TV to rpg

quozaxx

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: TV to rpg

I doubt it is a slight' date=' they was a TOS rpg from FASA and Last Unicorn Games covered the other series up to, but not including, Voyager. (I think)[/quote']

Two separate systems. Possibly two and a half, depending on how you look at it.

FASATrek lasted from around ST II: TWoK until early TNG - well-detailed background (subjected to numerous alterations), very clunky system.

LUGTrek came up afterwards, had sourcebooks covering TOS, TNG and DS9, and lasted until Voyager - had a Voyager book advertised as coming soon, but then crashed and burned. Had some very nice stuff (including a boxed set for Star Fleet Academy - maps, NPCs, the lot) but I cannot speak for the system - some people seem to love it and others definitely not.

Decipher then picked things up from LUG but, as I understand it, never seemed to fully understand the system they were producing.

LUG and Decipher alternately held the Trek RPG license and covered through Voyager. Nothing against LUG or Deciper, but a pox upon Voyager and Enterprise and all "continuity" they contained.

EDIT: Ninja'd. And Our Host wrote Trek supplements for (IIRC) both LUG and Decipher.

I'll second The Persuaders. That was a great show. What about The Professionals? Those guys kicked major butt. And The Avengers was good too, but I preferred the episodes with Emma Peel. Tara King was great, but she and Steed didn't have quite the same chemistry.

I read the folks who do Conspiracy X have the license for a Doctor Who RPG now. Don't know how it plays though. Be nice to get some use out of my Ten miniature one way or the other one of these days. :D

I thought Cubicle 7 had Dr Who rather than Eden Studios. That does remind me I had been meaning to pick up Victoriana and/or Qin to see how it they look.

The Champions ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Champions )

Three superpowered agents in a world of 60's cool. Gaining superpowers in their first adventure, then struggling to learn how to use their new abilities whilst battling international terrorists. What's not to love? (and they have such a cool name ;) )

I'd love to play a game that incorporated all that awesome 60's Telefantasy stuff. The Champions, The Avengers, Ace of Wands, The Prisoner, Department S, Adam Adamant, Sapphire and Steel... all gold!

Throw it all in together, or make up analogues... but I'd love to see a weird superspy game set in that kind of milieu.

Actually, for those who are interested, DC/Wildstorm did a neat series called 'The Establishment' in which a bunch of heroes who were analogues of Number 6 (The Prisoner), The Champions, John Steed and Emma Peel (The Avengers), The Doctor (Doctor Who), and Randall and Hopkirk, Deceased (known in the US as 'My Partner, The Ghost'). It didn't last very long, but what was there was awesome.

Another British show that would be a good basis - if a little odd - for a game setting could well be Sapphire and Steel ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire_and_Steel and http://www.clivebanks.co.uk/Sapphire%20and%20Steel%20Intro.htm ).

Very odd set up, with odder adventures and perhaps the most downbeat series ending ever.

Stargate, Serenity, Farscape, and Babylon 5. All of these TV series have made there way into role playing books.

I have played a game based on the TV show Heroes before.

Just out of curiosity did it use Hero System?

What other TV shows do you think would make a good role playing book (or game)?

I'm currently running a game loosely based on Sliders.

Eureka and the upcoming Warehouse 13 might make good rpgs. Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles set up a pretty developed temporal war between the resistance and the machines that could make good game fodder. The X-files have inspired a few games.

Another British show that would be a good basis - if a little odd - for a game setting could well be Sapphire and Steel ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire_and_Steel and http://www.clivebanks.co.uk/Sapphire%20and%20Steel%20Intro.htm ).

Very odd set up, with odder adventures and perhaps the most downbeat series ending ever.

Loved Sapphire & Steel growing up - still have nightmares about the faceless children. As for endings you may have forgotten about Blakes7:)

Another British show that would be a good basis - if a little odd - for a game setting could well be Sapphire and Steel...Very odd set up' date=' with odder adventures and perhaps the most downbeat series ending ever.[/quote']

Ooh yes, more British surreal-O-scifi! I can't rep you again, Dr. D, but you've made my day! I saw a lot of that kind of classic British programming while I was living in NZ, back in the late 70s. Sometimes the series got a bit fragmented, though....

I always wanted to see more of the other characters referenced during the opening credits of Sapphire and Steel...you know, the bit that ended with their icons being selected and the voice-over saying "Sapphire and Steel have been assigned."

My best friend and I played at being characters from the series; I was Jet (another character mentioned in the show's opening credits)...so in a way, I've already roleplayed in the Sapphire and Steel world. ;-D

And definitely Blake's 7 -- Kate and I played that one, too. What a revelation, ship-mates who don't actually like each other! Of course, after the series finalé, we had to change our game a bit.... Yes, DusterBoy, we decided Avon would survive to be taken prisoner by the Federation, and then rescued by...Vila, left for dead by the Federation. You see, Kate and I thought Vila was definitely the sort of person who'd have a very convincing "feign death" ability.... So we had Avon and Vila assembling a new 7, with Jenna Stannis (who never reappeared after the first season) returning to join them.

But nobody's mentioned The Tomorrow People? Is that one just too old or too murky (which, in British surreal-O-scifi, is really saying something)? It would fit together beautifully with the world of Sapphire and Steel.

But nobody's mentioned The Tomorrow People? Is that one just too old or too murky (which, in British surreal-O-scifi, is really saying something)? It would fit together beautifully with the world of Sapphire and Steel.

as i recall the tomorrow people were teenage psycics/mutants somaybe they would be more apropriate for a teen champions campiagn

...What about The Professionals? Those guys kicked major butt....

Yes, Bodie (William Bodine) and Doyle (Ray Doyle) were like a slightly later, more realistic and English version of Starsky and Hutch. Wonderful, wonderful programme! And Crowley, Bodie and Doyle's boss at CI5, brought in all the gravitas of that actor's many dramatic roles.

But much as I loved the programme, I don't think The Professionals would make an effective rpg. It's too real-world realistic...and that 'real world' is very dated.

On the other hand, if you wanted to play a police procedural rpg set in the 1980s, The Professionals would be your setting.

And if you wanted a police procedural set in the 1970s, you'd want The Sweeney

Jenna Stannis (who never reappeared after the first season)

Hello, I'm Korvar, and I'm an Internet pedant...

Anyway, Jenna was in Season 2 (although she sadly had less and less to do), and did appear briefly in Season 3 for a cameo, which established that she was picked up by the same "hospital" ship as Servalan. In the final episode, Blake said she died taking out half a squadron of gunships, but there's a lot of things Blake said that turned out not to be true.

I'm sorry, I just can't help myself...

Loved Sapphire & Steel growing up - still have nightmares about the faceless children. As for endings you may have forgotten about Blakes7:)

I'll NEVER forget Blake! I've actually resisted re-watching it in case it taints my memories :)

I do think however, that being stuck for eternity in a grotty old cafe is worse than going down quickly in a blaze of blaster fire ;)

But nobody's mentioned The Tomorrow People? Is that one just too old or too murky (which' date=' in British surreal-O-scifi, is really saying something)? It would fit together beautifully with the world of [i']Sapphire and Steel[/i].

as i recall the tomorrow people were teenage psycics/mutants somaybe they would be more apropriate for a teen champions campiagn

Ah yes, love the Tomorrow People.

I am, of course, referring to the original series from the 70's and not the incredible naff remake from the 90's.

Teenage psychics with teleport belts and an AI fight paranormal horror.

Good stuff!