Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

On 4/11/2022 at 10:45 PM, wcw43921 said:

I may not be white, but I'm Still Caucasian.  .  .

spacer.png

I am of Irish decent and so pale I make Jim Gaffigan look like Samuel L. Jackson and I wouldn’t drink that sludge with your esophagus.

On 4/12/2022 at 6:48 PM, Logan.1179 said:

Like I needed another reason to avoid Easter candy. 

From the story:

Easter, though, perhaps owing to its religious background, demands only the worst possible version of each type of candy, customized for the resurrection of the lord Jesus Christ via pastel shades and bunny shapes.

Now, let's be fair;  the candy iconography is pagan, not Christian.  It's spring, it's fertility and growth and new life.  But the writer's otherwise spot on.

Calling Easter's offerings "candy" is a GROSS mischaracterization.  It's gunky, gooey, and uniformly AWFUL junk.  It's worse than most Valentine's candy...which can be just fine, thank you, but the average supermarket boxed assortment is just plain BAD.  ALL the major candy holidays have that...chocolate Santas at Christmas are the same as the chocolate bunnies at Easter, waxy, godawful aftertaste...BLEAH!!!

But the others all have redeeming aspects.  Plenty of decent, if everyday, stuff for Halloween;  high end chocs come out at Christmas and Valentine's.  Easter has nothing above abysmal.  

I'm talking myself to commit an act of defiance...a bag of Sprouts' dark chocolate coated almonds...sweetened with stevia.  (Almost no sugar issue at all.  Calories, OTOH....)  Fighting back against bad Easter pseudo-candy!!  Who's with me????  

29 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

From the story:

Now, let's be fair;  the candy iconography is pagan, not Christian.  It's spring, it's fertility and growth and new life.  But the writer's otherwise spot on.

Calling Easter's offerings "candy" is a GROSS mischaracterization.  It's gunky, gooey, and uniformly AWFUL junk.  It's worse than most Valentine's candy...which can be just fine, thank you, but the average supermarket boxed assortment is just plain BAD.  ALL the major candy holidays have that...chocolate Santas at Christmas are the same as the chocolate bunnies at Easter, waxy, godawful aftertaste...BLEAH!!!

But the others all have redeeming aspects.  Plenty of decent, if everyday, stuff for Halloween;  high end chocs come out at Christmas and Valentine's.  Easter has nothing above abysmal.  

I'm talking myself to commit an act of defiance...a bag of Sprouts' dark chocolate coated almonds...sweetened with stevia.  (Almost no sugar issue at all.  Calories, OTOH....)  Fighting back against bad Easter pseudo-candy!!  Who's with me????  

I would stand with you but the thing that gets forgotten at this time of year is that Easter candy is for CHILDREN! 
Cute little buggers with no sense of taste. They actually like junk candy.  Decent quality chocolate would be wasted on them.  Besides, mostly they take one or two bites of something, squish in their fist, drop it onto the carpet for the dog to try and eat and move on to the next brightly wrapped piece of inedible drek.

Anyone thinking about wasting hand-dipped caramels on a three year old deserves the frustration they feel.

Put them to bed after their sugar comas and then break out the good stuff. 

12 minutes ago, Tjack said:

Besides, mostly they take one or two bites of something, squish in their fist, drop it onto the carpet for the dog to try and eat

Oh, so you're ok with trying to poison the dog, now???

And look, it's never too early to try to impart SOME sense of good taste.  No, I'm not wasting my 60% African small-farm, small-batch chocolate bars, but Peeps are 2-3 steps below chocolate Santas and bunnies, so there's room for a middle ground.  

(I remember getting a couple 1 or 1.5 ounce mini bars like that.  Oh.  My.  Gosh.  TO DIE FOR.  Flavor lingered for a good 5 minutes, I swear.  SOOOO good.  Those days are long gone, alas;  that store was only open for a couple of years.  Part of the problem is, it's simply TOO HOT down here to safely ship good chocolate.  The forecast highs for the next week:  86, 86, 87, 90, 88, 90, 90, 89.  In APRIL  There was a short period where a few surprising stores popped up...but all of em closed maybe 15 years ago, give or take.  Now we're Wal Mart and chain restaurants almost exclusively.)

59 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Oh, so you're ok with trying to poison the dog, now???

No, that’s why I said “try to eat”.  Please don’t accuse me of this, now. This is the kind of thing the internet crazies get a hold of and never let go. 😇

9 hours ago, Tjack said:

I would stand with you but the thing that gets forgotten at this time of year is that Easter candy is for CHILDREN! 

That's no excuse! As a child I ODed on Easter jellybeans one year and I still can't eat them more than four decades later. Save the children, give them good candy!

11 minutes ago, tombrown803 said:

But, Tjack, everybody on this site is crazy, we're gamers!

No, no, the difference is that we’re “fun” crazy.  Out there is “CRAZY” crazy.  I made a vaguely humorous comment on YouTube one time that while I loved the music and imagery of Van Morrison when you read his lyrics they never make any literal sense.  What does the “You can’t stop us on the road to freedom” part have do do with how sweet your girlfriend is?  (Read the lyrics to Tupelo Honey sometime)

You would have thought I had attacked the Holy frickin’ Bible!  “THIS IS POETRY!!”  YOU’RE JUST TOO STUPID TO UNDERSTAND POETRY!!”  “VAN MORRISON IS A GREAT AMERICAN POET!!”   It got worse when I pointed out that he’s wasn’t American, he’s Irish.

Beware my warning my friends, don’t mess with the internet crazies.

On 4/14/2022 at 11:13 AM, Cygnia said:

I've mentioned how much of a [BLEEP] Van Morrison is the one time I had the misfortune of meeting him...

Probably, I once met Harlan Ellison and he was just as much of an insulting, demeaning a-hole as he was often reported to be.   After a while I realized it didn’t matter as long as I enjoyed the art, I could try to ignore the artist.  This does not always work. *coughCosbycough*

Mmmmmmmmmm....

Every recipe from that 5 pounds of shrooms looks AWESOME.  Duxelles...usable on almost ANYTHING.  They take *forever* to really get them cooked down.  The fried oyster 'leaves'...yeah, what's not to love.  Simple batter, simple prep.  Kind of expensive to get a reasonable amount of food, but not too bad.  Musroom risotto...the reason why you use the dried mushrooms is the liquid.  I've tried risotto;  overall, I don't think I've had enough patience.  And potentially not the best rice;  risotto rice is a bit different from most.  The morel cream sauce...oh my.  Morels are heaven.  SERIOUSLY expensive...I don't even want to think what those ran him, fresh.  I'm not sure morels have been cultivated.  There is one somewhat pretentious element here...just happening to have some demi-glace on hand.  Mild eye roll. :) The mushroom toast overall is the most chef-y, fancy dish, where it's finished with a relatively elaborate presentation.  Sounds awesome tho.

I like his style, too.  Those aren't an amateur's skills.  But he's never talking down...simplifying sometimes, but never talking down.