Personal Companion Bots. and a months long voyage....

Pizza Man

Re: Personal Companion Bots. and a months long voyage....

I think for purposes of this discussion, there's no SO in the picture. (At least, that's the impression I've been given.) Also, the companion 'bot might not be of the 'biological' variety so I'm not sure it'll use up much life support -- unless it runs on fuel cells that need oxygen to function. I agree with Tasha 100% about the 'responsibility' angle, which is why I'd insist there be no chance of the 'bot becoming sentient/sapient/self-aware in any way; that's not a desirable outcome for anyone involved. Self-awareness is a lousy thing to inflict on our toys, especially by accident; "love" is even worse. (The movie A.I. covered this territory fairly well....)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second that. Build something sapient and give it the same rights and privileges as any other sapient being, or build something non-sapient and make sure it stays that way. Any other course of action leads to gross ethical violations and AI rebellions.

I think for purposes of this discussion' date=' there's no SO in the picture. (At least, that's the impression I've been given.) Also, the companion 'bot might not be of the 'biological' variety so I'm not sure it'll use up much life support -- unless it runs on fuel cells that need oxygen to function. I agree with Tasha 100% about the 'responsibility' angle, which is why I'd insist there be no chance of the 'bot becoming sentient/sapient/self-aware in any way; that's not a desirable outcome for anyone involved. Self-awareness is a lousy thing to inflict on our toys, especially by accident; "love" is even worse. (The movie A.I. covered this territory fairly well....)[/quote']

Yeah, I just keep picturing the Gigolo bot from AI and how confused he was when women wouldn't respond to him that way anymore. Also, we get to the edge of semi Sentient bots and I keep feeling the same way.

I can see how some people might be tempted by something like that. I keep thinking about it and no matter what the Bot's gender, thinking that it's a turn off. I don't think I could get past it not being a person.

Also, there's the though of what could go wrong with a bot that is defective and malfunctions. Most bots of the Mechanical variety are much more strong than an average human. Nope, I'll keep to what I can keep in my drawer. It's pretty hard to hurt myself with that stuff.

About the SO thing. I was assuming that one would only be thinking about a bot if one were lonely and single. I was trying to also point out that not everyone remains single. Also single people go out on dates while in port sometimes. What do you do with your sex bot then? Do you use it as a conversation piece? So you place in your closet and turn it off for the night (then it becomes the lifelike statue/corpse in the closet)? This is 5'5" tall piece of anthropomorphic piece of technology you have in your room.

I guess the Stepford Wife is a fantasy for some people, but I need something more.

Difficult question. My charecter is sort of a Han Solo type, so taking care of the daily chores himself would be his natural inclanation. The thing comes down to the other companions. You say it's him and 5 other people, but who are they. If their five cute to beautiful women, no don't buy it. It dosen't work to well when trying to seduce an actual woman when she's thinking your doing odd things to your toaster. If their a bunch of guys he'd consider it. After all it's not like you have to use all it's functions. And it would be the best thing to look at on the ship. He could always explain it as something disposable in the event of trouble.

I was trying to also point out that not everyone remains single. Also single people go out on dates while in port sometimes.

But unfortunately, some of us DO. And don't.

There would be a market for a companion bot, I'm sure.

but I need something more.

I aim to please. Although in this case, I needed Christoper's help to come up with “more.”

About remote control:

Isn't there some way to fuse with summons? Wouldn't place it in the companion in the first place. It's more like relaying all sensory/motoric I/O to a module somewhere at home. Perhaps a sort of Clairsentience or Mind Control with sensory feedback/concentration (like for the Astral Form Example on 6E1 204 or a ghost posession power), target must be willing and a Bulky Focus (the interface hardware).

Ironically, this kind of more costs less: only 3 Real Points. Note that one aspect of this write up draws from a power supply such as a space ship's engines, and the other costs personal END.

Reach out and Touch Someone.

