Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

The discontinued fast foods is also surprisingly interesting.    Some of em make absolute sense:  the McPizza would take too long...and might well require too much labor.  There's also storage issues with the dough.  The McLobster has a clear supply chain issue.  And neither fit with Micky D's.  Mind, Micky D's has tried repeatedly to make itself something more/something better....  Of ALL the fast food chains, they're the one I loathe because of their ads.

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The discontinued fast foods is also surprisingly interesting.    Some of em make absolute sense:  the McPizza would take too long...and might well require too much labor.  There's also storage issues with the dough.  The McLobster has a clear supply chain issue.  And neither fit with Micky D's.  Mind, Micky D's has tried repeatedly to make itself something more/something better....  Of ALL the fast food chains, they're the one I loathe because of their ads.

The McLobster was frequently on the signboard for the McDonald's restaurants in Maine when I'd go to visit Mom. I don't really care for lobster rolls when they are homemade, and I certainly wasn't going to brave them at McDonald's.

Never heard of pectin before, for ice cream, but I can believe it.

I remember the original Good Eats episode.  Managed to do his chocolate ice cream...a French style with egg yolk...ohhh my gosh.....  Egg yolk ice creams are a little trickier, because the yolk can curdle somewhat before it gets blended in.  

Vanilla bean paste is awesome stuff.  Expensive as heck, but incredibly good, and far more convenient than vanilla beans.  Easier to measure accurately, too.

It's a BLOODY GOOD THING I just don't do ice cream any more.  THAT LOOKS TOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!  Richer than Bezos, mind, but YUMMM...... 

And that orange liqueur recipe...oh my.  

The major reason why I started to understand how to cook was AB.  Emeril was inspirational...but getting half the stuff he did on Emeril Live was implausible.  Those were the days;  it's been ages since I watched Food Network at all.  Too many STUPID "reality-competition" shows.

GOD, I hope not!!!

I doubt this would seriously increase poaching, but anything that encourages it, is something I'll violently oppose.  I get that it's cultivated;  that'll turn off a WHOLE lotta people in the first place, but when it's an endangered species?  No.  

Wanna cultivate?  Gimme a good tuna alternative.  Not lion, or rhino, or anything along those lines.

Not food per se, but related.

Netflix is rebooting Iron Chef, apparently in the original format.  (So, presumably, no insipid surprise ingredient, for example.)

8, 45 minute episodes.  Alton Brown and Kristen Kesh (who won Top Chef, apparently) are floor commentators,  Mark Dacasos returns as The Chairman.  That actually makes me think it'll have less foolishness than the later seasons on Food Network devolved to.

June 15th, Netflix.  

23 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

So...it'll be cancelled halfway through.  Got it.

Kish has legit chops though.

Only 8 episodes.  Quite possible most are in the bag.  Plus, Netflix announced 2 spinoffs...IC Mexico and IC Brazil.  Those will be interesting;  how often do we get exposed to legit foreign cuisine?  

I will say, if Netflix cancels "Taco Chronicles", I will riot.

(seriously, probably my favorite Netflix show.  The one thing that really perked me up crashing with my in-laws last year is that they have Netflix and I was able to binge s2)

3 hours ago, Cygnia said:

I couldn't laugh.....because it's too often true.......

Logan:  Food Network became unwatchable for me years ago.  Too many ridiculous pseudo-reality shows.  It wasn't worth searching for anything that might be worth my time.

Of course, food on TV is generally handled......really, really badly.  TBS has a new "cooking" show called Rat in the Kitchen, which is supposed to be a competition...but the goal of one of the contestants is to secretly wreck all the others.  Well, we know what we can expect from anything Turner...absolute dreck.  I can't *stand* Gordon Ramsay.