What's the craziest thing your Supers have ever done?

Mostlyjoe

Re: What's the craziest thing your Supers have ever done?

They were surprised that the assault didn't occur that night' date=' nor the next...[/quote']

Were they actually surprised? I mean...I just don't even know how to ask what I'm thinking. Was the whole group really confused why it didn't happen while they were there?

Were they actually surprised? I mean...I just don't even know how to ask what I'm thinking. Was the whole group really confused why it didn't happen while they were there?

I believe what you are asking is: "Were they all really that utterly clueless?"

*cough* My PC, Hermes, once solved the problem of a death ray that was killing White Crane ( a major NPC, think a wuxia-styled JLAer ). . .

. . .by hitting the focusing coils of the death ray as hard as he could. Which is about as hard as a tactical nuke. His logic was, it probably would do less damage broken than active.

The good news: it did in fact free White Crane from the death ray. The bad news: it went up like a *big* nuke. Hermes literally didn't notice being vaporized until Death basically tapped him on the shoulder.

( he got better later, time travel hijinks )

Back in the old days . . . 3ed time frame . . . a new group of superheroes, a team of five, discovered they were not able to reach any distance trouble sites as to a man they all lacked the same thing, flight or even serious running. To remedy this oversight, collectively they donated a few points of XP and purchased a reconditioned Vietnam veteran UH-1 Huey complete with the original Vietnam veteran pilot. Transportation problem solved.

Shortly thereafter a call of trouble south of the city had the team leaping into the Huey and striking off into the sky to rescue a couple of cute damsels while trying to keep damage to a minimum at the nuclear power plant. If the Huey hadn’t come in high to allow the one farseeing member a good look at the situation the resultant debacle might have been let spectacular.

Our farseeing member, know as Solder of Fortune, SOF for short, ID’d a known ‘brick’ type villain acting as lookout for whatever foul deal being conducted inside the power plant. Thinking, and I use the term loosely, it would be the perfect time to take out said lookout, our graduate of the Han Solo School of Action Without Thought unslung the tube of a LAW rocket from his back.

To more accurately set the scene . . . SOF is leaning out the right side door scoping out the approaching site. The left side door is closed. Three of his teammates are seated in the rear with him, all wearing headsets and making plans for their assault as SOF describes what he sees. The pilot and remaining teammate are concentrating on what is ahead as well as the conversation over the headset.

Pulling the rocket launcher out to its fully locked and loaded configuration and resting it on his shoulder, our expert in weapons touched the thing off. Side note, he did score a hit on the brick but no one really cared as the back blast of the rocket ignition ripped through the skin of the Huey and opened up the side of the engine like tissue paper. The resultant blast scattered pieces of helicopter over several square blocks, started a number of fires, killed the pilot, two members of the team and critically injured the rest. Solder of Fortune did not survive the 2000 foot fall.

The first Iconic superhero I ever met was Captain New Jersey. Now CNJ is not known for his foresight any more than Soldier of Fortune, so whilst strolling through the nightclub scene of San Francisco, CNJ ‘lucked out’ by stopping at a waterfront dive. As he stepped though the doors a roar of laugher from a table in the back of the room caught his attention. Stunned, he realized that all of his prayers had been answered. For some time CNJ had been hunting the notorious super villain group, Zodiac, and here, before his eyes, sat the entire team, some more than a little drunk. Did I mention CNJ’s overconfidence? Probably the finest example of it you will ever see ensued.

Teleporting onto the table, CNJ kicked over the nearest beer and loudly proclaimed “You are all under arrests, come quietly now and you won’t get hurt!”

Umm . . . all that could be seen from the outside of the bar where these giant letters like ‘biff!’, ‘sock!’, ‘wham!’, ‘oof!” and the ever popular ‘pow!” Someone ripped off one end of a beer keg and crammed Captain New Jersey inside, butt first. Thankfully they didn’t reseal it and with a liberal dose of Wesson oil, we managed to get him out.

Pulling the rocket launcher out to its fully locked and loaded configuration and resting it on his shoulder' date=' our expert in weapons touched the thing off. Side note, he did score a hit on the brick but no one really cared as the back blast of the rocket ignition ripped through the skin of the Huey and opened up the side of the engine like tissue paper. The resultant blast scattered pieces of helicopter over several square blocks, started a number of fires, killed the pilot, two members of the team and critically injured the rest. Solder of Fortune did not survive the 2000 foot fall.[/quote']

To quote KODT's Sarah - " *Sigh*. Another Polaroid moment..."

