blogs about eating food you normally find in dares and/or the dusty back shelves of the "bizarre" section of your local megamart. Funny stuff.

Here is a link I found in a friends of mine's food blog (http://www.whatgregeats.com/)

http://www.thesneeze.com/steve-dont-eat-it/

where someone blogs about eating food you normally find in dares and/or the dusty back shelves of the "bizarre" section of your local megamart. Funny stuff.

Thank you for a superior time-waster. I especially enjoyed these comments regarding Beggin' Strips dog snacks:

"Beggin' Strips slogan is "Dogs don't know it's not bacon!" Newsflash:
Dogs are retarded
. Mine used to eat his own vomit, and wag his tail while he did it."

"In closing, the only silver lining to this dark dark cloud is I have figured out why so many dogs lick their own assholes. They are trying to kill the taste of Beggin' Strips. (By the way, it doesn't work."

It's not similar to natto by any chance' date=' is it?[/quote']

Had to look up Natto in Wiki ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natt%C5%8D ). Definitely not - wrong smell, different consistency. And the stuff I am referring to looks like basic Tofu - yellowish-coloured squares and blocks.

• 2 months later...