Dedicated Subspace Net Immersion Device: Mind Link , One Specific Mind, No LOS Needed, Unlimited range in this dimension (20 Active Points); OAF Bulky Expendable (Personal Focus ; Bulky couch with attached "helm" covering entire head. ; -1 1/2), Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (Both parties must be using their equipment simultaneously; -1), Extra Time (1 Minute, Only to Activate, Character May Take No Other Actions, -1), Limited Power Subject to "Don't Break Out" rolls (After 5 minutes, make an EGO based on COMBINED EGOs to maintain connection (Systems Operation is complementary) Thereafter, roll with cumulative -3 at each step of the Time chart.; -1), Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; One of the first things the device does is induce the "sleep paralysis" reflex; -3/4), Costs Endurance (Must draw energy from local "grid," shipboard power, battery, etc; -1/2), Requires A Roll (13- roll; Jammed; May be blocked by subspace interference; -1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect occurs when character stops using power; "Disconnection Shock." Lose 20% of current BOD and drop to STUN 0 automatically when terminating connection. ; -1/2), Stops Working If Character Is Knocked Out (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Subject to subspace "jamming" ; -1/4)

Real Cost 2

END (power) cost 2

Notes: These units are always produced in linked pairs, each attuned to a specific individual. They enable an instantaneous form of communication over even interstellar distances. When the individual is reclining upon the machine with head encased in the feedback device, the machine will "read" the total gestalt of brain activity while attempting to establish a realtime subspace radio connection to its counterpart. If both are in use at the same time, a very intimate degree of brain to brain communication may be enabled after about 1 minute. On a roll of 14 + on 3d6 either a connection was not established or a fragmentary, distorted signal indicates that both are "online" but a useful connection cannot be made. (optionally, this could vary by distance; automatic up to some minimum distance, fails on 17+ on same planet, 15+ in same solar system, 13+ if interstellar.) After 5 minutes, make a roll based on the combined EGO scores of both parties, i.e. if both are EGO 10 the roll is 9 + (10/2) + (10/2) = 13 to preserve the link; roll again at each step of the Time Chart with a cumulative -3 until failure. Upon disconnection, whether voluntary or not, the user suffers a loss of 20% of current BOD and STUN drops to 0. This "disconnection shock" to the nervous system prevents most users from making such communion a daily indulgence.

Virtual Reality: Mental Illusions 1d6, Only through Mind Link (+0), Cumulative (96 points; +1 1/2) (12 Active Points); OAF Bulky (Bulky couch with attached "helm" covering entire head; -1 1/2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Mutually Constructed Hallucination (See notes.; -1), Linked (Dedicated Subspace Net Immersion Device; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -3/4), Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4), Depends on Character's Knowledge (-1/2), Stops Working If Character Is Knocked Out (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Subject to subspace "jamming" ; -1/4)

Real Cost 1

END cost 3

Notes: When a brain to brain subspace connection is first established, each usually experiences the other as a vague presence and a disembodied "mental voice." With an effort of will (and expenditure of 3 END per turn) a shared environment, including "physical" bodies for each party, is usually established. If only one is expending END that one has greater control, but neither partner ever has total conscious control of the shared environment; the desires, hopes, and sometimes fears of both may be reflected, including even suppressed or subconscious elements. The Illusion is cumulative and if the connection is held long enough may become virtually indistinguishable from a normal sensory experience. Once a given level of effect is achieved it is not necessary to continue expending END. Creating familiar surroundings and self-images in accord with their real appearance is normally easy; exotic or novel environments or avatars may require EGO or INT rolls.

Research continues on a version capable of connecting more than two people at a time.

Christopher, since it was your idea, would you like to propose a name for this device? I will say I don't think "Remote Control" is appropriate.

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises. Permission to copy this device for personal use of two characters in a committed relationship who love each other very much.

I don't see a companion bot as being fundamentally different from a fleshlight, except better for its intended purpose, and (as mentioned) harder to hide when having flesh-and-blood guests for the night.

This does remind me of that documentary on the Real Dolls that got linked to a few years back. One girl was dating a guy when she found out he was into the Real Dolls, and had several (at least seven to ten(!)). Later in the documentary, it revealed that she broke up with him...it was too weird for her.

I don't see a companion bot as being fundamentally different from a fleshlight, except better for its intended purpose, and (as mentioned) harder to hide when having flesh-and-blood guests for the night.

This does remind me of that documentary on the Real Dolls that got linked to a few years back. One girl was dating a guy when she found out he was into the Real Dolls, and had several (at least seven to ten(!)). Later in the documentary, it revealed that she broke up with him...it was too weird for her.

