how do you like your fantasy games

wyldspirit

I'm just curious as to what people like to play in terms of power level when in a fantasy game. Do you keep the points low and play it grim and realistic? Do you like characters that ooze magic and fighters that have sword energy attacks and other out there abilities? Are you in the middle or just play the Hero version of D&D?

Re: how do you like your fantasy games

I'm just curious as to what people like to play in terms of power level when in a fantasy game. Do you keep the points low and play it grim and realistic? Do you like characters that ooze magic and fighters that have sword energy attacks and other out there abilities? Are you in the middle or just play the Hero version of D&D?

I start them out with 25+25, it's not horrible grim, but it's not easy either. This time, I took out magic and lowered the damage limit of the fighters (at the player's request). It's kinda the Hero version of D&D, at 1st to 3rd level, with a lots of races and classes to choose from.

I dig very low power nitty-gritty that eventually (over the course of a few years' worth of campaigning) becomes absurdly demigod-like high fantasy. If done right, it's a blast.

I like to start them at 50 + 50 but I also run a number of 75 + 75 games (that all have 100+ XP). I like magic rare but powerful. Few non-humans and mythic creatures as mythic creatures instead of as a whole species.

I really like Sword and Sorcery, but I like high fantasy too.

Which reminds me, I still gotta read Zelazny's "Amber" sequence.

If I was running a campaign, I'd start it out fairly low level, maybe 50+50 or 75+75. Characters would have to rely on their wits, smarts, cunning and skills as much as their muscles and martial abilities. Things wouldn't be grim and gritty, but it certainly wouldn't be all sunshine and roses and bluebirds singing, either.

I usually run low points (50+50 is typical for starting, though we have gone as low as 25+25) with a "realistic" feel, but not necessarily grim. Occasionally, though I also run high fantasy (starting points 300+).

cheers, Mark

We play mid-fantasy with 75+75disads. Emphasis on having cool skills and neat spells. The current campaign is our 4th Edition DnD campaign converted to hero to save our collective sanity. So I guess the game is currently high fantasy. We are having fun with it.

I like to run stuff that's even higher power than that. I like my fantasy games to be 100+75 disads.

Of course my urban Fantasy is superheroic in pointage, but it's hard to write up a werewolf for 75+75 and have them feel right IMHO.

Tasha

I could care less the power levels...just please give me a good, charismatic bad guy to go after in the end. Because wading through level after level of mindless orcs, kobalds and bugbears is lame, unless there's a confrontation with the big boss at the end. And if s/he's a Byronic Hero of sorts, that's good too.

Well I think by default my friends have always played the standard 75 + 75 point characters. But, in my Oriental Hero I made the characters 110 + 50 points. Martial abilities are so expensive! But as most on this thread, I'm game to any power level. :king:

I could care less the power levels...just please give me a good' date=' charismatic bad guy to go after in the end. Because wading through level after level of mindless orcs, kobalds and bugbears is lame, unless there's a confrontation with the big boss at the end. And if s/he's a Byronic Hero of sorts, that's good too.[/quote']

byronic hero?