Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

30 minute drive in LA? So it was what' date=' three, three-and-a-half blocks away? :winkgrin:[/quote']

Heh' date=' sadly, that's what I thought, too.[/quote']

Roughly 15 miles, but in the middle of the day. As long as you avoid freeways during rush hour (and some on weekends), it's really not that bad.

Just had a "Reggie" at a place called Pine Street Biscuits (which is not actually on Pine Street -- it's on Alberta in Northeast Portland). Basically it's a biscuit sandwich with fried chicken, cheese, bacon and sausage gravy. You eat it with a knife and fork -- it's not a good idea to pick it up and bite down. Delicious, but now I feel guilty. I had it with an exquisitely spicy Ginger Ale.

Just took a batch of these out of the oven. Probably my favorite cookie these days.

Rugelach (Rougarts)

8 oz cream cheese at room temperature

½ lb butter at room temperature

¼ cup sugar

¼ tsp kosher salt

1 tsp vanilla

2 cups flour

Filling:

6 Tablespoons sugar

¼ cup light brown sugar

1 ½ tsp cinnamon

¾ cup raisins

1 cup walnuts finely chopped

½ cup apricot preserves or jam(any preserve or jam will do)

Cream the cream cheese and butter. Add the sugar salt and vanilla and then the flour. Divide dough into 4 pieces, wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. Mix all filling ingredient except the jam. On a well floured board, roll out a ball of dough into a 9 inch circle. Spread with 2 Tablespoons of jam and sprinkle with ½ cup of the filling. Cut the circle into 12 wedges (a pizza cutter is the best tool for this). Starting with the wide edge, roll up each wedge into a crescent. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat. Repeat with remaining dough. Make an egg wash from I egg beaten with 1 Tablespoon milk. Brush each cookie with a little egg wash. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar (3 Tablespoons sugar mixed with 1 tsp cinnamon). Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

Alternate Filling:

½ lb ground walnuts

¾ cup sugar

1 egg

1 Tablespoon cream or milk

I might as well ask this here: a White Castle just opened up near my house' date=' and I'm curious about their menu. I seem to recall some folks here as having talked about the chain. Is their food any good or not?[/quote']

I find their burgers slimy and disgusting. Some people love them. It's one of those things you have to try and see how you feel. That being said, it's been something like 15 years since I last darkened their doorway.

I might as well ask this here: a White Castle just opened up near my house' date=' and I'm curious about their menu. I seem to recall some folks here as having talked about the chain. Is their food any good or not?[/quote']

I like their food but I have to be in the mood for it. Their onion rings are quite good, among the best in fast food, IMO. I find their breakfast menu particularly good though. For one thing, they used actual eggs not that yellow mix that most fast food places use.

As a native californian, I was told I had to check it out when I was in Chicago for a visit. it was awful.

However:

It's been a while for me, but White Castle was one of those things I ate because it was cheap, not because it was really that good.

The one and only time I had White Castle, they gave me the trots something awful. I figure their burgers are called "sliders" because they slide down your alimentary canal like the Swiss bobsledding team, yodeling the whole way. Never again. :sick:

But, you know, tastes vary. Lotsa people swear by 'em instead of at 'em. ;)

Tuna...*drools*

One of the things I like about a very nearby market here is you can get sashimi-grade tuna (and other fish) there. They make a few common rolls, too. But you can get the top-quality fish and prepare it as you like.

[h=2]Pate De Chateau Blanc[/h]12 White Castle Hamburgers

4 eggs

1 cup milk

1/4 cup cognac

1/4 tsp leaf marjoram

pinch allspice

Remove half the bun from each White castle hamburger and discard.

Discard pickle, grind in food/meat grinder then add eggs and liquids or blend in food processor with eggs and liquids a few at a time. Do not puree. Pack mixture into an greased standard sized bread pan. Place pan into a larger pan and pour boiling water into the larger pan to level half the depth of the bead pan. Bake in @350 for 1 hour. Cool loaf in refrigerator, overnight is best. Turn it out on a plate, decorate with cream cheese and stuffed olives. And cut pate into slices.

Pate De Chateau Blanc

12 White Castle Hamburgers

4 eggs

1 cup milk

1/4 cup cognac

1/4 tsp leaf marjoram

pinch allspice

Discard pickle, grind in food/meat grinder then add eggs and liquids or blend in food processor with eggs and liquids a few at a time. Do not puree. Pack mixture into an greased standard sized bread pan. Place pan into a larger pan and pour boiling water into the larger pan to level half the depth of the bead pan. Bake in @350 for 1 hour. Cool loaf in refrigerator, overnight is best. Turn it out on a plate, decorate with cream cheese and stuffed olives. And cut pate into slices.

a97197_g131_1-kfc-serving.jpg

Now look what you've done, Nevelon. You've rendered Mattingly Speechless! :tsk:

:rofl:

Pate De Chateau Blanc

12 White Castle Hamburgers

4 eggs

1 cup milk

1/4 cup cognac

1/4 tsp leaf marjoram

pinch allspice

You know, it doesn't sound horrible.