Would you marry a near-human alien?

Steve

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Would you marry a near-human alien?

I fully understand where you are coming from, and my goal in the various postings I have recently been doing about aliens, alien biology, alien language, etc has been to help me discover areas where I need to do more thinking about in order to have a better campaign to present to my players.

Gamers and fanboys, like those on the Hero forums, are a good resource for picking out flaws and places needing to be filled in.

My original alien idea has slowly evolved with the assistance of comments from a vaguely generic concept into them being Neanderthals taken from Earth thousands of years ago. Those original ancestors were experimented on and genetically modified into a slave soldier caste (the females) and a technician/priest caste (the males).

Those lost children of Earth have now returned, bringing advanced technology with them. They are now integrating into our culture and finding their place among us.

I'm really grateful to those posters in my various threads who have given thoughtful comments.

I probably should have taken a look at the other thread. Sorry to harsh your mellow. I was basically just looking at the question head on and trying to have some fun with it.

I suspect that pheromones and major histocompatibility complex interactions play a much larger role in human mating than we tend to be aware. So unless their near humanness includes interactive chemicals, I suspect that relationships would be pretty platonic even if visually they were attractive.

I suspect that pheromones and major histocompatibility complex interactions play a much larger role in human mating than we tend to be aware. So unless their near humanness includes interactive chemicals' date=' I suspect that relationships would be pretty platonic even if visually they were attractive.[/quote']

True, plus it takes very little cranio-facial abnormality from 'human norm' to make someone appear very unattractive... just take a look at any human with mutational genetic disorders (or fetal toxicity syndromes of a variety of types) and see how off-putting socially and (especially) sexually a little deviation can be.

I suspect that pheromones and major histocompatibility complex interactions play a much larger role in human mating than we tend to be aware. So unless their near humanness includes interactive chemicals' date=' I suspect that relationships would be pretty platonic even if visually they were attractive.[/quote']

Well, the alien race I am creating for my campaign are descendants of Neanderthal man, so they would be close cousins of mankind. I read through the article, and I noticed that MHC dissimilarity is theorized to be an aspect of sexual attraction, in order to improve the species. They would have such chemicals, so this would not be a barrier to attraction.

True' date=' plus it takes very little cranio-facial abnormality from 'human norm' to make someone appear very unattractive... just take a look at any human with mutational genetic disorders (or fetal toxicity syndromes of a variety of types) and see how off-putting socially and (especially) sexually a little deviation can be.[/quote']

*Deviation* being the key word here. For aliens, such similar features are the norm. Some just not like deviation within their OWN species, but be fine with others.

Well' date=' the alien race I am creating for my campaign are descendants of Neanderthal man, so they would be close cousins of mankind. I read through the article, and I noticed that MHC dissimilarity is theorized to be an aspect of sexual attraction, in order to improve the species. They would have such chemicals, so this would not be a barrier to attraction.[/quote']

Yes, the alien you are describing would likely be chemically speaking hawt. Close enough from a histocompatibility standpoint to be able to make the appropriate chemical handshakes, but different enough that no matter who you were they would come across as exotic.