Single Most Powerful Super Hero EVER!!!

RexMundi

Had this as an open discussion amongst more then a few of my players. Some interesting things tend to pop up. So out of boredom at work and idle curiosity, I offer up the same discourse here. here are the Rules.

You get to Pick ONE, that would fit your criteria as the most Powerful Super Hero ever.

This character has to be from a Published Comic or Graphic Novel as a reoccurring character. Indies allowed.

This character can not, be a Force of Nature-esque character. For example. No Beyonder or that Ilk.

You can support your Selection, but try not to be overly detailed.

Said choice does not have to be currently Alive, or Currently published. Comics come and go so to do the Most Powerful. Should however you make an "Age" specific choice, you have to define the "Age" (Gold, Silver, etc).

Open floor.....

~Rex

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Single Most Powerful Super Hero EVER!!!

For some reason any of the times I've seen Superman running around with one of the Green Lantern rings comes to mind. After all he's not broken enough to begin with.

While, I do believe there was the Avengers/JLA crossover that had Superman using Thor's hammer to fight the big bad.

Superman is a wish fulfillment character, a Marty Stu that resonated with a lot of people.

Of all the published comic-book recurring characters of an "heroic" persuasion, the Specter during most of his career would have to stand at the top of the heap. He was literally one rung below God, capable of doing nearly anything imaginable on a cosmic scale. But of course the "force of nature" proscription may exclude him.

With that in mind, I'd call it a rough tie between Silver Age Superman and Silver Age Green Lantern. The impression I got was that Superman may have had a little more raw power, and less glaring weaknesses, but Green Lantern was much more versatile. But anyone who pushes planets through space, bathes in the hearts of starts, crosses the Universe in the time most of us commute to work, propels himself through time, etc. is already so far beyond most of our yardsticks that debating which is stronger becomes a moot point anyway.

Does Silver Surfer count?

Silver Surfer seems to be roughly in the same league as the current definition of a Green Lantern, but IMO still less than Silver Age GL. Past comic precedent would seem to match him with Thor in the same way a Green Lantern matches with Superman: in the times they've confronted each other Thor has been shown to wield more raw power than SS, but the Surfer can do a lot more with his Power Cosmic (if the writers choose to remember that).

My top 10:

Sodam Yat, with the Ion power, before lead poisoning.

Thor, with the Odinforce, runes, and belt of strength.

Silver Surfer of the 30th Century--quantum bands and all.

Dr. Strangefate.

Spectre would be the obvious choice, but since he's the Wrath of G*d personified, that might rule him out via the "No forces of nature" rule.

Sentry (current).

Zarda of the most recent Supreme Power/Ultimates era.

All Star Superman.

Phoenix

Martian Manhunter

Silver Surfer

Honorable mention to:

Nate Grey

Supergirl

Mary Marvel

Maxima

Binary

Solar

Nexus

Dr. Strange

Dr. Fate

Capt. Atom

Near and dear as Superman is to my heart, I'll have to pick Dr. Manhattan. I think his power is only limited by the writers' understanding of the Universe. Or in other words, he is so powerful that his ability is limited by the language available to describe how his power works.

Near and dear as Superman is to my heart' date=' I'll have to pick Dr. Manhattan. I think his power is only limited by the writers' understanding of the Universe. Or in other words, he is so powerful that his ability is limited by the language available to describe how his power works.[/quote']

Yeah, but his psych lims seem a bit crippling. Also, to be fair, he never ever had to deal with any opponent who was actually superhuman or remotely threatening, with one possible exception towards the end of the series.

By the end of the Watchmen, he resolves his relationship with Laurie, handing her off to Dan. True he never gets to oppose someone with superpowers, but I think we can extrapolate from the source material. He controls matter at a level similar to the theories behind Hoson-Biggs and the SuperForce. (By the way... "Hoson-Biggs and the SuperForce" would make an AWESOME Saturday Morning Cartoon show!)

I'm gonna hope back in with a few points. Characters such as, The Specter (Golden Age, Silver age levels), and Dr. Manhattan, do come dangerously close to the Force of Nature restriction, however, both were capable of being rendered impotent, at least for awhile, by a normal guy.

Now as for my pick. I'm saying, Legion of Super Heroes - Condo Arlik aka Chemical King. Remember, you only get one. (Hoson Biggs and the SuperForce would make for a great Team Idea though.)

