TV to rpg

quozaxx

Stargate, Serenity, Farscape, and Babylon 5. All of these TV series have made there way into role playing books.

I have played a game based on the TV show Heroes before.

What other TV shows do you think would make a good role playing book (or game)?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: TV to rpg

Lost

It has everything. A great location. Smoke Monsters. Time Travel. Mysterious Others.

It would be great.

It did. It was. I played in an online LOST game for over two years. Not straight LOST--we populated the plane with characters from all sorts of other fandoms. The fun came in all the interactions between characters from different shows, movies, books and whatnot.

My PCs included George & Daisy (Dead Like Me), Ash (Army of Darkness), and Chloe Sullivan (Smallville), and they were far from the strangest characters in the game.

Lost

It has everything. A great location. Smoke Monsters. Time Travel. Mysterious Others.

It would be great.

Despite what Will Farrel is doing to it in theaters currently, the original Land of the Lost has all that and more. Dinosaurs. Proto-humans. Aliens. A lost city. Incredibly advanced technology. An artificial closed universe trapping beings from across time and space.

Highlander

Thunder Castle Games was working on it, but the company went under. Black Gate Publishing had a Highlander game (with the serial numbers filed off) set in a world similar to the World of Darkness.

There have been several unofficial adaptations fans made for AD&D, GURPS, HERO (see my sig), and the World of Darkness.

the champions ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/the_champions )

three superpowered agents in a world of 60's cool. Gaining superpowers in their first adventure, then struggling to learn how to use their new abilities whilst battling international terrorists. What's not to love? (and they have such a cool name ;) )

that would be cool

Rep for you, Dr. D! I thought I was the only one who remembered The Champions.

Now what about The Persuaders...? Anyone remember that one? [Late 1960s-70s show featuring millionaires Danny Wilde (Tony Curtis) and Lord Brett Sinclair (Roger Moore) globetrotting, crimebusting and generally getting in trouble...and looking oh-so-good while they did it. ;-) ]

The Persuaders would make a grand (if rather campy) rpg, as would The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (of course, back when I was watching them, it never occurred to me that they were "campy", or even that they were intended to be.)

The Prisoner? The Avengers?

Mission Im-freaking-possible, before Tom Cruise sodomized it?

Going to the cartoons that I dearly *want* to see done as RPG's, to the point of being willing to do myself....

Thundarr

Pirates of Dark Water

Centurions possible

Thunder Cats

And others, I'm sure....

Going to the cartoons that I dearly *want* to see done as RPG's, to the point of being willing to do myself....

Thundarr

Pirates of Dark Water

Centurions possible

Thunder Cats

And others, I'm sure....

young samson &goliath

My own humble suggestion would be Sliders.

I played in a superhero campaign where "sliding" became a major story arc, with the heroes trying to get home.

I loved that show at first. In later seasons someone apparently 'got creative' and destroyed it. Couldn't even watch last season eps out of shear lack of interest.

But the concept and early stuff was fantastic. Cool along the line of the first few seasons of SG1.

Thundarr

Pirates of Dark Water

Centurions possible

Thunder Cats

And others, I'm sure....

The prisoner had a setting book from GURPS a few years ago. The cover was a simple Penny Whistle bicycle.

I remember the gm adventure planning chart. It was two big circles side by side.

CES

Wild, Wild West

(cross genre western, weird, espionage, good fit for Hero)

Adventures of Brisco County Jr.

(Whatever you may think of it, it was gameable)

Space: Above and Beyond

(20 somethings war in space-much, much better than it sounds)

UFO

(the Gerry Anderson show about a covert Invasion)

The Invaders

(an American made show about a covert Invasion)

Space 1999

( a UN moonbase floating free through the cosmos and meeting mostly evil aliens, makes no sense what so ever and thus quite gameable)

Seaquest DSV

(Godawful show that didn't have to be, star trek below the waves.)