Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

Hey bacon lovers! I saw this a few weeks ago on TV, but didn't think to post about it here until i ran across this article by accident.

Cooking bacon is not nearly as fun as eating bacon. In fact, it can be a major pain. So Alton Brown has come up with a fantastic solution: The Waffle Iron!

Alton Brown Makes Bacon in Waffle Iron (also has great tips for buying the right bacon)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-KzBVbwUdE

I don't have waffle iron. Never wanted one before. Now ... I need one! :D

I've taken to cooking the bacon in the microwave. Just layer it in there with some paper towels and nuke till crispy. It's cheating' date=' but I don't care. Especially since I'm the one that has to do the dishes.[/quote']

How does it taste? I know the microwave has a poor reputation where meat is concerned.

It's actually better, believe it or not. Because I cook the bacon until it shatters when touched. When I do that in the skillet, it burns because it gets all wavy and stuff. In the microwave, it stays flat. So it looks like cardboard, but it doesn't taste like bacon flavored charcoal.

Cooking bacon is not nearly as fun as eating bacon. In fact' date=' it can be a major pain. So Alton Brown has come up with a fantastic solution: [b']The Waffle Iron![/b]

Alton Brown Makes Bacon in Waffle Iron (also has great tips for buying the right bacon)

Been using a Foreman Grill to do it for years ;)

The problem with microwaving bacon is that if you take shortcuts, you spatter the inside of the oven with bacon grease and everything smells like bacon. You might think this isn't an issue, but there are things that I prefer not to have the bacon odor embedded in it. Most of the bacon preparation at my house is done by the kids, and if there is something that will take a tenth of a microsecond off what they have to do to get what they want, they'll take that shortcut.

Bacon in Microwave: get a bacon rack -- it's a little plastic stand/grill thingee that lets the bacon get cooked from above and below and drain off the fat so it isn't soggy -- I put it on a plate to collect the fat and cover it with waxed paper to stop the splatter without the stick-to-the-food problem of paper towels.

Moral of this story = mmmmmmmmmm, Bacon! :P---

I still prefer the microwave option to the skillet option' date=' which spatters the entire damn kitchen with bacon grease and then the whole house smells like bacon. Which is awesome! Except for the mess.[/quote']

A $15 - $20 splatter guard available at any number of stores will take care of that.

• 1 month later...

Here's a list of 40 eating challenges that result in free food or prizes. (via Consumerist)

Example:

2. Jack 'n Grill

Food Challenge: As seen on the Travel Channel's popular "Man vs Food" show, the famous Jack-n-Grill seven-pound burrito eats more like a casserole than a burrito. Women who complete the challenge receive free food for life at Jack 'n Grill. Only three women have ever finished the challenge and word on the street is they never returned for more.

One of the local bars has a 5lb "Monster" burger challenge for $25 (to pay for, not to receive as a prize). Unfortunately, it's fairly weak as challenges go. While it has to be consumed in an hour, you do NOT have to eat the baskets of french fries & onion rings it comes with. Nor do you have to eat any toppings it comes with (lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles). You can hit the restroom at any time with no penalty. And all you get for your efforts is your name on the wall.

Here's a list of 40 eating challenges that result in free food or prizes. (via Consumerist)

Yow! Some of those challenges look like they lead to fame of the posthumous variety.

Though that fifteen-pound burger... if you finish it in three hours you get it for free. I wonder what you get if you finish it in thirty minutes?

From food for the uncaring to dining for the actively self loathing

Maggot Cheese

I just read part of the description, and yow!

Casu marzu is considered toxic when the maggots in the cheese have died. Because of this, only cheese in which the maggots are still alive is eaten.

"I'm sorry, sir, but this cheese is no good. It killed the maggots that were eating it." :angst:

When the cheese has fermented enough, it is cut into thin strips and spread on moistened Sardinian flatbread (pane carasau), to be served with a strong red wine.

Oh, so you eat it while you're getting bombed. That explains a lot.

Casu marzu is believed to be an aphrodisiac by local Sardinians.

Someone tell me, how is this horror supposed to arouse women... ?

Because the larvae in the cheese can launch themselves for distances up to 15 centimetres (6 in) when disturbed, diners hold their hands above the sandwich to prevent the maggots from leaping into their eyes.

As Homer Simpson of Springfield, U.S.A., would put it, "it just gets worse and worse!"

Those who do not wish to eat live maggots place the cheese in a sealed paper bag. The maggots, starved for oxygen, writhe and jump in the bag, creating a "pitter-patter" sound. When the sounds subside, the maggots are dead and the cheese can be eaten.

I was hungry until I read this description. Now I'm not sure if I ever want to eat again. :weep: