Single Most Powerful Super Hero EVER!!!

RexMundi

Re: Single Most Powerful Super Hero EVER!!!

Am I the only one who thinks Dr. Manhattan is way overrated? He's got a near-crippling psych lim, has zero experience facing actual superpowered opposition, and doesn't think like a combatant. For all we know he could be one-punched by Spidey. And in the comic there is definitely an upper limit to his power level, because in the Cold War analysis, he can't stop all the Soviet nukes, and he can't just wipe the USSR off the face of the earth with an eyeblink.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But then, the question was "most powerful" not "most combat capable". Skills and psychological handicaps that reduce effectiveness are separate issues. Even so, I doubt that Manhattan could, say, create a planet any more easily than Silver Age Superman. Which is to say, they both could of course, but it would be actual work for them.

I think he is a tad over rated in various ways at points of his evolution, but to be fair to the guy, when those limitations were mentioned (during and just after the Viet Nam war), he was still learning what he could do and was still hampered by Human like thinking. By the time the Comedian is removed from play and the story really begins, he's already mastered being in multiple places at the same time, counting Neutrinos by sight, and is FAR beyond his already impressive starting abilities. When he was done with his walk about on Mars, he's pretty much, Omnipotent, with his biggest Limitation being, Caring about Humanity anymore (Having effectively moved on to Force of Nature by this point).

~Rex

True, Silver Age Doctor Strange was actually written with the Caveat of being the single most powerful character in the Marvel Universe. In short, Silver Age Strange, should show up, and pimp slap the new Zoo Review that currently is in the process of Mucking up Marvel anyway. I will raise the Silver Age good Doctor up a few rungs in that line of thinking THOUGH, as you stated, Silver Age Doctor Strange used to get punched in the face by non magical guys, and though he was Powerful enough, to face down Dormammu, he couldn't keep Dracula, out of his house. Lot of Ups and downs with the guy but his Ups, are pretty impressive.

~Rex

My choice would be Silver-Age Doctor Strange, who also wasn't slowed down much by getting killed, absorbed the powers of HPL-homage Shuma-Gorath (at the level of Great Old One or Outer God?), and routinely conversed with cosmic entities.

EDIT: Actually that might be Silver-to-Bronze Age Doctor Strange when I think about it.

Silver to Bronze. Dr. Strange really didn't start getting Punked, until the "new guys" (Millar, Bendis and them) all came on board. He made a pretty good showing of himself in World War Hulk AND Civil War ......I suppose even with looking at the modern material, Strange's only real weakness, is directly related to bad comic writers.

~Rex

Bendis is quite fond of making Strange useless for vague, poorly-explained reasons that ignore previous stories.

Depending on how you interpret his latest storyline, his raw power may have been halved back to his pre-1974 level (with the half supplied by the Ancient One being passed on to Jericho Drumm). However, that was how powerful he was when he took down Dormamu dozens of times in the 60s and early 70s, and for his first defeat of Shuma-Gorath, which has a pretty good claim to being Marvel's ultimate evil. He was always about wise and strategic use of what abilities he had rather than just having more power than anybody else.

Hmmm, Firestorm maybe. He had the matter-rearanging power that sets appart many characters mentioned here.

I'm really suprised Xavier never made the list. Sure, he's 'just' a mentalist, and he doesn't even have all that great telekinesis, but what he does he can do on a massive scale.

Oh, and for a left field pick, I might say Luke Skywalker. I'm told that in one of his 'comics' he used his force abilities and a lightsaber to deflect a blast from a death star. I'm having a hard time looking up that issue to make sure I'm not crazy. (this may mean that it never happened and I'm a stupid head) Anyway, if he can use his little laser sword to beat one planet killing abomination, I see no reason why he couldn't defeat Galactus.

I also suspect for every megapowerful western comic hero, there's a Chinese comic hero ready to hand him his butt in a sack. ;)

taiyang.jpg

http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/translate_url_content?.intl=us&lp=xx_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.89890.com%2fcomic%2f4113%2f2

xaxhe.jpg

For delving into the little known to the western world, greatness of the Chinese comics, I have to give props. STILL, once they leave the sword users (Like "A Man Called Hero"), everything seems to enter the Force of Nature Category, and fights leave ruined solar systems in their wake. Still. Mad Props for an excellent pick.

