Do I need the 6th Martial Arts book?

palaskar

Re: Do I need the 6th Martial Arts book?

if you are the GM shouldn't you have final say on what system is used?

Out here, it's not that easy. You only get final say, if you have players that would stay at your table. Out here, if you don't play D&D then you do get to play much (unless you have a group of folks that you grew up with that were open to experimentation, or even grew up on different games, but those guys already have their gamers).

All of us that meet out here begin our friendships by finding a group, so if you don't know anyone then they don't care what your running; they are looking for the "game" they want, not the DM. But I managed to get into a few groups now, and shown them other systems, Currently I'm running a 2nd ed AD&D game with a guy who last gamed in High school with the 1st ed AD&D stuff, so that's cool, and like I said I've got a Hero game lined up and waiting till folks are a bit more mobile.

When I got here I decided that I was going to be a hard head, and not play any D&D, if the players wanted my games, then they would leave 3.5 and play... But after 3 years... no one would even sit down (other than my wife) to a non 3.5 game. Then once I started giving in, and just playing (no matter the system, I just needed to roll some bloody dice again), then I found some guys who would let me run a game, then I found some who would enjoy getting out of D&D for a bit, and under a different system.

Now guys know me well enough around the table that I can get a game together under "almost" any system I declare, but it's still known in my group, that they can get a game almost anywhere, like now there is 1 3.5 game, 1 4th game, my 2nd ed game (all D&D). And my Hero game is on hold because there are some that won't play it, and have moved on, though have offered to come back if I run a D&D game... Though I've been looking at Pathfinder to mess around with.

I guess it would be better to say that D20 hell is when the opportunity to play a more popular game (more tables) outweighs the effort to learn a new system (Most people in this category, a significant number of the modern roleplayer, barely even know there are other games (IE Borders and Barns and nobles only sell certain gaming companies) more to the point, most is that they actually believe that D&D is the best system out there. Sometimes it can be a rather zealous fervor when even trying to suggest a different game be in their vicinity. I may be over-exaggerating that a tad, but it's near to the way it feels out here sometimes.

I have seen Savage Worlds taking off though recently. Honestly 4th edition seems to have shaken the communities fervor enough to allow quite a bit of experimentation by the core Phoenix gamers... so it's looking good for the future... That's my take on that, I'll stop running my "fingers" off.. as it were.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out here' date=' it's not that easy. You only get final say, if you have players that would stay at your table. Out here, if you don't play D&D then you do get to play much (unless you have a group of folks that you grew up with that were open to experimentation, or even grew up on different games, but those guys already have their gamers). ....I guess it would be better to say that D20 hell is when the opportunity to play a more popular game (more tables) outweighs the effort to learn a new system (Most people in this category, a significant number of the modern roleplayer, barely even know there are other games (IE Borders and Barns and nobles only sell certain gaming companies) more to the point, most is that they actually believe that D&D is the best system out there. Sometimes it can be a rather zealous fervor when even trying to suggest a different game be in their vicinity. I may be over-exaggerating that a tad, but it's near to the way it feels out here sometimes. [/quote']

I don't think you're exaggerating too much. Getting people to play HERO has always been a little of a up-hill battle. The group I started with back in '70s has split into three groups (back with D&D 3.0), one that only plays D&D(most of the players who have joined since 3.0), one that won't play D&D(mainly from before 3.0), and the largest group that will anything. So who shows up depends on the game. I don't find much entertainment in "kill the monsters take their treasure/dungeon-crawls" anymore so it isn't so much the system as the campaign that desides my participation.

The guy in the Godzilla costume did develop a martial art for giant monster fights....

And don't forget, all the combat arts for the 5 Deadly Vemons were made up and not real (I just picked up the Dragon Dinasty edition of the film yesterday).

My question is, did any of my martial arts from Digital Hero make it in? I am shure that the ideal of the "improved grip" (+STR Abort manuver VS Takeaway and Disarm) made it. I would also love to see if my Energy Blast Combat Art made it also. Then again, as it said in Street Fighter "You Have A Lot To Learn. Try Again Kiddo."

And don't forget, all the combat arts for the 5 Deadly Vemons were made up and not real (I just picked up the Dragon Dinasty edition of the film yesterday).

My question is, did any of my martial arts from Digital Hero make it in? I am shure that the ideal of the "improved grip" (+STR Abort manuver VS Takeaway and Disarm) made it. I would also love to see if my Energy Blast Combat Art made it also. Then again, as it said in Street Fighter "You Have A Lot To Learn. Try Again Kiddo."

I recall a ranged combat art for energy blasters.

