Single Most Powerful Super Hero EVER!!!

RexMundi

Re: Single Most Powerful Super Hero EVER!!!

Hmmm....

Lets not forget that Dr. Strange has... defeated the In-Betweener (without prep), stopped time (planetwide), survived (and won) a battle in a black hole, blown up a planet, mentally defeated Moondragon (while she had the Mind gem), battles and defeats "skyfather" level beings, battled and defeated Death (to save Galactus), is active across all eternity, etc, etc, etc...

Then there's Sentry... It was recently revealed that the Sentry's true power is the manipulation of all matter, or as he says it "control the molecules of my world" (this discovered after he totally obliterated Molecule Man)... But he's a basket case. :stupid:

Then there's SOLAR, Man of the Atom - The original Dr. Manhattan. His power was awesome, very similar to Sentry's current abilities including absorbing entire stars - multiple times, destroying planets, phasing through time and matter at the quantum level, complete control over the timestream and gravity, bringing the dead back to life, possessing a mind too complex for even the greatest of telepaths to dominate... AND... CREATING A BLACK HOLE SO MASSIVE IT NOT ONLY DESTROYED THE EARTH , BUT HIS ENTIRE REALITY!!! (which he later traveled billions of years in the past to recreate -Sheesh!)... In addition Solar also has a great scientific mind, allowing him to take full advantage of his powers.

For my money (Spectre having been deemed a force of nature) it's the man of "pure, timeless energy"

SOLAR, Man of the Atom is the most powerful superhero ever.

solar116.jpg

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to say Squirl Girl, but someone got there first....

Scarlet Witch is a good call too

Phoenix would be a good call as well

But I will go with Silver Surfer of the Guardians of the Galaxy period, Silver Surfer's power, PLUS the powers of Quasar, and the cosmic awareness of Captain Mar-Vel...

Squirrel Girl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squirrel_girl).

If the fight takes place in her book, bring whoever you want and they will get trounced.

She has defeated:

Doctor Doom

Mandarin

Giganto

MODOK

Thanos

Terrax

Bug-Eyed Voice

Bi-Beast

Deadpool

Pluto

In other words, the writer is the most powerful being of all.

Heh. Even Dazzler defeated Doc Doom AND was a Herald of Galactus briefly, while in her own comic.:rolleyes:

I don't think the Molecule Man (post-Secret Wars I) should be completely discounted from the Most Powerful list though.

I'd almost have to put Solar in the realm of Force of Nature. If it weren't for the fact that he tended to split off Fun things, Like Solar the Destroyer, out of human foibles, and he scales well to the good old Valiant Stuff (I miss those guys heh).

Still, that being said, Chemical King is still hard to beat but you have to have something of an understanding of how things work, to get a good feel, for such a simple power. Towards the end he could control Energy rates as well, so even Solar, could fall to Chemical King, However, Solar, is effectively Omnipotent, and though not really controllable at first, Omniscient as well. I'd put him at Beyond Dr. Manhattan as far as scope (though they basically are the same though Solar has much more of an attachment to his humanity), Both of those guys though, certainly end up in the Force of Nature category by Mid Run through their respective series (Though Solar the Destroyer not so much, he just breaks stuff).

Sentry though, provided the Fruit Loop issues are maintained, could squeak in just Under the Force of Nature ceiling. Besides we all Owe Sentry money for flying Carnage up into Orbit, and tearing him in half. For one of those Handwavium powered characters, I've actually enjoyed what Good Writers, have done with the Sentry.

Props for the Spider Jerusalem suggestion in a way, in his element, he would fit, but in a mass crossover draw of talent, I don't think so. Gonna have to void that one but he's worth Honorable Mention heh.

If one were however to say, Lift the Ceiling to Include the Forces of Nature, I'd Rank Solar at Number 1 most likely.

~Rex

The Spectre has been the agency for (re-)creating the universe in at least two stories I'm aware of (Crisis on Infinite Earths #10 and Zero Hour #0), so he'd be pretty hard to argue against if he's allowed to play in the super hero sandbox as opposed to forces of nature. Of course, everyone and his dog manages to find some loophole or exploit a weakness to beat him at some point.