~Rex

Pretty much every cosmically powerful, force of nature superbeing has been defeated/ undone by a "mere mortal" at one time or another. How many times has Batman outwitted or neutralized Superman? That's simply because the story of a mortal defeating the Gods is compelling, much more so than the story of God smashes Mortal Hero in One Page The End.

The Force of Nature restriction does get a little fuzzy at times. There are many instances of powerful heroes and villains becoming such for entire story arcs. Thor and the Odinforce comes to mind. Doctor Fate, Doctor Doom, and Doctor Strange have flirted with "Ultimate Cosmic POWAAAAR" many many times (and even Doom has given up such power voluntarily on a few occasions). Superman and the Hulk have both become so strong as to shake the foundations of the Universe. On the Flip Side, the Beyonder was ultimately revealed to be an immature Cosmic Cube who needed the Molecule Man to become complete (and somehow in doing so became *less* powerful, go fig.)

I'll try to avoid repeats but Doctor Manhattan is a high contender here.

My list:

Starbrand (Any of them from New Universal, debatable the original from New Universe)

Franklin Richards (This character may be out of the running following Universe X)

Jesse Custer (Although he only uses "The Word" for basic command over people there is more than one instance where it is hinted at being much more powerful.)

Loki (Universe X)

Nightcrawler (Universe X)

Honorable Mentions To

Spider Jerusalem (Took down a regime with just words)

Mohammed Ali (he did beat up Superman)

Squirrel Girl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squirrel_girl).

If the fight takes place in her book, bring whoever you want and they will get trounced.

She has defeated:

Doctor Doom

Mandarin

Giganto

MODOK

Thanos

Terrax

Bug-Eyed Voice

Bi-Beast

Deadpool

Pluto

In other words, the writer is the most powerful being of all.

The Silver Age Doctor Strange is an interesting case. His power level is perhaps in excess of Superman's. He could have wreaked devastation on a galactic level and perhaps even more impressively, could have transformed the galaxy radically without distroying it. And yet his vulnerability is such that he could be put down by a particularly quick boxers punch or someone with a stick standing behind him.

Force of Nature seems to be confusing some folks. Let me define it a touch more. Galactus, Beyonder, Living Tribunal, Eternity, Krona, Time Trapper, stuff like that. Force of Nature. StarBrand, Silver Surfer, Ion, All Star Superman, Dr. Manhattan, the Spectre. Still a Super hero. They maintain or maintained their own book, and served a purpose within those books, beyond "Unavoidable Natural Disaster" sort of things.

As for everyone Else's picks, heh, they can all be beaten Hands Down, by Chemical King, though I'll let a few more roll in before explaining how Powerful, Chemical King really is (though I am sure the real chemists out there already know). Sometimes, Less is more, and weak, is stronger then strong. It's a matter of power though, not just who can beat whom. Any given Sunday logic applies to that one, as well as writer fiat. Sheer Power though, what Chemical King can do, is pretty Omnipotent.

~Rex

Guest steamteck

The one problem with Chemical King ( and Element lad etc.) is they have a merely human body and reflexes. They would probably be flattened ( like Molecule Man should have been in multiple appearances) by super fast opponents.

A but both of those folks (Using the "Just how Fast, is the Speed of Thought" excuse) have beaten, Silver Age Kryptonians. So that's a very valid point, but most likely a non factor as Chemical King was quick enough to use his powers on even Radiation wave lengths that had paralyzed the Silver Age Super Boy, whom could break the time barrier and shove planets around. Now, on a PREEMPTIVE strike, I might lean towards Barry Allen myself, but still for the most part, Chemical Kings power is pretty unbeatable, since it never had to be targeted for the most part.

~Rex

Hmm....Interesting Choice.....have to cross my arms pull up my Hoodie hood and brood on that one but I do believe, that's gonna be tough to beat, since she could pull off her thing, and do it indirectly not at a specific person.

~Rex

I have to go with the Valiant Comics' re-imagining of SOLAR, Man Of The Atom, as written by Jim Shooter and drawn by Ernie Colon and Barry Windsor-Smith. He (Solar) described his powers as being able to manipulate energy--and since everything is energy, he can manipulate everything. To my mind that puts him above Superman, Phoenix, and even Dr. Manhattan in terms of power.

Morality-wise it's a different story. While Solar wasn't a casual killer, he felt he had no choice but to eradicate the alien arachnoids who waged a genocidal crusade against all animal life in the universe. He may have been right--but I think that Superman could have found a way to stop them without killing all of them.

At least I hope he could have.