Naming the baby

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Naming the baby

It's going to be two books, so they'll each need their own nickname.

We'll probably have to wait and see. The 4th Ed book was called BBB - Big Blue Book. Let's campaign to get Steve to make the covers teal, so they can be TTT - Two Teal Tomes. Or not.

Some terms from craps (the dice game):

Sixie from Dixie (Since they're HQ'ed in South Carolina, or was it North Carolina?)

Sister Hicks

Jimmy Hicks

Columbian Breakfast (two white lines)

But yes, it needs to be "organic". Nicknames must be earned.

Well Steve is based in North Carolina.

Hero Games head office is in New York City.

Regardless, they need two nicknames, because it's two books. "6e" doesn't tell you which book.

I know, we can call them 6eC for the Character Creation book, and 6eC for the Combat book.

The names will be Character Creation Book and GameMastering And Adventuring Book IIRC.

Though it might be Combat & Adventuring. . .

And 6E1 and 6E2 are the shorthand Steve has used in the past.

6ECC and 6ECA maybe?

*shrugs*

Call 'em Jack and Jill for all I care.... :cool:

I like Egbert and it is an anagram of an acronym for Complex But Intuitive And Absorbing Role Playing Game*

*Not actually true but we could probably get enough people to believe it that the collective unconscious will make it so :)

The BBB came out of 4th Edition being a "Big Blue Book" and for it's time it was a pretty durn big book for an RPG. BBB hung around for years in limbo while the rights to the game passed from here to there and was kept alive in the hobby by small number of very dedicated fans. He name came organically from the circumstances. Fifth Edition became FRED because of a good joke from Steve, and it stuck (some would say too long, but FRED does have a certain charm.)

Right now any "pet name" for 6th edition is premature (I believe we need to have the physical product in hand) and really smacks of the same sort of marketing crap that I loathe. We don't have to come up with a catchy nickname for the sake of having a catchy nickname. Whatever we come up with is going to sound soulless and hollow.

Please, no SexEd. Not that I don't appreciate the in-joke, but in the end (and GOD I hate to say this) it's juvenile and sophomoric. I get enough grief for being such because of my hobbies and interests already, frankly I don't want to feed that particular fire.

I have been, and will likely continue to call it 6e. But then again, I refer to the current rules as either 5e or 5er. :)

I was amused a while back when someone tried to tell me that Fred (with whatever capitalization they were using) only referred to the Revised version of 5e. Apparently either not realizing or not caring that it predated the existence of the Revised version...

I have a name for it:

VISTA!

:rofl:

Seriously, I think we'll see a 6th Edition Revised announced within 6 moths of the release of 6th Edition! So much is being changed, it's inevitable!

;)

I doubt it. Give DOJ some credit for having a clue or two.