Does your California Superhero team need land an island for a base?

Hermit

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/san-francisco-bays-only-private-island-still-for-sale

The problem with loving a hobby too much is seeing everything from a certain angle. I read this article (Link above) about a private island near San Francisco that was still for sale, and my first thought was 'Base!'

5.7 acres for you to develop for your campaign. Of course, as the article points out, there's slim chance of actually getting to build anything on it...

but nothing a GM couldn't work around ;)

Re: Does your California Superhero team need land an island for a base?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/san-francisco-bays-only-private-island-still-for-sale

The problem with loving a hobby too much is seeing everything from a certain angle. I read this article (Link above) about a private island near San Francisco that was still for sale, and my first thought was 'Base!'

5.7 acres for you to develop for your campaign. Of course, as the article points out, there's slim chance of actually getting to build anything on it...

but nothing a GM couldn't work around ;)

It's really not that big. You could build a decent sized house on it, but not much else. For Basing in the bay area, Purchasing a piece of Treasure Island, or the Alameda Naval Airstation would give you lots of space to build on. Also pieces of both of those are also far enough away from other residents that your base wouldn't put them in danger. TI is pretty darned close to San Francisco, and not very far away from Oakland, and Berkeley. Alameda NAS, is close to Oakland it isn't real far away from SF.

Thinking about it, I imagine that the Oakland Army base might also make a decent site for a base. It's on the opposite side of the Bay Bridge from Treasure Island.

Red rock island on Google Maps

Treasure Island on Google Maps

Alameda NAS

Can't find the Oakland Army Base on Google maps. Nothing on Sat View that I can recognize.

It's really not that big. You could build a decent sized house on it, but not much else. For Basing in the bay area, Purchasing a piece of Treasure Island, or the Alameda Naval Airstation would give you lots of space to build on. Also pieces of both of those are also far enough away from other residents that your base wouldn't put them in danger. TI is pretty darned close to San Francisco, and not very far away from Oakland, and Berkeley. Alameda NAS, is close to Oakland it isn't real far away from SF.

Thinking about it, I imagine that the Oakland Army base might also make a decent site for a base. It's on the opposite side of the Bay Bridge from Treasure Island.

Red rock island on Google Maps

Treasure Island on Google Maps

Alameda NAS

Can't find the Oakland Army Base on Google maps. Nothing on Sat View that I can recognize.

And its MUCH easier to create your own mutated minions on Treasure Island!!!

"After the Naval Station closed in 1997, Treasure Island was opened to residential and other uses, but according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency and the state Department of Toxic Substances Control, the groundwater and air are contaminated with asbestos, plutonium, radium and other substances which are known to cause cancer and other illnesses."

It is occurring to me that a real estate agency that handles selling land to superheroes might be interesting.

"As you requested, this island has a volcano...and are you SURE you're a superhero? Because traditionally...."

As to the original island, I found it interesting that the island was bought for $50,000 in the 1960s, and the current owner is trying to sell it for $22 million now. (And as recent as 2007, the asking price was $10 million.) Why the exhorbitant price? Perhaps he doesn't really *want* anyone buying it... Who knows what terrible secret / incredible being / object of power is hidden there?

I'm sure a good GM can come up with *some* adventure plot to go along with this.

"As you requested' date=' this island has a volcano...and are you SURE you're a superhero? Because traditionally...."[/quote']

The Champions campaign I used to run years ago had a volcano island base for the heroes. I even had one heroine's DNPC boyfriend go off exploring and found a strange bone crown that he put on and temporarily became a new member of the Crowns of Krim.

Ah, good times, good times!

Alas, my superteam is based in Los Angeles, and a island next to S. Frisco is too far to commute.

(Why no love in Champions for LA? 30 years after the founding of the game, and still no team in the CU based in Los Angeles. But THREE in SF, with a fraction of the population.)

Alas, my superteam is based in Los Angeles, and a island next to S. Frisco is too far to commute.

(Why no love in Champions for LA? 30 years after the founding of the game, and still no team in the CU based in Los Angeles. But THREE in SF, with a fraction of the population.)

Two words: Holly Wierd.

I would nab a chuck of The Presidio or Fort Point.

The problems with both of those is that they are state (or national) parks and are tourist attractions. Same problem with "the Rock" aka Alcatraz island. Some of the more interesting bases that were closed in the 60's and 70's are now tourist attractions. Our old WWII base that held our coastal guns at Point Bonita (SP?) is a park and gets tons of visitors exploring the ammo magazines and bunkers.

There's a ton of former military bases in the Bay Area that could be converted to Hero base use. In the Oakland Hills we have the Oak Knoll Naval Hospital (had a VERY nice Officer's Club).

Alas, my superteam is based in Los Angeles, and a island next to S. Francisco is too far to commute.

SH, that's because the Original Writers of Hero lived in the Bay Area south of San Francisco. So the Guardians, and later the Champions were based in the SF Bay Area. Before Champions was published all super teams lived on the East Coast or near the East Coast. So the original writers used their native's knowledge of the Bay Area to good use esp when Champions New Millennium was published (which has the best version of the Bay Area, that I have seen in a gaming supplement). Gold Rush Games' San Angelo is a fictionalized LA from what I could tell. It certainly felt more LA than Bay Area to me.

SH' date=' that's because the Original Writers of Hero lived in the Bay Area south of San Francisco. So the Guardians, and later the Champions were based in the SF Bay Area. Before Champions was published all super teams lived on the East Coast or near the East Coast. So the original writers used their native's knowledge of the Bay Area to good use esp when Champions New Millennium was published (which has the best version of the Bay Area, that I have seen in a gaming supplement). Gold Rush Games' San Angelo is a fictionalized LA from what I could tell. It certainly felt more LA than Bay Area to me.[/quote']

This makes some sense.

But I always felt that the San Angelo setting was set in Northern California, in a kind of "What if the Sacramento River was big enough to support a major seaport". sense.

(In the mid 1980's, I was stationed in San Fransisco, and ate lunch at the Frisco Bakery. The owner told me how 'everyone called it 'Frisco, until the 1960's when all the rich folk from Marin County began saying that 'Frisco' was insulting. So what was the popular name became the insulting name... I have relatives in the Bay Area. The older ones call it "Frisco", because "that's what we've always called it", the younger ones hate the word. Go figure.)