Yeah the problem is, for the most part nowadays, the folks writing comics over on the DC side of things, don't seen to remember just how Tough, the Spectre is. Pretty much the "Ultimate in Powa!" Is heaped upon the flavor of the day (See, Ion, or over in the Marvel side of things, Anything that Bendis or Loeb is mucking up). If only Image had never violated the Sacred Rules of Comic Geek-dom, all would be easy to Rate amongst the various continuities.

~Rex

Still' date=' that being said, Chemical King is still hard to beat but you have to have something of an understanding of how things work, to get a good feel, for such a simple power.[/quote']

Frankly, I feel about Chemical King the way I feel about the Flash. If you consider everything such a character should logically be able to do with his powers, in most circumstances he'd be unbeatable; but characters in the comics almost never use such extreme abilities at their maximum logical efficiency, except when the writers want them to.

Is Chemical King really so far beyond the capabilities of what other matter/ energy converters/ manipulators, like Solar, Dr. Manhatten, or the Silver Surfer, have been shown to be capable of at one time or another?

BTW props should probably be given to the immense magical powers of the Doctor of the Authority, provided the current holder of the title and power isn't a drug addict, psychopath, suicide, or any of their other typically charming personalities. :rolleyes:

I think I have Barry Allen (And as an Old Flash Fan have been very happy with his return) down as my Number 1 Alternate. Especially if he's being Preemptive about something. Very nice pick with The Doctor (the Authority one not the BBC one heh), and what goes for that Doctor, surely can be said for Both Dr. Fate in DC, and Dr. Strange in Marvel, both of those Doctors, often getting the shaft from various new writers, and in fact, seem to suffer from Continuity Amnesia as well, where these new Writers just choose to ignore whatever has happened before (as evidenced by both Doctors respective Reboots in the last year).

Chemical Kings thing though, is absolute Control, over the Speed, of Chemical and Energy reactions. So effectively, he can turn anything, or anyone. Off and he really doesn't have to think about How to do it. Can the same be said for any of the other Manipulators out there. I'm sure, just not in such a basic way, or with a broad scope with a simple ability for the most part. In fact I think Barry Allen (and possibly Wally West as well) would be, the only people that could shrug off what Chemical King could do to them.

Bears thought. Been some really good picks so far.

~Rex

Well, I have to ask, would Chemical King's power work through Superman's skin-tight force field, or the Silver Surfer's metallic skin, or Captain America's shield, or Green Lantern's protective field, or any of the other "impenetrable/ indestructible" items or abilities in the genre? Any precedents for saying that it does?

Was he shown to be able to alter the rate of nuclear reactions? Let alone various manifestations of "cosmic energy" or "magic energy?"

Yes and yes four more times.....

Absolute and total control over the speed of any chemical or energy reaction. So think from things as simple as Superman showing up and his Ability to use Solar energy is shut off (poof no powers), or even better, his equivalent to ATP (along with corresponding ADP AMP etc etc) at the cellular level, no longer functions (effectively killing you instantly). He's increased the Entropy effects of material even MORE invulnerable then Adamantium, Vibranium, or combo's of the two (Inertron in DC being the Uber Metal next to Promethium of course which is roughly the Adamantium equivalent but can also be used for an energy source (Since it's radioactive at first, the depleted version being used as armor and such for characters like Cyborg), hence making it just crumble to pieces. He's also effectively shut down a GL power ring, though this was getting close to his point of death (Chemical King suffered from a terminal case of Predestination Paradox), and around the time where he could control the speed of energy reactions (Such as making Light, stop.), and of course the cause of his death, was Altering and absorbing prodigious amounts of radiation that were able to shut down and paralyze the Silver Age Superboy.

A very under rated Hero with an understated power that's at once, Less, and in effect, a whole lot more in actual Results.

~Rex

Martian Manhunter's no slouch, either. Enhanced senses, flight, near-Supes level strength and invulnerability, megapowerful telepathy(depending on who's writing him), shapeshifting, density alteration and invisibility. He might get trumped by Solar (unless his telepathy zaps him first), but Chemical King would never see him coming.

The way Gladiator of the Imperial Guard gets written up lately, it's quite possible a power like CK's or even Molecule Man's might not work...so long as Gladiator refused to believe it could work on him.

