Who is an Empyrean?

Mathew

Hidden Lands states "The majority of Empyreans do not live in Arcadia — they maintain false identities and live among Humans. Most of them opt for glamorous, high-profile lives: tycoons with a penchant for spending most of the year sailing around the world on gigantic yachts; pop stars who score mega-hits almost at will and get married and divorced as easily as regular people snap their fingers; sports stars..."

Okay, so theories, if you wanted to make a cmapaign where REAL WORLD famous people are secret Empyreans, who would they be? They could be anyone famous living or dead (assume they fakes old age and death and moved on to a new identity). Johnny Appleseed? Tiger Wood? Marylin Munroe? Also, which Empyrean package would they get?

Re: Who is an Empyrean?

It has been a while since I read Hidden Lands, so I can't recall the packages unfortunately. But if I were going to pick "real world" Empyreans, I would have to choose people with myths and legends already around them, like Rasputin, Houdini, and Alexander the Great. At the risk of being sacrilegious, there are some good biblical characters that would fit the bill too; Solomon, Moses, and of course JC himself. But I don't think I would go there any more than I would try to feel up Charlton Heston at an NRA rally. Especially now that he's dead.

Fate can do strange things when It's in a whimsical mood.

For example, toss an Empyrian into a cave in Tibet with a young man. The Empyrian, in the blizzard, a mile up, would be hard-pressed to survive. The young man? He has no chance at all. He spends his time, as he freezes and dies, ranting at the world, the injustice. The injustice he'd come to Tibet to learn the skills he would need to fight it.

As the young man dies, the delirious Empyrian finds himself with a psychic flash, the rage of the young man at the dying of the light overwhelming him. His own personality submerges within the mind of this unlucky young man.

And thus, when he comes down from the mountains, this Empyrian, when asked who he is, answers:

"Bruce Wayne."

(Tell me it doesn't make sense with how they've amped Batman over the years that he could be an amnesiac Empyrian who uses all his abilities subconciously to do what he does.)

Elvis, of course. He was wearing a fat suit the last few years of his life to prepare the public to accept his demise. He just can't seem to resist revealing himself from time to time, though. ;)

Paul Newman. The guy's apparent aging was minimal, and he remained physically active (such as racing cars) well into his seventies.

Sir Richard Branson. He made a lot of money suspiciously early in life. With all the risky stunts he's pulled he obviously knows he can't die (but he'll have a good scenario ready for when he decides to fake it).

Howard Hughes. Another strangely youthful financial prodigy, who lived a risky and adventurous life. And what was the real reason he secluded himself from public view as he got older? Maybe because, he didn't? :sneaky: (Greta Garbo might have hidden herself for the same reason.)

Lance Armstrong. All those cycling victories over so many years, without drugs, and after (supposedly) recovering from cancer? The man can't be human. :rolleyes:

One of the Empyreans mentioned in Hidden Lands, "Musician Jubal," is a master of all musical instruments and styles contemporary and historical, and has been been many famous composers and performers. So you could slot your favorite musician into his life as an identity, particularly if said musician "died" young. (One of my nominees would be Jimi Hendrix.)

Another published Empyrean, Davos, maintains an identity as top NASCAR racer "Rick Swift," but you could make him another real-world racer in your campaign.

The most useful Empyrean package to give one of them living among humans would be "Mental Empyrean." That makes it easier for him/her to maintain a secret identity, manipulate people so as to acquire material goods, and divert nosy intruders. OTOH a star athlete would likely benefit most from "Swift Empyrean," while an engineer or artist could find great use for the "Transmuter Empyrean" package. However, if you want a combat ally or opponent for your PCs, "Bio-Energy Empyrean," "Strong Empyrean," or "Telekinetic Empyrean" would all be good choices.

One of the Empyreans mentioned in Hidden Lands' date=' "Musician Jubal," is a master of all musical instruments and styles contemporary and historical, and has been been many famous composers and performers. So you could slot your favorite musician into his life as an identity, particularly if said musician "died" young. (One of my nominees would be Jimi Hendrix.)[/quote']

Robert Johnson.

Pink : maybe

After that "Glitter in the Air" performance at the Grammys I can certainly see it. And didn't her first video feature her sailing a motorcycle off the top of one building and into one across the street? Maybe that didn't involve visual effects...

I'd assume Ashton Kutcher must be nearly invulnerable if no one has killed him in annoyance by now.