Single Most Powerful Super Hero EVER!!!

RexMundi

Re: Single Most Powerful Super Hero EVER!!!

Hmm....I actually really liked the Story arc of "Who is Sensor Girl". As far as a writing and art thing goes. I can't say I was ever a fan though of the scope scale and results of her power boosts and such. Seemed a bit of an answer to the "Can we get a really insanely powerful Mary Sue character in the Legion again without it being Super Girl?"......Still, some interesting possibilities with the set up for an Images Clairvoyance/Detect kinda PC......Not to mention having the Spirit of the 30th Century's greatest Martial Artist as a hand to hand combat instructor, heh.....

Sensor Girl definitly ranks up there though, and no, I wouldn't allow her in a game. Her power set really only boils down to 50 D6 Supress what the GM is trying to do..... :D

~Rex

That is still the most ridiculous thing ever, all that and the second best martial artist in the universe. I didn't even touch on that point, but yeah. Sensor Girl for the win.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think of what someone that's actually smart, and with a good grasp of oh, quantum physics and all the observational effects could do with a character that basically controls.......observation. Sensor Girl scares me. Chemical King frightened me as well. The reasons for that was one of my long term players over the decades Step Dad is an Analytical Chemist of some prodigious intellect.

We were all playing the old Star Ship troopers Board game (what can I say, Analytical Chemist AND good taste in good board games and sci fi, heh), and discussing various things and somehow Chemical King came up. We then got a series of breakdowns of what absolute control over the speed of a chemical or energy reaction could accomplish....

So, that all being said, is the reason why really smart people should alwys be handed the old green Hulk to play. Otherwise, Havoc shall reign unopposed in ones game. Sensor Girl Was trouble just when she was Projectra, heh.

~Rex

Yeah, but Chemical King got the receiving end of the worst spoiler ever. "One of these three heroes will die! Lightning Lad! Saturn Girl! Chemical King!"

Really? Two founding members and Chemical King? Are you kidding me, DC? Granted, this was the Seventies, but you would still have to be an utter moron not to figure out who was going to kick the bucket.

When I think of super-powers that make one SUPER, I tend to think of two...

First is Magic. Every other power, even to some degree 'power cosmic/reality manipulation' tends to (at least occasionally) get some 'real world explanation' that ends up limiting it somehow... Magic can just be MAGIC and who cares how it works or if it is reasonable or anything. It is what it is, it has no meaningful rules except how Magic happens to work for that character at that moment. It throws off the limitations of other power types, and thus ends up top.

The second is Time Travel... sure it makes for awful stories and Deus Ex Machina writing; but Time Travel can trump SO MUCH. Anyone with an origin story, defeated before that happens. Anyone lose their powers ever? BAM! You better exist beyond time to stand a meaningful chance against a time-traveler with significant other powers.

Combining those two, I would say 'Magik' is my #1 pick for powerful characters... Cosmic-Level Magic... check... Time Travel... check... host of other strange powers just for fun... check. Ruler of another Dimension, one fundamental to the existence of reality in the Marvel Universe... why not!

Dr. Strange (another good contender in my mind) told Magik that her manipulation of time abilities were possible on an Omniversal scale. Who knows what *that* means, but heck if it doesn't sound intimidating.

Really? Two founding members and Chemical King? Are you kidding me, DC? Granted, this was the Seventies, but you would still have to be an utter moron not to figure out who was going to kick the bucket.

Ha! It's sort of like "Who's not coming back from the away mission: Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, or Ensign Morales?"

Ha! It's sort of like "Who's not coming back from the away mission: Captain Kirk' date=' Mr. Spock, or Ensign Morales?"[/quote']

Clearly you haven't read the acclaimed series of novels about Ensign Morales' exploits. I heartily recommend them.

I dunno. Has anyone mentioned Scarlet Witch? Ability to alter reality seems rather... Powerful?

Then there is Phoenix and Dark Phoenix, of course.

Then there is the Superman in the early Christopher Reeve movies. Made the earth rotate backwards to reverse time. Which, even when I was little and first saw that said, "That's bull****."

Heh, there is a reason why I put in the stipulation of No Force of Nature. Ramped up Scarlet Witch certainly qualifies, same for anything that eats stars like the Phoenix Force though I'd say a fettered Phoenix Incarnation is alright as a pick and the Scarlett Witch before they decided to use her as a retcon tool.

As for Goldenage's rebutal there (post 131 there), *looks innocent* I don't really know how a squishy no Super Powers no Real Defenses and a Lower Dex then the Team Bricks can POSSIBLY, have 50d6 Supress What the GM is trying to do. He's quite squishy actually and a peaceful sensitive man.

~Rex ;D

It really depends on the book, doesn't it? Having said that, I like all the choices so far. Two I haven't seen mentioned that I always had a soft spot for:

Lobo

Martial Law

Is either the most powerful out of all mentioned so far? No. But in their own stories, they were kick-butt.

Lobo is one of the worst examples of power inconsistency in comics. Perhaps because he was so popular for a while, writers kept guesting him in series where he had no place, struggling against foes he should have walked over. The Main Man goes toe to toe with Superman or Green Lantern, then gets beaten by Wolverine? (Of course the writers of the Amalgam crossover series had to hide the conclusion of that last fight behind a bar -- even they couldn't think of a credible way to show Wolvie winning that one.) :rolleyes:

BTW this objection is an entirely separate issue from my utter loathing of Lobo as a character. :thumbdown:

If you think Lobo is bad during the Main Man to Jobber for everyone we want to Beat up the Main Main days, you should see his Omega Men debute/origin with the Clown Hair and Body Stocking Uber Martial Artist days.