I keep coming back to Captain Marvel... Now, I realize he's the red-suited stepchild of DC but lets consider his latest incarnation as keeper of the Rock of Eternity possessing 100 times his original power and the powers of the Wizard as well. Even before that (and I wish they'd go back) his powers were entirely magic based. How would Chemical King do against a being who shrugs off the considerable effects of science with the Stamina of Atlas?

Mordu didn't slow him down much. Hard to cast magic when the basic process of thought can't function, and Mordru is a beyond Shazam level Force of Nature.

Also, currently Billy can't leave the rock for any real length of time at the moment, and Freddie has assumed the role Billy used to have, Under the name Shazam (While Billy is just known as Marvel now) so that's, Half the Strength of Hercules and the Stamina of Apollo nowadays.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm a HUGE fan of the Big Red Cheese, vastly having always preferred Captain Marvel over Superman. Just not sold yet, on the current set up since they went around and Mucked with things. Though with the Wizard being back, and Unhappy about Billy sitting in the Chair (He pulls back all his power from the Marvel Family and boots them out of the rock), and Freddie running around with HIS name (Freddies abilities don't Come from the Wizard anymore so he's sill powered up), it should be and interesting retcon when they decide to fix it. So, considering the Current Shazam aka Captain Marvel, is just a B-squader at the moment, don't think he's gonna eeek into contention, as much as I'm still a Huge Fan even with the Mucked up Trials of Shazam storyline blowing continuity raspberries everywhere.

~Rex

I'm starting to get the suspicion that RexMundi likes Chemical King. :think:

He appeared so briefly and CK's power is so ill-defined that I just have to file him away into the plot device file, kinda like Tenzil eating an energy blast because "all energy is matter." I think Chemical King got the GM drunk before he handed in his character sheet for approval. In the end, he was just mortal flesh and bone. Wildfire could take him.:eg:

I'm going to say Dr. Strange. I'm suspecting that many of the other such uber-control beings are not magic resistant.

Are all extra dimensional beings counted? Such as Mephisto? In their own universe/plane/world they are near unbeatable.

Broadsword -|--->

Going back to the original post:

Had this as an open discussion amongst more then a few of my players. Some interesting things tend to pop up. So out of boredom at work and idle curiosity, I offer up the same discourse here. here are the Rules.

You get to Pick ONE, that would fit your criteria as the most Powerful Super Hero ever.

This character has to be from a Published Comic or Graphic Novel as a reoccurring character. Indies allowed.

This character can not, be a Force of Nature-esque character. For example. No Beyonder or that Ilk.

You can support your Selection, but try not to be overly detailed.

Said choice does not have to be currently Alive, or Currently published. Comics come and go so to do the Most Powerful. Should however you make an "Age" specific choice, you have to define the "Age" (Gold, Silver, etc).

There are two different things to consider here. First, what is the definition of powerful? The maximum amount of force that can be unleashed? The 'beatdown' measurement (who the character can defeat)?

Second, where does 'powerful' pass the 'Force of Nature' threshold? Does being a major character in an ongoing comic series automatically insulate you from the Force of Nature tag?

On the first point, if we use the beatdown measurement, I'm going to have to give the nod to Martian Manhunter, simply as the biggest jack-of-all-trades in comics. If you're tough physically, he can beat you mentally. If you're a mental powerhouse, he can attack you in the physical realm while still having enough mental juice to defend against your attacks. If you're tough enough to take down anyone with a blink, he can turn invisible, shift his form, and/or cloak his mind so you won't detect him until it's too late. He wins against my overall pick (listed below) because his defenses are good enough to avoid being one-shot if he's taken by surprise.

If we use the raw power threshold, I have to go back to my youth and pick Phoenix. Her telekinesis worked all the way down to the atomic level, and the only thing holding her back was her conscience (which was slowly being eroded by Mastermind).

On the second point, Martian Manhunter has no problems with the Force of Nature tag. Phoenix might, but she was a major character of the X-Men for many issues, and kept her humanity until she turned into Dark Phoenix.

