Is Defender the new Seeker?

Escafarc

Re: Is Defender the new Seeker?

OK, I'm looking through CU6E and on one of the pages is a picture of the Champions fighting in space and they all are wearing air tanks w/ a clear bubble(actually looks like a condom to me) helmet. Which is OK for most of them but there's Defender with the same set-up. Doesn't his Armor have LS and what about the so-all FF around his head?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off hand, I can see three possible explanations for the appearance of the bubble helmet depicted on CU6E 69 (completely ignoring error possibilities):

1) Assuming it's Istvatha V'han's 2007 failed invasion attempt that is depicted, Defender's FF and LS systems do run off his END Battery, so external life support might have been temporarily added to his suit to save on energy.

2) The alien (dimensional?) invasion took place some time closer to 2001, before he installed his Sealed Armor Systems (a few more EXP to earn before adding that).

3) It's the sfx of Defender's Sealed Armor System when deployed, and the other Champions use one-shot replicas of it (this explanation would assume Defender's player liked the look of it, unfortunately ;) ).

More meta-explanations, anyone? :)

1) and 2) would assume the GM kindly allowed the Champions players to borrow gear, likely from UNTIL or NASA, to get them out there.

I agree with this. Have you seen though the picture with two Seekers? One is the traditional Seeker and the other is him dressed more like a Dark Champions character. (Still not a traditional Seeker). I have come to accept the original as flambouyant because of genre. I mean Batman is sometimes depicted as a ninja (or at least ninjaesque) and he doesn't seem to garner as much flak. Though that could be because I have ran across the right boards. :)

That would be the cover for Adventurer's Club #25. There is also an article in there about the 2 seekers. I think that the CNM one was made more gritty and tougher looking to appeal to his critics.

Seeker rocked! He was like the Crocodile hunter and a Ninja rolled into one. I think the Seeker hate stems for him being the most popular hero among casual champions players back in the fourth edition days. Personally I think the entire Champions team back then both looked cool and had a great personality. I got the impression that each character had been made by a different player or at least with a different player in mind. The rewrites and increased "darkness" has not really gotten me hooked the same way I am sorry to say. I cant really see why a Batman homage with a beak on his head is more realistic or cool than an Australian, bare-chested ninja in puffy white pants. Oh well its too late now.

Seeker rocked! He was like the Crocodile hunter and a Ninja rolled into one. I think the Seeker hate stems for him being the most popular hero among casual champions players back in the fourth edition days. Personally I think the entire Champions team back then both looked cool and had a great personality. I got the impression that each character had been made by a different player or at least with a different player in mind. The rewrites and increased "darkness" has not really gotten me hooked the same way I am sorry to say. I cant really see why a Batman homage with a beak on his head is more realistic or cool than an Australian' date=' bare-chested ninja in puffy white pants. Oh well its too late now.[/quote']

Heh, I could never stand Seeker, NOR Nighthawk. Both for many numerous stated reasons, but then I date from the Marksman/Goliath-Giant days so I'm biased, heh.

~Rex

Heh, I could never stand Seeker, NOR Nighthawk. Both for many numerous stated reasons, but then I date from the Marksman/Goliath-Giant days so I'm biased, heh.

~Rex

I don't mind Nighthawk, I've always been a fan of G-Force, Battle of the Planets, Gattchaman or whatever it was called.

I don't mind Nighthawk' date=' I've always been a fan of G-Force, Battle of the Planets, Gattchaman or whatever it was called.[/quote']

If he had the Gatchaman/G-Force/battle of the Planets helmet set up, instead of the Water Fowl Cowl, and the body armor was more integrated (Like the Verdict in the 6e2 book), and less, Big cross your heart metal bra action, I could deal with the name and the Batman niche...(Every comic world needs a Batman type anyway)......

As for Defender.....I hate the new look, I keep waiting for him to be de-rezzed. I may get forced into running a shared CU game anyway in a few months, so methinks something is going to go for Defenders exposed parts with sharp and nasties just to get him out of the playing field. After that, King Leonides Ironclad is on my list.....Nighthawk we may just have re-drawn, heh. Even Nightwing had to work on his costume a bit before we got something that didn't look like a refugee from a bad fashion era.

~Rex

I missed C:NM altogether (Fusion too). Do you have a pic?

and one of seeker as well

Here is the Seeker from his bio:

bw_seeker.jpg

Here is the color pic from the back cover. He's a gadgeteer so that's where the jet pack comes from, it's not on his sheet.

seeker.jpg

Here is Quantum, Solitaire, and Defender from the cover. This is probably the best picture of him:

cover.jpg

Yeah' date=' very 90s Image Comics, but not as well done.[/quote']

Yeah I wasn't a fan of that style in even the comics really, but I still gotta say, it worked for Defender and it always looked like he was being drawn by someone else style wise while everyone else had to be strategicly placed to hide things like ankles or feet. :D

~Rex

Yeah except you didn't get any stats for that character. I have to say I even liked the Fuzion system itself, and the setting was good, and the layout of the book was interesting, a nice blend of the Cyberpunk stuff and the old Champions stuff. What I HATED, about NM, was the supplements that came out later where you got 3 pages of useful material for the game, for a gigantic price tag, and the filler, was so scattered you couldn't follow it......

Still though, their Defender didn't get the rise of dislike I get from the current one. I mean, the basic powered armor guy you get in the Vol2 example, is a Better Powered Armor character (And I use Powered Armor to describe Battle Suits to for the C-hair splitters out there), in design and implementation and LOOK, then Defender is in the Champions book. Still though that being said, if it weren't for the exposed Meat, I'd be happier with the look (And, if you photoshop him a bit to get rid of the Meat, he doesn't look bad at all.....)

~Rex....Still says he's the new Seeker though.....but, there may be someone he dislikes more on the Current Champions Line up if he puts some thought to it.

I don't know, some of the "art" in 5th ed supplements was downright awful (Hidden Lands leaps immediately to mind). I also think that's the best picture of Solitare and Quantum. I don't know, I wasn't a huge fan of the Fuzion system mostly because of the character creation system, but I absolutely love the setting.

Yeah my book fell apart on me too.

My biggest complaint with the CNM was the book itself fell apart almost right away. I had to punch holes and put it in a binder.

The binding did suck. Thankfully I pointed that out to either Bruce or Steve and they gave me a newer version that day that didn't have that problem.