Weirdness wanted

Simon_Harrison

I am running a stupidly ambitious champions campaign. The setting is dark, emerging powers set in 1980s New York. The flavour is x-filesish. The modus operandi is newspaper articles - ie I write lots of newspaper articles containing weirdness which the players can investiagte (or not). Some are links to long term plots, some one offs, some red herrings, some are mundane news articles to complete the newspaper page. You get the idea. Speed is slow - ie each session covers a couple of days of game play, so I have to write a couple of days' worth of news stories every month (our game interval) - generally about 4-6 new/follow up stories each day (a number of which are now generated by the players themselves!)

So, your help? Any random weirdness that could be turned into a story with or without plot (I can make one up to go with any weirdness you think of!, or it can be a red herring) - I just don't want it to get stale now I've been going a couple of years, so I figured maybe outside input would help. I'll be very grateful for any suggestions, large or small!

Thanks in advance,

Simon Harrison

Weird idea #1: Women from all walks of life, some considered lower class, others prominently positioned, have been seen sporting a silver bracelet with dark gem stone on their left wrist. All the bracelets look alike, yet these women have no public connection and claim none.

Soap Stars Report Alien Abductions!

Strawberry Pie Diet Plan!

Pet Resurectionist Can Bring Fido Home!

New Talking Teddy Will Teach Your Child!

Smart Breast Implants Double Your Cup Size And Your IQ!

Charlies Angels Real Adventure!

Gravity; Will it always be there for you?

Chocolate Magnate Canibal!?!

There are lots of truly bizarre ideas to be found in tabloid newspapers - the headlines alone can spark interesting concepts. I was once part of a shared GM campaign in which we each accepted the challenge to develop a Champions plot based on an actual tabloid headline. These are the ones we used:

"Half-Human/Half-Seal Baby Washed Up on Beach!"

"Satan's Face Appears on Mountain in Norway!"

"Rash of Spontaneous Human Combustions in Louisiana!"

One of the few GURPS supplements I own is their Illuminati supplement. Great conspiracy ideas.

real news you can use:

http://www.washtimes.com/business/20030521-094809-8963r.htm

and

http://www.aclu.org/Privacy/Privacy.cfm?ID=12704&c=39

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_794215.html

http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/business/2003/06/27airportxraysmay.html

Anyway there are x-ray systems in use today to look through clothing, through cargo containers in shipyards, through cars and trucks etc. As well as isotope based systems. search a bit in the news and you can find a lot of strange stuff.

Spontaneous Combustion on the Increase

Blizzards in August

The Phantom of the Soap Opera? Stars claim to see shadowy figure at studio who vanishes from closed rooms.

Lorry of Fish Heads Vanishes

Handless Corpse Tally Rises

Brownouts - Where Does All the Power Go?

Bizarre Aztec Object Found. Professor says it proves they were visited by aliens.

Mice Found on the Moon

I Was a Teenage Senior Citizen

Role Playing Games Forums Linked to Sleep Deprivation

If you're interested, I'll e-mail you copies of our campaign's newspaper, Weekly Globe Enquirer. It not only provides data on recent superheroic activities, but also leads, red herrings and fluff. (Sound familiar?). I've got 3 issues so far, #4 is currently in progress. (Including an interview with my superheroine.) :)

Although most of the headlines submitted were of the tabloid variety, I wasn't sure from your original post that tabloid headlines were what you were looking for. I though you may have been looking for "normal" headlines that hinted at High Strangeness to people disposed to look for it.

I'd highly recommend looking at Fortean Times, a British periodical (available in America) which chronicles a lot of strange reports from around the world. Recent issues have covered SARS panics, Japanese cult activity, theories of disease from space debris, strange deaths (a monthly column), out-of-place animals (big cats in Britain, etc), and a lot more. They both reprint, without commentary, articles reported in other news publications, and print longer articles on particular topics, which range from sober and scholarly to panicky true-believer. They have a web page at:

www.forteantimes.com

where the daily news headlines for today (8/28) include:

Pony injured by 'big cat'

Rainbow miracle

Fired Fair Employee Strips, Hit by Train

Satanist trial opens in Brazil

Mars Approach Will Spawn Record Number Of Alien Hybrid Babies

Bonsai trees pampered in own hotel in Portugal

Man Burns Down Apartments in Wasp Hunt

Eating bats not as healthy as you thought

Sorry that this reply is a bit late.

My kid and I were just talking about the WWN and "science" the other day when I came up for a fun idea for a character ... ELVIS.

Yep, The King did fake his death. Too many nitrates from fried bologna sandwiches and strange pesticides used on the bananas in those PB&B sandwiches account for any powers you might want to give him. Make him PC, NPC hero or villian. You're choice, although Elvis as villian does appeal.

Maybe his "body" disappears from Graceland.

HIs secret ID is fry cook at a Bob's Big Boy.

Seriously (if you can take tabloid headlines seriously) you might also want to check out some conspiracy theory websites. I bet you can have lots of fun between those, the ideas here, urban legends (http://www.snopes.com) and other tabloid headlines.

Originally posted by LadyChaos

My kid and I were just talking about the WWN and "science" the other day when I came up for a fun idea for a character ... ELVIS.

Yep, The King did fake his death. Too many nitrates from fried bologna sandwiches and strange pesticides used on the bananas in those PB&B sandwiches account for any powers you might want to give him. Make him PC, NPC hero or villian. You're choice, although Elvis as villian does appeal.

Seriously (if you can take tabloid headlines seriously) you might also want to check out some conspiracy theory websites. I bet you can have lots of fun between those, the ideas here, urban legends (http://www.snopes.com) and other tabloid headlines.

That's funny, one of the PCs in my current game is a morph-type who loves to imitate Elvis and has spent lots of points to do so (as well as received lots of points from the GM who loves the whole thing and how the character handles it). He's actually this weird lifeform with no real knowledge of his past except that he awoke in this biochem (and more) company's lab, as the subject of experimentation.

Now here's the funny part - when the character first came on the scene, the other players didn't know about the Elvis idea, and the player with this character had only conceived the idea and executed nothing, so there were no clues other than some reference on his sheet. Another player created an NPC for a detective agency with an extreme psych disad for...Elvis Presley! She loved him fanatically. So when Sammy, the character in question above, appeared as Elvis, she freaked out. She's still convinced that he really is Elvis, and that Elvis was/is a mutant. Unfortunately her love for him is unrequited (after all, he's not at all human), and now he's found one of his own kind and is becoming a partner with this new friend.

Originally posted by zornwil

That's funny, one of the PCs in my current game is a morph-type who loves to imitate Elvis and has spent lots of points to do so (as well as received lots of points from the GM who loves the whole thing and how the character handles it). He's actually this weird lifeform with no real knowledge of his past except that he awoke in this biochem (and more) company's lab, as the subject of experimentation.

Very cool. Have you checked out the Enforcers Inc thread?

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=110110#Kung

Originally posted by LadyChaos

What a coincidence.....The King is an NPC in my current campaign :) Here's a quick rundown:

Elvis Presley didn’t die of a drug overdose back in 1977, he just needed a…. break. Approached by a contact he had made in the D.E.A., the King was given the chance to disappear as well as purge his body of his drug and alcohol habit. Undergoing experiments linked to Project: Overlord, Elvis’ mega gene was triggered which not only reversed and slowed his aging, but also granted him superhuman speed and reflexes. This made his “stuff†all the more deadly. Claiming to be a clone of the original, the King now fights with Team Alpha in hopes to make the world a better place (and to get back into the spotlight, somewhat..). Sometimes heard singing under his breath, the King will deny, categorically, that he’s the original (though a deep mind scan will prove differently). Approached by Monty Lorde and promised a chance to be in the spotlight once again (and not on such a grand scale), the once and future King couldn’t resist and decided it was time for his triumphant return. Powers: amazing martial arts prowess, enhanced reflexes and senses, rapid healing, sonic scream and slowed aging. Appearance: “Young Elvis†(circa Jailhouse Rock)…usually wears black pants, shiny loafers, a white shirt with a large collar, a white silk scarf, and a gold, shiny, blazer…..uh huuuh!

Hi all,

I'm not sure how weird this is, but years ago, back when I had my 286 Tandy, I bought shareware programs from Software Shopper of Prospect, Ky. (I don't know if they're still in business.) One program I have is Galactic Headlines v1.1. It generates random headlines from the Galactic News Service. You can get them in multiples of five and either print them out or put them on your monitor. The last line always is "FILM AT 11". If you print it out, the line'll appear on your monitor.

Yours,

Mark Rand