There are some things that, while okay when you're unattached, it's best to just ditch with no regrets when you meet someone. If it doesn't work out, you can replace your toys. You can't do that with a real person. Some might consider this dishonest, but honestly, trying to have both is not likely work.

Personally I like to call these things "Concubots." And if I (or a character of my creation) were to have one, it would also have some basic housekeeping, nursing, and secretarial skills.

And who needs ribs? Frogs get by without ribs.
But they want them. That's why they keep saying "Rib it."

I don't see a companion bot as being fundamentally different from a fleshlight.

Then you're focusing on only one possible function and ignoring all the others.

A fleshlight will not cook for you, clean for you, rub your feet, play board or card or computer games with you, sing to you, dance for you, and certainly won't carry on a conversation.

Lucius Alexander

Personally, though, I'm keeping my palindromedaries.

A fleshlight will not cook for you, clean for you, rub your feet, play board or card or computer games with you, sing to you, dance for you, and certainly won't carry on a conversation.

Lucius Alexander

Personally, though, I'm keeping my palindroemdaries.

I have an inkling of an idea that any bot that can be used for sex will carry the "blow up doll" stigma for it's owner. Even if the owner never uses that functionality.

A bot that looks like an object and not a sex pot will be considered ok as it looks like an appliance and it will be assumed that the appliance is your Maid, personal secretary etc.

It's also likely that certain models will carry that sex bot stigma, while others may be considered ok (esp if those other models don't come with the sex bot features as default)

Oh and the puppeteer thingie won't make it any better for the average SO. Many women would wonder if you were more attracted to the beautiful sexpot bot than you are to them.

Oh and the puppeteer thingie won't make it any better for the average SO. Many women would wonder if you were more attracted to the beautiful sexpot bot than you are to them.

I decided to bypass the "bot" because it was a superfluous complication - easier to just set up a brain to brain connection.

And I still never imagined that someone would be jealous of what would, in that case, amount to nothing but a link in the connection.

The nice thing about my Mutual Immersion Neuroconnectivity Device is that you can be your ideal physical self if you want....or create yourself exactly as your current physical body appears. Or even change back and forth. Frankly, I'd expect it to often be used to create "exactly the way it would be, if you/I were home."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says it's not the next best thing to being there, in some ways it's BETTER than being there.

I asumed the it's not a classical Companion Bot, but rather a replication of your girlfriend that can only be used with her in the machine. Basically Cybersex 2.0

You are right about the stigma, that's also why I would choose a simple household robot rather than a women replica.

Choosing the appereance and voice accordingly, also avoids accidental emotional attachment (In the game AquaNox the main character did something similar with his personal, female AI to prevent that).

Another example: While in mass Effect they are far enough to make convincing human hologramms, the VI's are clearly made "virtual" in apereance.

Lucius Alexander

Personally, though, I'm keeping my palindroemdaries.

I didn't think having a robot to cook, clean, and otherwise act in ways your mom or sister might was too controversial. I only addressed the controversial aspect.

You can change the initial scenario a bit.

If the crew robots are able to be near-sentient, you could have them and a single human commander on board to handle things their programming won't. In such a case, having a single AI bioroid as a companion would be needed to avoid psychosis setting in. Humans don't tend to do well all by themselves for long periods of time.

I offer this suggested alternative because it would cut down on life support needs.

Humans don't tend to do well all by themselves for long periods of time.

Interesting trivia tidbit: A fire can provide the same psychological comfort to a human as another human. A human with a fire is not alone.

Although I doubt open flames would be the solution to the problem for a long spaceflight...

No, my wife would not be happy if made such a purchase. If I didn't have a wife, I still wouldn't be interested. The whole having sex with an appliance is kinda a turn-off to my 21st century libido.

What you say it is no longer the 21st century and libidos have moved on from from quaint, old, prudish 21st century sensibilities. Well, then what is all this talk of fembots? If we are really down with loving the machine why are we bothering to make them look human at all? How about some tentacles and a greater choice of orifices here. Also, how about bringing a couple of these things into bedroom, bathroom or public park with you and your SO when the the two (three, five, whatever) of you decide to get busy. Because lets face it, even this modern physical enhancements both of you are rather limited in your sexual abilities compared to a modern recreation companion.

What I guess I'm saying is that fembots are retro-futurish. There is nothing wrong with that when done deliberately, but if a retro-future isn't what you are shooting for fembots are a bit out of place.