395px-Omegamen_03.jpg

Heh, wasn't even a Czarnian back then either he was a Velorpian.....bleh, details right?

I actually kinda liked the evolution of the character over the years, but only within his own titles/story arcs, or the last set of appearences in 52 and Brightest Day when he ends up with a Red Lantern Ring as well (though if he starts using it, remains to be seen).....

~Rex.....is Fine with the Main Main, just not when he's reduced to Jobbing for Wolverspaz.....

The fact that Lobo eventually fell out of vogue and became an obscure' date=' seldom-seen character gives me a sliver of hope that someday the question "Who's Wolverine?" will be spoken by mainstream Marvel readers.[/quote']

Lobo is one of the worst examples of power inconsistency in comics. Perhaps because he was so popular for a while, writers kept guesting him in series where he had no place, struggling against foes he should have walked over. The Main Man goes toe to toe with Superman or Green Lantern, then gets beaten by Wolverine? (Of course the writers of the Amalgam crossover series had to hide the conclusion of that last fight behind a bar -- even they couldn't think of a credible way to show Wolvie winning that one.) :rolleyes:

BTW this objection is an entirely separate issue from my utter loathing of Lobo as a character. :thumbdown:

Wasn't Lobo at one point kind of a parody of Wolverine? IIRC the fanboys didn't get the joke and took it seriously. They demanded more and more appearances until he became the thing that he was originally meant to ridicule.

I remember something like that with The Elite. Originally, they were meant to be a stand-in for The Authority so that Joe Kelly could take the piss out of the whole over-the-top-ultra-violent-hero-god vibe on that book by putting them up against Superman. A great issue by the way (Action Comics #775), probably one of the great single issues of the last twenty years. Anyway, the fans lapped it up, missing the joke, and DC ended up bringing them back, and even starting a Justice League title that included some of the characters. The did make some effort to reform them form the random killings and what not, but still.

Wasn't Lobo at one point kind of a parody of Wolverine? IIRC the fanboys didn't get the joke and took it seriously. They demanded more and more appearances until he became the thing that he was originally meant to ridicule.

I remember something like that with The Elite. Originally, they were meant to be a stand-in for The Authority so that Joe Kelly could take the piss out of the whole over-the-top-ultra-violent-hero-god vibe on that book by putting them up against Superman. A great issue by the way (Action Comics #775), probably one of the great single issues of the last twenty years. Anyway, the fans lapped it up, missing the joke, and DC ended up bringing them back, and even starting a Justice League title that included some of the characters. The did make some effort to reform them form the random killings and what not, but still.

The Authority--during the Millar run in particular--struck me as the writers' "Id Squad", basically editorializing about the state of the world and gratuitously killling or humiliating stand-ins for both established comic book icons and real-world public figures.

Well the Wolvie winning thing was because results were based on a vote....but yeah...Marvel vs DC was garbage...JLA/Avengers is what Marvel/DC should have been.

And he's public domain, too!

Followed a link on that page to Fem Force, and the extremely powerful (and barely dressed) Nightveil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightveil

In the Femforce books the Most Powerful nods have to go towards Captain Paragon/Paragon and his bad guy alternate Fem Paragon. Great comics and a mighty fine RPG as well. Paragon's one of those guys that shows up as a supporting character, because there really isn't any point in having him on a team, heh, though he was a founder of one. Borderline Force of Nature though depending on the situation, and one of those heroes you can always do the "Drop a mountain range on him and he holds it up so the others don't get squished" moments.

~Rex

This is such an open-ended question. Kurt Busiek once commented on the Avengers Mailing List that no hero is the most powerful at everything. That said,

the contenders are without discussion.

DC: Superman (ultra-powerful pre-crisis version), Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern (with Ion force), Flash (Wally West)

Marvel: Thor (with Odinforce), Phoenix III (Rachel Summers), Captain Marvel/Photon (Monica Rambeau), Hulk, Doctor Strange

Independent: Victor (Hero Alliance)

Of course, the best win-loss records in comics might easily be held by Batman, Hawkeye, and Spider-Man.

This is such an open-ended question. Kurt Busiek once commented on the Avengers Mailing List that no hero is the most powerful at everything. That said,

the contenders are without discussion.

DC: Superman (ultra-powerful pre-crisis version), Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern (with Ion force), Flash (Wally West)

Marvel: Thor (with Odinforce), Phoenix III (Rachel Summers), Captain Marvel/Photon (Monica Rambeau), Hulk, Doctor Strange

Independent: Victor (Hero Alliance)

Of course, the best win-loss records in comics might easily be held by Batman, Hawkeye, and Spider-Man.

Without discussion??? :think:

I think you should go back and read THIS discussion.

GoldenAge: I have. And I think a lot of the same names are proposed. What I meant is that there really is a short list of contenders for the title of most powerful super hero ever. Think about it....

It is just the top tier bricks, energy projectors, and mystics that are being discussed.

:

Probably more an issue of all the blood. After all, they've show Wolverine beating the Hulk, and Vril Dox beating Lobo.