The first Champions group I played in, a friend was playing a blind brick martial artist (Midnight) on the team. The heroes were called to a break-in at a lab on the university campus by a supervillain group whom we had never even seen before, let alone fought. As soon as we showed up, Midnight was temporarily KO'd by most of the villain team.

While he was unconscious, the final supervillain showed up: a full-size, fire-breathing dragon. He pulled a massive PRE attack, which all of the conscious heroes failed to defend against, so all of us went running.

The dragon flew off and Midnight woke up to find his teammates were all gone, and the villain group was going about their business (not having noticed Midnight waking up). So despite the fact that these villains had just KO'd him moments ago, he snuck up behind the toughest villain and wound up for a pushed haymaker martial kick. With the element of surprise, he hit.

Two things of note. Said villain's entire schtick was Defense. He had one big attack he could use a time or two per day, but everything else was in Armor, PD, ED, etc. He rarely felt any attacks, and the best anyone could do was nickle-and-dime him until he fell or ran away.

Secondly, this was in 1st edition rules, where "martial arts" was bought by paying your STR in points, and for that you got a 1 1/2 x STR punch, or a 2x STR damage kick. Midnight had 60 STR, pushed to 70, so he had a base of 14d6. Then 2x for the Martial Kick, plus (IIRC) 1 1/2x for the Haymaker, and he ended up rolling 42d6.

To everyone's surprise (including the villains), Midnight managed to CON-Stun the guy. The villain just stood there, swaying and muttering, "... I *felt* that..." while Midnight looked at the other villains and said, "Okay, who's next?"

Luckily, the rest of us finally calmed down and returned to the scene, but it was a defining moment for Midnight.

The first Champions group I played in, a friend was playing a blind brick martial artist (Midnight) on the team. The heroes were called to a break-in at a lab on the university campus by a supervillain group whom we had never even seen before, let alone fought. As soon as we showed up, Midnight was temporarily KO'd by most of the villain team.

While he was unconscious, the final supervillain showed up: a full-size, fire-breathing dragon. He pulled a massive PRE attack, which all of the conscious heroes failed to defend against, so all of us went running.

The dragon flew off and Midnight woke up to find his teammates were all gone, and the villain group was going about their business (not having noticed Midnight waking up). So despite the fact that these villains had just KO'd him moments ago, he snuck up behind the toughest villain and wound up for a pushed haymaker martial kick. With the element of surprise, he hit.

Two things of note. Said villain's entire schtick was Defense. He had one big attack he could use a time or two per day, but everything else was in Armor, PD, ED, etc. He rarely felt any attacks, and the best anyone could do was nickle-and-dime him until he fell or ran away.

Secondly, this was in 1st edition rules, where "martial arts" was bought by paying your STR in points, and for that you got a 1 1/2 x STR punch, or a 2x STR damage kick. Midnight had 60 STR, pushed to 70, so he had a base of 14d6. Then 2x for the Martial Kick, plus (IIRC) 1 1/2x for the Haymaker, and he ended up rolling 42d6.

To everyone's surprise (including the villains), Midnight managed to CON-Stun the guy. The villain just stood there, swaying and muttering, "... I *felt* that..." while Midnight looked at the other villains and said, "Okay, who's next?"

Luckily, the rest of us finally calmed down and returned to the scene, but it was a defining moment for Midnight.

Wow. (ROFL :rofl:)

Back in the old days . . . 3ed time frame . . . a new group of superheroes' date=' a team of five, discovered they were not able to reach any distance trouble sites as to a man they all lacked the same thing, flight or even serious running. To remedy this oversight, collectively they donated a few points of XP and purchased a reconditioned Vietnam veteran UH-1 Huey complete with the original Vietnam veteran pilot. Transportation problem solved.[/size']

Shortly thereafter a call of trouble south of the city had the team leaping into the Huey and striking off into the sky to rescue a couple of cute damsels while trying to keep damage to a minimum at the nuclear power plant. If the Huey hadn’t come in high to allow the one farseeing member a good look at the situation the resultant debacle might have been let spectacular.