Out here, it's not that easy. You only get final say, if you have players that would stay at your table. Out here, if you don't play D&D then you do get to play much (unless you have a group of folks that you grew up with that were open to experimentation, or even grew up on different games, but those guys already have their gamers).

All of us that meet out here begin our friendships by finding a group, so if you don't know anyone then they don't care what your running; they are looking for the "game" they want, not the DM. But I managed to get into a few groups now, and shown them other systems, Currently I'm running a 2nd ed AD&D game with a guy who last gamed in High school with the 1st ed AD&D stuff, so that's cool, and like I said I've got a Hero game lined up and waiting till folks are a bit more mobile.

When I got here I decided that I was going to be a hard head, and not play any D&D, if the players wanted my games, then they would leave 3.5 and play... But after 3 years... no one would even sit down (other than my wife) to a non 3.5 game. Then once I started giving in, and just playing (no matter the system, I just needed to roll some bloody dice again), then I found some guys who would let me run a game, then I found some who would enjoy getting out of D&D for a bit, and under a different system.

Now guys know me well enough around the table that I can get a game together under "almost" any system I declare, but it's still known in my group, that they can get a game almost anywhere, like now there is 1 3.5 game, 1 4th game, my 2nd ed game (all D&D). And my Hero game is on hold because there are some that won't play it, and have moved on, though have offered to come back if I run a D&D game... Though I've been looking at Pathfinder to mess around with.

I guess it would be better to say that D20 hell is when the opportunity to play a more popular game (more tables) outweighs the effort to learn a new system (Most people in this category, a significant number of the modern roleplayer, barely even know there are other games (IE Borders and Barns and nobles only sell certain gaming companies) more to the point, most is that they actually believe that D&D is the best system out there. Sometimes it can be a rather zealous fervor when even trying to suggest a different game be in their vicinity. I may be over-exaggerating that a tad, but it's near to the way it feels out here sometimes.

I have seen Savage Worlds taking off though recently. Honestly 4th edition seems to have shaken the communities fervor enough to allow quite a bit of experimentation by the core Phoenix gamers... so it's looking good for the future... That's my take on that, I'll stop running my "fingers" off.. as it were.

It helps if you have players that want to play a genre other than fantasy. There's a couple players in the D&D group I'm in that's interested in doing sci-fi, so I offered to setup a campaign, and said we'd be doing HERO.

My question is' date=' did any of my martial arts from Digital Hero make it in? I am shure that the ideal of the "improved grip" (+STR Abort manuver VS Takeaway and Disarm) made it. I would also love to see if my Energy Blast Combat Art made it also. Then again, as it said in Street Fighter "You Have A Lot To Learn. Try Again Kiddo."[/quote']

--some new Elements for building Martial Maneuvers (but nothing radical, and there aren't any new Maneuvers in the master list)

Perhaps it made it in as one of the new Elements?...

It helps if you have players that want to play a genre other than fantasy. There's a couple players in the D&D group I'm in that's interested in doing sci-fi' date=' so I offered to setup a campaign, and said we'd be doing HERO.[/quote']

thats how to do it we now return to ourvreularly sheduled topic

No' date=' but I'd like to design a character with a football background at one point -- for example, an ex-lineman who had to leave the game when he developed brick powers.[/quote']

I take it you don't have the 4E Ninja Hero?

I might and might be able to see about converting it to 6E and posting it here.

No' date=' but I'd like to design a character with a football background at one point -- for example, an ex-lineman who had to leave the game when he developed brick powers.[/quote']

It shouldn't be hard to come up with: Shove, Martial Grab, Root, Escape, Defencive Throw to start with.

It shouldn't be hard to come up with: Shove' date=' Martial Grab, Root, Escape, Defencive Throw to start with.[/quote']

I think it was Shove, Root, Flying Tackle (a throw with the FMove element), Escape, and Martial Grab.

Are planning to do Blood Bowl HERO?0002.gif

Oddly enough, a year or two ago, I started to work on a set of rules for Football HERO. Not sure what happened to those notes... I know I was planning to replace OCV & DCV with OFV and DFV (offensive and defensive Football value, of course). OFV would be used for cases where a player actively attempted to make a play on the ball or another player (passing, receiving/intercepting, tackling, etc.) and DFV would be used for more 'passive' techniques (eluding tackles, shedding blocks, pass defense and so forth).

I had a list of maneuvers (Block, Tackle, Cover, Speed Rush, Bull Rush, various Passes and Catches) though I hadn't worked out the details for all of them, yet. I believe the plan was to model them as Martial Maneuvers, with maybe a few house rules.

Naturally, players would be able to buy Football Skill Levels (FSLs), with single maneuvers, groups of related maneuvers or with All Offense/All Defense...

It would have been glorious. Probably totally unworkable as an actual football simulation, but glorious.