Matt the Bruins also came up with some good Dr. Strange points which I think will bump the Doctor up a few notches.

Now the Firestorm mention. For a B-lister he's pretty powerful. I always preferred the Ronnie Raymond/Professor Stein gestalt, but the current Firestorm is growing on me. He's definitely, a unique character, and was the one the JLA was the most afraid of the villain Paragon getting to close enough to to duplicate his abilities. After this thread has run it's course, I'll cobble up a B-Squad thread and see what's lurking out there if folks collective consciousness. I don't think I can move Firestorm up to the big Leagues of Solar and Dr. Manhattan, or even Captain Atom for that matter. But, he deserves mention that's for sure.

~Rex

Heh, follow up begins when all the really well thought out and interesting picks slow down. When the Chinese comics showed up, you could tell folks were taking off the kid gloves and bringing their A-Game.

~Rex

Really wouldn't Galactus still be a individual villan and not a force of nature? He is generally tied to his body and interacts with the universe from that body. The fact he is so powerful that he is considered by the most powerful forces in the universe when they have council, just shows how powerful he is.

To be the most powerful, I'd suggest at a minimum, being able to beat Galactus in a fair fight.

Broadsword -|--->

Yah, Batman has some pretty huge respect for both Plastic Man and The Atom (I think those two really scare him).

Plastic Man is a particularly interesting subject. We all know about his incredible power to stretch and become whatever he imagines and his immortality and celular sentience... But when he uses his powers, what is really happening? When he grew as big as Fernus and battled the Martian nightmare toe-to-toe he obviously gained incredible mass to do so (buildings crumbled under his weight). From whence did he produce that extra mass? When he becomes a hot air balloon and floats away, where does the extra energy for the huge volume of hot air come from? When he becomes a rocket and sky-writes something silly in the blue yonder, how does he create and sustain the chemical reaction that shoots the rocket forward? When he transforms into a human sized question mark and hovers around for comic relief, how is he defying gravity???

There's much more going on with Plastic Man than meets the eye. :)

Plastic man is terrifyingly Powerful. Anyone that scares Batman, is not to be messed with and The Atom and Plastic Man are at the top of his list, though he also expressed great Concerns, over having to face Hawkman (Carter Hall) in a hand to hand fight.

~Rex

Now the Firestorm mention. For a B-lister he's pretty powerful. I always preferred the Ronnie Raymond/Professor Stein gestalt, but the current Firestorm is growing on me. He's definitely, a unique character, and was the one the JLA was the most afraid of the villain Paragon getting to close enough to to duplicate his abilities.

~Rex

Kurt Busiek's first sold script, I believe, that JLA fill-in issue. Even before The Liberty Project.

Thinking Plastic Man it doesn't take further to go to Impossible Man' date=' Bat Mite, and Mr. Myxzptlk[/quote']

Jakeem Thunder is probably a better option, since he's clearly a superhero, and his "sidekick" has been retconned as a 5th dimensional being similar to bat mite or Mr. M.

Yah, Batman has some pretty huge respect for both Plastic Man and The Atom (I think those two really scare him).

When he becomes a hot air balloon and floats away, where does the extra energy for the huge volume of hot air come from? When he becomes a rocket and sky-writes something silly in the blue yonder, how does he create and sustain the chemical reaction that shoots the rocket forward? When he transforms into a human sized question mark and hovers around for comic relief, how is he defying gravity???

Beans,Lots & Lots of beans:eg:

Careful, Plastic Man would tend to Agree. Even being Shredded and left at the bottom of the ocean for thousands of years couldn't stop Plas. From a technical viewpoint, considering what he can do, he Vastly Outclasses even some of the Force of Nature folks. Should he ever become, oh, competent, the only thing more scary, would be Foxbat, waking up one morning to discover he's being written by Ed Brubaker, and played by Bruce Campbell, while being Directed by Christopher Nolan.

~Rex