Gladiators vs Werewolves

mattingly

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Gladiators vs Werewolves

Gladiators are cool but they've got nothing on something that has height, reach, strength, speed and ferocity on them. Even if you take away the "only hurt by silver" the werewolf would still win. Not saying that he'd walk away unscathed but he would be the one to walking away.

But I will give you that the armor is . . well bad for something that shapeshifts . . . . :)

Bah......Know what height and Reach means to a well trained Well Armed Fighter. You Stay AWAY, until the lumbering behemoth tires itself out trying to swipe at you. OR, you wait, close under the arc, and get into his guard. While Reach IS a tactical advantage, once a Smaller Fighter gets within that reach, it's actually a detriment.

~Rex

I feel the need to point out that the leader of the gladiators was a soldier that had fought the werewolves before. This is very different than if it was a random group of gladiators, which, while having some very good, experienced fighters, would also have a large number of criminals and slaves with little or no combat training.

I give this one to the gladiators, but only because of the back story...

Right and the werewolf(ves) themselves couldn't possibly be trained and naturally well armed themselves. The lumbering behemoth comment could be said for some but since you're using one set of mythos for your argument, I'll use the other. You might find one or two that are lumbering but the rest are just as agile, if not more so, than their human counterparts and I doubt they would wear themselves out fruitless trying to swipe at said gladiator.

That I didn't know, haven't been able to really find anything about the movie (honestly haven't looked). So I will give them a few points in their favor because at least one of them has fought (and obviously survived) werewolves before. But I still think the fight, inevitably goes to the werewolves.

'Course, this is starting to sound like a "Star Wars vs Star Trek" thread . . .

Of course the gladiators win. The movie's set in a historical context, even with the fantastic element of lycanthropy thrown in, and historically Rome never did become the center of a new werewolf empire.

That said, in another context -- some random fantasy world with its own Rome-equivalent, say -- a stable of professional werewolf gladiators could make for a legitimately awesome setting element. ;)

Gladiators are cool but they've got nothing on something that has height, reach, strength, speed and ferocity on them. Even if you take away the "only hurt by silver" the werewolf would still win. Not saying that he'd walk away unscathed but he would be the one to walking away.

But I will give you that the armor is . . well bad for something that shapeshifts . . . . :)

Good use of points in a multiform though

as the forms should be equivalent in points to get the most value

the points set to armor in the human form can be translated to ferocity in the were wolf form

"Immune to ordinary weapons" varies from source to source. One of the earliest werewolf stories I remember hearing about had a Roman legionary wounding a wolf and later finding one of his comrades wounded in the same way back at camp.

Yeah, and I remember another medieval-ish story where a woodsman manage to amputate a wolf's paw (with an axe I think) and coming home to find his wife missing a hand. More or less, same story, different century.

Bah......Know what height and Reach means to a well trained Well Armed Fighter. You Stay AWAY, until the lumbering behemoth tires itself out trying to swipe at you. OR, you wait, close under the arc, and get into his guard. While Reach IS a tactical advantage, once a Smaller Fighter gets within that reach, it's actually a detriment.

~Rex

True, one of the first things I was told about fighting "If you have the longer arms, you keep your opponent off of you to maximize your reach, if you have the shorter arms, you get in on him, to neutralize his reach"

Obviously, it goes to the gladiators: everyone knows that size, weight, muscle mass, reach, and strength are crippling disadvantages in a fight.

Well, if the smaller character is a woman, anyway. :P

ANd you know there will be at least one female gladiator who turns out to be a better fighting gladiator than all but the hero.:doi: