Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

To be realistic, the KFC Double Down has less fat, calories, and sodium than a lot of things you eat from fast food restaurants. It has 540 calories, 32g of fat, & 1380mg of sodium for the fried version. The grilled has less fat and more sodium.

Compare to 790/53g/1660mg for the Wendys chicken BLT Salad, 790/39g/2070 for the Mcdonalds Angus Bacon Burger, 770/44g/1240 for a Whopper w/cheese, or 620/32g/1720mg for two slices of a medium MeatZZa Feast deep dish pizza. 970/62/1310 for a Five Guys Bacon Cheeseburger.

Anyone eat at Denny's this morning? 795/50/2237 for the original Denny's Grand Slam breakfast.

Better get the fish, right? BKs Big Fish has 640/32/1540. Quiznos Tuna Melt has 1760/133/2120.

Feel free to try the Double Down, as long as you don't make it a regular habit. I had one to celebrate my 90 lb weight loss. It was pretty good.

To be realistic, the KFC Double Down has less fat, calories, and sodium than a lot of things you eat from fast food restaurants. It has 540 calories, 32g of fat, & 1380mg of sodium for the fried version. The grilled has less fat and more sodium.

Compare to 790/53g/1660mg for the Wendys chicken BLT Salad, 790/39g/2070 for the Mcdonalds Angus Bacon Burger, 770/44g/1240 for a Whopper w/cheese, or 620/32g/1720mg for two slices of a medium MeatZZa Feast deep dish pizza. 970/62/1310 for a Five Guys Bacon Cheeseburger.

Anyone eat at Denny's this morning? 795/50/2237 for the original Denny's Grand Slam breakfast.

Better get the fish, right? BKs Big Fish has 640/32/1540. Quiznos Tuna Melt has 1760/133/2120.

Feel free to try the Double Down, as long as you don't make it a regular habit. I had one to celebrate my 90 lb weight loss. It was pretty good.

Thanks for finding the numbers and saving me the trouble. :)

I've been kind of confused the entire time people have been talking about the Double Down. It is two chicken boneless chicken breasts with a slice or two of bacon and some cheese. I just don't see what people think is so exceptionally unhealthy about it.

I've gotta say' date=' I don't see the physical appeal of Giada. Her head is enormous and her smile is creepy at best. And the camera is always shooting from above which makes her freakishly large head look even freakishly larger![/quote']

I find her quite attractive, though I think some of the appeal comes from the fact the wardrobe department only stocks low cut tops.

The double down is really only worrisome in that it's a combo of several high-cholesterol foods and likely to be so filling that people won't eat many vegetables along with it. I'd imagine that any food with a comparably-sized entree serving of beef or pork would be worse for you, for example.

The double down is really only worrisome in that it's a combo of several high-cholesterol foods and likely to be so filling that people won't eat many vegetables along with it. I'd imagine that any food with a comparably-sized entree serving of beef or pork would be worse for you' date=' for example.[/quote']

True, but that is the case with all fast food. I'm not that familiar with the vegetables available at KFC but I doubt they are any healthier than the sandwich or more nourishing than the wrapper. An occasional trip through the grease gauntlet isn't a death sentence if you are eating a sensible diet most other days.

I find her quite attractive' date=' though I think some of the appeal comes from the fact the wardrobe department only stocks low cut tops.[/quote']

Which is the reason for those look-down-her-cleavage camera angles, I should think. :eg:

The actual shake recipe in the following story sounds ... formidable.

But, what I find particularly mind-blowing are the comparisons that ... experts ... use in this story. I just KNOW that somebody somewhere will be thinking "SIXTY-EIGHT strips of bacon??? Hey, that sounds like a good idea for a new drink".

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/odd/7302962/2000-calorie-milkshake-tops-list-of-worst-us-drinks/

The actual shake recipe in the following story sounds ... formidable.

But, what I find particularly mind-blowing are the comparisons that ... experts ... use in this story. I just KNOW that somebody somewhere will be thinking "SIXTY-EIGHT strips of bacon??? Hey, that sounds like a good idea for a new drink".

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/odd/7302962/2000-calorie-milkshake-tops-list-of-worst-us-drinks/

Or to make a mug for the shake in question.

The husband and I indulged in a decadent dessert at a new restaurant near us called "The Elvis".

Caramelized banana, peanut butter mousse, and a chocolate brownie topped with bacon-marshmallow cream.

It was yummy. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, the classic bodybuilding weight gainer shake with protein powder, ice, whole milk, wheat germ, banana, berries & peanut butter is fairly horrific from a calories point of view. You can certainly get 500+ calories into a shake like that even if you're trying to be healthy, and 1000+ calories if you're being indulgent.

The gym I'll be working out at sells protein shakes and other supplements. I have no doubt that they taste absolutely horrible. Since I'm trying to lose weight, not put on muscle mass so much, I won't be going anywhere near them -- besides, they cost too much.

One product they are rather keen on pushing is called Muscle Milk. Consumer Reports says that three servings a day of Muscle Milk contains too much cadmium and lead, something the manufacturer disputes as they seemingly always do. Of course, the open question is why you need to put ANY cadmium or lead into a protein shake in the first place.