Our farseeing member, know as Solder of Fortune, SOF for short, ID’d a known ‘brick’ type villain acting as lookout for whatever foul deal being conducted inside the power plant. Thinking, and I use the term loosely, it would be the perfect time to take out said lookout, our graduate of the Han Solo School of Action Without Thought unslung the tube of a LAW rocket from his back.

To more accurately set the scene . . . SOF is leaning out the right side door scoping out the approaching site. The left side door is closed. Three of his teammates are seated in the rear with him, all wearing headsets and making plans for their assault as SOF describes what he sees. The pilot and remaining teammate are concentrating on what is ahead as well as the conversation over the headset.

Pulling the rocket launcher out to its fully locked and loaded configuration and resting it on his shoulder, our expert in weapons touched the thing off. Side note, he did score a hit on the brick but no one really cared as the back blast of the rocket ignition ripped through the skin of the Huey and opened up the side of the engine like tissue paper. The resultant blast scattered pieces of helicopter over several square blocks, started a number of fires, killed the pilot, two members of the team and critically injured the rest. Solder of Fortune did not survive the 2000 foot fall.

Was the player aware of the consequences of his actions?

If not - why wasn't he told? I can't imagine the character in this case was unaware of the characteristics of the weapon he was using.

Lucius Alexander

Weapon Familiarity, Palindromedary Mounted Weapons

Was the player aware of the consequences of his actions?

If not - why wasn't he told? I can't imagine the character in this case was unaware of the characteristics of the weapon he was using.

Lucius Alexander

Weapon Familiarity, Palindromedary Mounted Weapons

Actually, yes he was but it was a case of the excitement of the moment I guess. There were no hard feelings and SOF became our poster child for thinking before you act. Even now, over 20 years later I tease him about it since he is my brother-in-law.

Okay. Sorry that look longer than I thought I'll start out with a story from my Aberrant days:

The PC's were a local city defense group licenced to defend LA and the surrounding area. One of their members was a low INT brick who went by the name "Tank". (Not the most creative soul, no, but he had neon orange camo patterned forcefields among other 'glitches'.)

Right, the PC's have been working hard to build up trust with the locals when "Tank" goes on live TV during a press conference, delcares his memmbership with the Terragen (think super terrorist group), renames himself "Ace" and then proceeds to jump through the roof of the TV studio...much to the horror of the rest of the PC's who promptly lost their jobs.

Later in the game the PC's are trying to make a go of things as independant operators when a Proteus strike squad goes after "Ace" for his various semi-terrorist actions up to this point. They catch most the team in a favoite bar they frequent in Hong Kong and snipe (with a high powered railgun) Ace when his force field was down...

...it didn't kill him but brought him within 1 of KOed. (Head slammed to the counter he was drinking at, bullet wegged into his left temple.) He gets up, starts regening the damage, pops his forcefield and runs UP the side of a building to the sniper. He discovers 2 snipers there and growls. Picking one sniper up, he proceds to 'muffle' said snipers own railgun with his rectum (yes the character is basically impaled on his own gun), whips around as the other guy is running away and opens up full auto with said 'muffled' gun on the other guy.

The group was stunned. All the other players didn't know what to say. And keep in mind this character to to recently was the lovable "Tank" who had a whole line of toys dedicated to him. (Though in hindsight it was the attitude of the player.)

Another thing that came up from this game:

We had a time/space manipulator character in the group. He was a quiet sniper back-up character who was great at Recon and intel and generally was all support to the rest of the PCs. We had been playing for a few months and he hadn't been spending his EXP, at all! We discover this around the time the Player Guide for Aberrant comes out and I OK him adding 'mastering' qualities to some of his (at the time) useful but not over powered abiltites.

Opps. Turns out this is like taking an Area Effect EB and adding a few levels of Megascale to it. Ya, it was that bad. We had a middle to low powered PC suddenly become a GOD. In his first fight I had him 'power up' in a cool scene and then watched him:

* Cut buildings out to 2 miles out nearly in half from the shockwave of his blasts.

* Blow away 12 or so NPCs from a roof (knocking them 50 or so stories to their deaths) with his lower powered non-leathal blast. Knockback is a bitch.

* Timefreeze an office complex for something like 3 or so years.

Ya. It was a mess.

the superheros don't have the time to do a lot of crazy things in our campaigns. The villains, however make up for it in spades.