That said, I'm going to go with a person who has a lot of raw power at his command...but more importantly, uses his power like an aikedo master to defeat vastly more powerful opponents - Dr. Strange. Unlike Dr. Fate (who in his most popular version is more like a Force of Nature, and not human), Dr. Strange is just a human...with a staggering knowledge of magic that allows him to catch virtually anyone off guard with a surprise maneuver. Like the Martian Manhunter, I can't see anyone tagging Dr. Strange with a Force of Nature tag.

Martian Manhunter gets an honorable mention, but loses out for two reasons. First, it's far too easy to get access to fire-based attacks. Second, against a Cosmic-level foe, Martian Manhunter has a lot of good defensive tricks but nothing to get past the level of invulnerability common to such beings. Dr. Strange has a magical solution for every foe, even the Cosmic ones. His one downside is that he has to have his spells running and gear available to avoid being taken down by a surprise attack. Still, "powerful' is a descriptor generally applied to offense, not defense.

That said, I'm going to go with a person who has a lot of raw power at his command...but more importantly, uses his power like an aikedo master to defeat vastly more powerful opponents - Dr. Strange. Unlike Dr. Fate (who in his most popular version is more like a Force of Nature, and not human), Dr. Strange is just a human...with a staggering knowledge of magic that allows him to catch virtually anyone off guard with a surprise maneuver. Like the Martian Manhunter, I can't see anyone tagging Dr. Strange with a Force of Nature tag.

Martian Manhunter gets an honorable mention, but loses out for two reasons. First, it's far too easy to get access to fire-based attacks. Second, against a Cosmic-level foe, Martian Manhunter has a lot of good defensive tricks but nothing to get past the level of invulnerability common to such beings. Dr. Strange has a magical solution for every foe, even the Cosmic ones. His one downside is that he has to have his spells running and gear available to avoid being taken down by a surprise attack. Still, "powerful' is a descriptor generally applied to offense, not defense.

I must admit, after Dr. Strange freaked out Galactus by using the Images of Ikonn to confront him with the specters of every sentient being he ever consumed... it's hard to disagree with you.

Heh, was wondering when Prometha would show up. Dr. Strange gets mentioned a few times as well, and in fact if we were making a list, I'd have him on it, Still, he's been beaten up, and badly, by folks that really should never be able to come close to him (though in truth this is because like a lot of the older more esoteric characters out there, he unfortunately suffers from continuity amnesia, as newer Writers tend to not remember that which they did not create.)

I could be persuaded to lean Dr. Strange, simple because he's the most developed of the many "sorcerer supreme" style characters out there. I side with Chemical King though in my initial pick, mostly because one of my good friends, his step dad, is a fairly well placed analytical chemist, and during a conversation one evening when we were all talking books and such, chemical king came up, and he was stunned, at what the power was. That lead to hours of conversation of just what could be done with that little power, and how, even with all the early limitations CK had in the beginning.

As for Wildfire beating him, heh, remember Wildfire was initially rejected from the Legion because he had no unique power of his own, and catastrophic breakdown of his containment suit knocks him out of the fight before it starts.

Dr. Strange though......I'll have to think about. Even the Hulk, whom has not been mentioned once in the thread, was able to beat Strange, and that was with a Zom fueled Strange at that.

~Rex

Dr. Strange though......I'll have to think about. Even the Hulk, whom has not been mentioned once in the thread, was able to beat Strange, and that was with a Zom fueled Strange at that.

That's why I specified "Silver Age Doctor Strange". His power has declined considerably since the old days when he made a perfect LSD chaser, like a lot of the most powerful Silver Age characters. Even so, punches from non magical opponents were always his Kryptonite.

True, Silver Age Doctor Strange was actually written with the Caveat of being the single most powerful character in the Marvel Universe. In short, Silver Age Strange, should show up, and pimp slap the new Zoo Review that currently is in the process of Mucking up Marvel anyway. I will raise the Silver Age good Doctor up a few rungs in that line of thinking THOUGH, as you stated, Silver Age Doctor Strange used to get punched in the face by non magical guys, and though he was Powerful enough, to face down Dormammu, he couldn't keep Dracula, out of his house. Lot of Ups and downs with the guy but his Ups, are pretty impressive.

~Rex