There are some things that' date=' while okay when you're unattached, it's best to just ditch with no regrets when you meet someone. If it doesn't work out, you can replace your toys. You can't do that with a real person. Some might consider this dishonest, but honestly, trying to have both is not likely work.[/quote']

Okay...now I have this mental image of the Closer (mmm, Kyra Sedgwick), the Criminal Minds team, the Bones team, or any number of other crime-solving teams, being rousted out at 3 a.m. to investigate a body that's been dumped somewhere...only to find that's it's only a RealDoll someone ditched. I mean, tossing out a RealDoll is gonna be a lot like dumping a body, right?

Okay...now I have this mental image of the Closer (mmm' date=' Kyra Sedgwick), the Criminal Minds team, the Bones team, or any number of other crime-solving teams, being rousted out at 3 a.m. to investigate a body that's been dumped somewhere...only to find that's it's only a RealDoll someone ditched. I mean, tossing out a RealDoll is gonna be a lot like dumping a body, right?[/quote']

Well, maybe not. If it's the mechanical variety, you won't get into trouble for shutting off the power on your RealDoll, concubot, or whatever, and putting it in a storage unit while you're running a sale to unload it on eBay or Craigslist. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "ditch" like that. There are lots of good ways to find a new home for a 'bot you don't want/need any more, you know "50 Ways to Leave Your (robotic) Lover."

But since we're basically talking about sex with a machine here, maybe it should be

"50 Ways to Love Your Lever." :sneaky:

How about some tentacles and a greater choice of orifices here.

As you wish.

-10 (Strip out Overall Level)

-3 (Strip out Contortionist)

-4 (Strip out Double Jointed)

14 How many, how deep, and how wide do you want the orifices?: Shape Shift (Sight and Touch Groups, limited group of shapes), Instant Change, Costs END Only To Change Shape (+1/4) (29 Active Points); Affects Body Only (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1/2) END: 6

2 Did someone say tentacles?: Extra Limb (1) (5 Active Points); Linked (How many, how deep, and how wide do you want the orifices?; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4) END: 1

5 This unit can pleasure all of you at once: Stretching 2m, x2 body dimension, x4 Noncombat, Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4) (15 Active Points); Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Linked (How many, how deep, and how wide do you want the orifices?; -1/2), No Velocity Damage (-1/4) END: 1

2 The eyes have it: Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) with Normal Sight (5 Active Points); Linked (How many, how deep, and how wide do you want the orifices?; -1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4) END: 1

2 Pheremones: Change Environment (-1 to any roll to resist Persuasion or Charm used seductively), Area Of Effect (4m Radius; Varies according to wind, etc; +1/4) (4 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Hold your breath; -1/4) END: 1

4 Awaken your body to new depths of sensation: +2 PER with Touch Group, Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +1/4), Usable As Attack (+1/2), Grantor can only grant the power to others, Recipient must remain close to Grantor (7 Active Points); Linked (Pheremones; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) END: 1

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary isn't sure what this means

What I guess I'm saying is that fembots are retro-futurish. There is nothing wrong with that when done deliberately, but if a retro-future isn't what you are shooting for fembots are a bit out of place.

So, Would you buy a..um...personal companion bot? Be greeted in your cabin with a smile and a welcome. Programed to keep the place clean, pick up you socks with complaint, massage therapy, react like your burps and farts are cute...

I think you mean without there, but never mind. And sure! A good masseuse is well worth the 2000.

I think you mean without there' date=' but never mind. And sure! A good masseuse is well worth the 2000.[/quote']

With, without, it can be either way. I love that 13 points set aside for customization. I probably should have dropped the Overall Level and made it 23 pts. I already posted (under spoiler) the package for the fembot who WILL complain about picking up socks, nag, and pick random quarrels.

I really want to thank Ranxerox for the inspiration for the "Refugee from Hentai" package. The pheremone modules are especially fascinating...

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Enterprises denies that any of our fembots have been caught cheating on their Turing tests

The palindromedary isn't sure what this means

Sexbots reflect some bizarre mésalliance between futurism and regressivism. It simultaneously involves technologies far in advance of the present (effective simulation of most every element of personhood) and the most backwards idea of how relationships should work (cook, clean, give me a blowjob).