Foxbat once borrowed a mind control satellite from Doctor Destroyer and used it to make everyone believe that all chocolate tasted like chalk. He was going to hold the world's chocolate supply hostage.

This one other guy who used to pretend to be a hero was part of a plot to brainwash the entire planet into forgetting all about him getting busted and also forgetting about the existence of all languages other than american english.

Same dude arranged for the construction of a 400 foot tall robot with his face that destroyed two carrier battle groups. If the group didn't have CVKs, this guy would be toast...

Our team was a group of officially dead government agent types who had been rescued from various fatal conditions (poisoned, lupus, etc.) just in the nick of time and gained superpowers in the process. So now we were doing black ops for a government agency so Top Secret, I don't think our characters ever found out exactly who we were working for.

Anyway, we were sent to investigate some goings-on in Oakland. We managed to determine that a big weapons deal was going down at a local factory, and that Dr. Destroyer (IIRC) was involved. We decided/were ordered to stop the transaction at all costs. So we tried to infiltrate the factory. We were a team that was very well set up to do such a thing, by the way--lots of stealth and security skills, etc. Well, we managed to get into the factory, but it was really well guarded, and in no time we found ourselves in the middle of a firefight.

You know what happens when superheroes fight in a chemical factory, right?

The good news was that we destroyed all the weapons, stopped the sale, and eliminated most of the parties who were involved in it.

The bad news is that the fight caused a massive explosion, and that started a fire that eventually burned half the city to the ground.

As we were being debriefed by our mysterious commander, he expressed satisfaction at our results but great displeasure at the collateral damage. "I expect better from you in the future," he said.

To which one of the players, in character, responded: "Fine, next time we'll try to burn down the WHOLE city!"

I can't recall any of my super characters anything particularly off the wall. But in a M&M game a few years back, I was playing with a guy who ran a rather powerful telekenetic. We we're going up against a group of teenage girl villains, one of whom had the ability to grow to 50' in size. This villain was rampaging through Freedom City as a distraction for her partners while the main heroes were away. She, for some reason, decided to wear a skirt, (Her clothes grew with her). So our TK, who wasn't in costume, decided the best way to stop the 'Attack of the 50' Teenager' was to use his TK to give her a wedgie.

So there I was, playing my gadgeteer, who just arrived on the scene, looking at at a 50' teenage girl trying to readjust her panties as our TK guy kept yanking them up. Hilarity ensued afterward.

The minds of my buddies is often disturbing. :D

I can't recall any of my super characters anything particularly off the wall. But in a M&M game a few years back, I was playing with a guy who ran a rather powerful telekenetic. We we're going up against a group of teenage girl villains, one of whom had the ability to grow to 50' in size. This villain was rampaging through Freedom City as a distraction for her partners while the main heroes were away. She, for some reason, decided to wear a skirt, (Her clothes grew with her). So our TK, who wasn't in costume, decided the best way to stop the 'Attack of the 50' Teenager' was to use his TK to give her a wedgie.

So there I was, playing my gadgeteer, who just arrived on the scene, looking at at a 50' teenage girl trying to readjust her panties as our TK guy kept yanking them up. Hilarity ensued afterward.

The minds of my buddies is often disturbing. :D

Gah! I didn't want to remember this! But, since you triggered the flashback, I shall share the misery. I played with a group -- ONCE -- that had some messed up characters. The players must have snapped after watching a hentai marathon, and thought to make a supers campaign out of a mish-mash of the most insipid. The character that you reminded me of was

a female growth brick with extra armor in area 13 and CSLs for grappling, whose favorite tactic was to grow to max size, grapple an opponent, and then pleasure herself with the opponent.

I did not last more than 10 minutes or so...

Gah! I didn't want to remember this! But' date=' since you triggered the flashback, I shall share the misery. I played with a group -- ONCE -- that had some messed up characters. The players must have snapped after watching a hentai marathon, and thought to make a supers campaign out of a mish-mash of the most insipid. The character that you reminded me of was

a female growth brick with extra armor in area 13 and CSLs for grappling, whose favorite tactic was to grow to max size, grapple an opponent, and then pleasure herself with the opponent.

I did not last more than 10 minutes or so...[/quote']

Something similar happened in a 1st Edition D&D game I was in where

a red dragon did something very similar with a plate-armored fighter.

Granted, we were all about 13 at the time and thought it was hilarious... :nonp: