Personal Companion Bots. and a months long voyage....

Pizza Man

Re: Personal Companion Bots. and a months long voyage....

Palindromedary Enterprises denies that any of our fembots have been caught cheating on their Turing tests

"Cheating on their Turing tests"...

I went to school with some people who 'cheated on the Turing test'.

And I'm out of rep for the day.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you wish.

-10 (Strip out Overall Level)

-3 (Strip out Contortionist)

-4 (Strip out Double Jointed)

14 How many, how deep, and how wide do you want the orifices?: Shape Shift (Sight and Touch Groups, limited group of shapes), Instant Change, Costs END Only To Change Shape (+1/4) (29 Active Points); Affects Body Only (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1/2) END: 6

2 Did someone say tentacles?: Extra Limb (1) (5 Active Points); Linked (How many, how deep, and how wide do you want the orifices?; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4) END: 1

5 This unit can pleasure all of you at once: Stretching 2m, x2 body dimension, x4 Noncombat, Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4) (15 Active Points); Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Linked (How many, how deep, and how wide do you want the orifices?; -1/2), No Velocity Damage (-1/4) END: 1

2 The eyes have it: Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) with Normal Sight (5 Active Points); Linked (How many, how deep, and how wide do you want the orifices?; -1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4) END: 1

2 Pheremones: Change Environment (-1 to any roll to resist Persuasion or Charm used seductively), Area Of Effect (4m Radius; Varies according to wind, etc; +1/4) (4 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; Hold your breath; -1/4) END: 1

4 Awaken your body to new depths of sensation: +2 PER with Touch Group, Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +1/4), Usable As Attack (+1/2), Grantor can only grant the power to others, Recipient must remain close to Grantor (7 Active Points); Linked (Pheremones; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) END: 1

Lucius Alexander

Yes, that build covers it. A shape shifting, stretching robot could come in handy in repair work, construction, electronics, mechanics, plumbing and a bunch of other jobs that I'm failing to think of. So, it is easy to imagine lots of skill upgrades for this bot.

At less god-like tech levels it might have to lose the shapeshifting and pheromones though it could keep the extra limbs and heightened sensations.

The palindromedary isn't sure what this means

Tell the palindromedary that this poster* considers humanoid robots in general retro-futurish. Back when few actual robots existed, fictional robots were almost always depicted as being at least vaguely humanoid. However, since we have started making more of the real things form has become dictated by function, and the human form is rarely the optimal form for the functions for which we build robots. This seems unlikely to change so IMHO humanoid robots will never be as common in real life as they were in the science fiction of the 30s through the 70s.

* - Note for fans of irony: The poster is itself a humanoid robot made from a photocopier parts of all things. Since the poster has yet to understand its intended function, it can't comment on the suitability of its form to perform that function.

Sexbots reflect some bizarre mésalliance between futurism and regressivism. It simultaneously involves technologies far in advance of the present (effective simulation of most every element of personhood) and the most backwards idea of how relationships should work (cook' date=' clean, give me a blowjob).[/quote']

While this is not what I meant at all, it is totally true and a good observation to boot. Have some rep.

"Cheating on their Turing tests"...

I went to school with some people who 'cheated on the Turing test'.

I think you mean, people who might not have been able to pass a Turing test, and it seems unfair that they don't have to, to be considered Human.

Yes, that build covers it. A shape shifting, stretching robot could come in handy in repair work, construction, electronics, mechanics, plumbing and a bunch of other jobs that I'm failing to think of. So, it is easy to imagine lots of skill upgrades for this bot.

At less god-like tech levels it might have to lose the shapeshifting and pheromones though it could keep the extra limbs and heightened sensations.

Tell the palindromedary that this poster* considers humanoid robots in general retro-futurish. Back when few actual robots existed, fictional robots were almost always depicted as being at least vaguely humanoid. However, since we have started making more of the real things form has become dictated by function, and the human form is rarely the optimal form for the functions for which we build robots. This seems unlikely to change so IMHO humanoid robots will never be as common in real life as they were in the science fiction of the 30s through the 70s.

I find this an odd objection, as the fembot's form does follow function.

I am, however, reminded of a science fiction story from the fifties (I should probably dig it out and get the title and author, the book's around here somewhere) in which humanoid robots are common, but a couple of "geniuses" realize, "Hey, robots would work much better of we actually designed their form to match their jobs!" and proceed to make a bundle and spark a revolution - once they manage to overcome everyone's attitude of "everyone knows what robots are supposed to look like, and yours don't look like that!"

If by "heightened sensations" you're refering to the enhanced sense of touch, that's part of the pheremone power - a chemical that enhances the sense of touch when inhaled, so all those warm, gently caressing tentacles feel even better. Won't make it a better mechanic, but would make it a better masseuse.

Sexbots reflect some bizarre mésalliance between futurism and regressivism. It simultaneously involves technologies far in advance of the present (effective simulation of most every element of personhood) and the most backwards idea of how relationships should work (cook' date=' clean, give me a blowjob).[/quote']

I believe I pointed out that one of the benefits of such artificial companions on the kind of voyage described in the original post, is the facilitation of uncomplicated relationships among the Human crew. This way they aren't asking one another for blowjobs.

In fact, here's the post:

I don't know about you' date=' but being interested in a woman while being perfectly aware that the "interest" is going absolutely nowhere is pretty much an everyday experience for me. I've long since learned to ignore such potential exercises in futility as distractions from more productive pursuits such as finding ways to [b']relate to such women, no matter how "interesting," as people[/b], as co-workers, as gamers, or in whatever other roles and contexts I find them, rather than as sex objects.

This goes double for co-workers by the way, and probably triple for shipmates.

In other words, as long as my companion stays in my cabin and my shipmate's amusingly pointless disgust stays in hers, there's no reason we can't have a relationship of mutual respect in the bridge or engine room, shared relaxation in the rec room, and playful competition in the gym. Just like with any other two crewmembers.

In fact, a major benefit of the availabillity of such private companions is the facilitation of smooth and uncomplicated working relationships among a mixed crew. If the captain has one in her quarters, I would worry less that she'd get lonely on a long voyage and put one of the rest of us in an awkward position vis a vis "fraternization."

And I'll add to that the fact that, while it was obviously written from a male point of view (I'm male, obviously) the principle should work the same either way; a companion actually designed to meet a woman's needs and desires would mean it's no longer necessary to view men as a means of meeting those needs.

Lucius Alexander

These palindromedaries hang around, so I must be meeting their needs somehow. How many have I got now anyway?

Y

Bear in mind that so far our engineering isn't sophisticated enough to make a robot in human form that can do things like, say, walk, or have lifelike facial expressions, or in fact do anything much except creep the heck out of anyone who looks at them so obviously any function we'll build a robot for is going to be one for which the human form is optimal.

Bear in mind that so far our engineering isn't sophisticated enough to make a robot in human form that can do things like' date=' say, walk, or have lifelike facial expressions, or in fact do anything much except creep the heck out of anyone who looks at them so obviously any function we'll build a robot for is going to be one for which the human form is optimal.[/quote']

One can create a human form robot that doesn't creep people out. The trick is to not try to make it look human. Like the Robots in the iRobot movie. Those weren't trying to look perfectly human and even the faces were inhuman enough to not trip the creepy corpse feeling.

The Japanese have a bot that looks pretty good. It's still a bit creepy, but the facial expressions and skin look right enough to fool if you are not very close. So we will eventually be able to make a bot that isn't totally zombie like.

tasha

I believe I pointed out that one of the benefits of such artificial companions on the kind of voyage described in the original post' date=' is the facilitation of uncomplicated relationships among the Human crew. This way they aren't asking[i'] one another [/i]for blowjobs.
I find this rather unlikely. Dehumanization of humans is hardly a healthy practice, and I don't imagine that the dehumanization of sexbots capable of appearing to be human for all intents and purposes would be much healthier.

Back when few actual robots existed, fictional robots were almost always depicted as being at least vaguely humanoid. However, since we have started making more of the real things form has become dictated by function, and the human form is rarely the optimal form for the functions for which we build robots. This seems unlikely to change so IMHO humanoid robots will never be as common in real life as they were in the science fiction of the 30s through the 70s.

Well...except in situations where having a human form is advantageous. Like "general purpose servant" robots. With a humanoid shape, they can move through spaces humans have designed for...humans to move through, and manipulate items designed to be manipulated by humans. If they're also intended to serve as sexual surrogates, a human form is especially useful.

I find this rather unlikely. Dehumanization of humans is hardly a healthy practice' date=' and I don't imagine that the dehumanization of sexbots capable of appearing to be human for all intents and purposes would be much healthier.[/quote']

I could ask if it's possible to dehumanize something that isn't human without having humanized it first, but I suspect that would be a futile question.

I also wonder what the Original Poster is thinking now...

Lucius Alexander

Can you dehumanize a palindromedary? Can you depalindromedarize it?

I am' date=' however, reminded of a science fiction story from the fifties (I should probably dig it out and get the title and author, the book's around here somewhere) in which humanoid robots are common, but a couple of "geniuses" realize, "Hey, robots would work much better of we actually designed their form to match their jobs!" and proceed to make a bundle and spark a revolution - once they manage to overcome everyone's attitude of "everyone knows what robots are supposed to look like, and yours don't look like that!"[/quote']

One of Asimov's later Robot stories? And the example they build is a robot bird to hunt six fruit flies released in a garden? The geniuses in that were two robots IIRC

One of Asimov's later Robot stories? And the example they build is a robot bird to hunt six fruit flies released in a garden? The geniuses in that were two robots IIRC

No, that wasn't it..

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks I should just dig out the book

I could ask if it's possible to dehumanize something that isn't human without having humanized it first' date=' but I suspect that would be a futile question.[/quote']

You have humanized your sexbot already. You've given it sexual characteristics, human appearance, conversational abilities, etc.

I could ask if it's possible to dehumanize something that isn't human without having humanized it first' date=' but I suspect that would be a futile question.[/quote']

You have humanized your sexbot already. You've given it sexual characteristics' date=' human appearance, conversational abilities, etc.[/quote']

That's true. It's not the question if you only use robots for sex. It's that you choose to just give in to this impulse, rather than working to overcome it.

The same goes for an exessive consumation of R-Rated movies: It will affect how you view and interact with women on a thousand subtle ways (at least that is what I experienced).

That's true. It's not the question if you only use robots for sex. It's that you choose to just give in to this impulse, rather than working to overcome it.

The same goes for an exessive consumation of R-Rated movies: It will affect how you view and interact with women on a thousand subtle ways (at least that is what I experienced).

Hmm.....and a suppressed sexual urge that's given no outlet, because a man chooses to "work to overcome it" rather than "just give in to this impulse" is NOT going to affect how he "views and interacts with women in a thousand subtle ways?"

Lucius Alexander

There are times I wish I were a palindromedary

Hmm.....and a suppressed sexual urge that's given no outlet' date=' because a man chooses to "work to overcome it" rather than "just give in to this impulse" is NOT going to affect how he "views and interacts with women in a thousand subtle ways?"[/quote']

Let me say so:

I work to overcome the urge to see women by her body, thus as sex objects.

You are promoting to use lobotomised, replicated female body's as sex toy.

It's just creepy if you go for the "look and feel" of a women, but don't want to go through the personality quirks and the work it entails to start a relationship, see it through and make certain it ends well.

P.S.: About the outlett: Phantasy plus one manipulatory limb are very good ways for that ;-)

So, if you get rejected by your fembot does that make you a loser......

.....what? I'm just asking.:straight:

No, it just means the fembot is studying for the Turing test

Lucius Alexander

Talking a palindromedary on a testing tour

I am, however, reminded of a science fiction story from the fifties (I should probably dig it out and get the title and author, the book's around here somewhere) in which humanoid robots are common, but a couple of "geniuses" realize, "Hey, robots would work much better of we actually designed their form to match their jobs!" and proceed to make a bundle and spark a revolution - once they manage to overcome everyone's attitude of "everyone knows what robots are supposed to look like, and yours don't look like that!"

Q.U.R. by Anthony Boucher (who I understand normally wrote mysteries.) My mistake on the dating; the anthology is from 1946 and the story is from a group dated 1937 to 1945.

I looked a long time at the box and I scratched my head. "He works doesn't he?"

"Works? What? Oh, works."

"You've been here watching him. He pushes the right lights? He gives the right instructions?"

"Oh yes. I suppose so. Yes, he works all right. But damn it man, he's not a robot anymore. You've ruined him."

The box interrupted its beam work. "Ruined, hell," it said in the same toneless voice. "I never felt so good since I was animated. Thanks, boss."

Lucius Alexander

Sure I could take the hump out - but then it wouldn't be a palindromedary anymore!

I'm thinking maybe it was Helen O'Loy. It's been a long time (25 years?) since I read that one' date=' so I'm not exactly sure....[/quote']

The point of Helen O'Loy was that she was humanlike that guys could fall in love with her. The point of the Boucher story was that it didn't make sense to make highly humanlike robots to do everything instead of specializing them for tasks.

Although frankly it seems to me that the problem with the Boucher robots went beyond having too much physical ability for their limited tasks. It would be far more important that they had too much mental ability for their tasks.

Let me say so:

I work to overcome the urge to see women by her body, thus as sex objects.

You are promoting to use lobotomised, replicated female body's as sex toy.

It's just creepy if you go for the "look and feel" of a women, but don't want to go through the personality quirks and the work it entails to start a relationship, see it through and make certain it ends well.

If we're going by the "just as an object" view, then would there be similar outcry if male model robots were used to do nothing but lift heavy objects?

---

Also, I think everyone here has glossed over one glaring problem with potential fem-bots: malfunctions.

Can you imagine a handjob when the hand doing the job has the power to bend a bar of iron? How about contact with a mouth, or, genitals, that likely has electrical circuits running nearby? Finally, if these issues, or unforseen ones come up, and the fem-bot has subdermal armor that can't be taken out with a conventional human's punches or kicks, then you're in for a world of hurt (and one you're likely not into)!

If we're going by the "just as an object" view, then would there be similar outcry if male model robots were used to do nothing but lift heavy objects?

---

Also, I think everyone here has glossed over one glaring problem with potential fem-bots: malfunctions.

Can you imagine a handjob when the hand doing the job has the power to bend a bar of iron? How about contact with a mouth, or, genitals, that likely has electrical circuits running nearby? Finally, if these issues, or unforseen ones come up, and the fem-bot has subdermal armor that can't be taken out with a conventional human's punches of kicks, then you're in for a world of hurt (and likely not one you're into)!

It's kind of peculiar that we would define something that doesn't even have vestigial genitals as "male" rather than "female".

As for the latter problem, why on earth would anyone designed a machine intended for light housekeeping and use as a sex toy with the ability to bend iron bars or shrug off automatic weapons fire? They'd probably be quite fragile and lightweight. As for electrocution, so far the possibility hasn't deterred vibrator sales.

It's kind of peculiar that we would define something that doesn't even have vestigial genitals as "male" rather than "female".

As for the latter problem, why on earth would anyone designed a machine intended for light housekeeping and use as a sex toy with the ability to bend iron bars or shrug off automatic weapons fire? They'd probably be quite fragile and lightweight. As for electrocution, so far the possibility hasn't deterred vibrator sales.

In the case of strength: some might want their fem-bots to be able to lift them, or them and another, up. It could also play into domination fantasies. There may also be the desire for a fem-bot that has greater on the side utility in addition to being able to perform it's sexual duties.

No one said anything about "automatic weapons fire". It takes a surprisingly little amount of metal (and this will presumably be futuristic metal, which likely will be more durable) to ward off a great many punches/kicks...and this may even be durability needed for structural integrity. Yes, this could still be the case even when the unit IS relatively lightweight.

I don't know how different a robot's electrical anatomy will be from what we have today, but it doesn't seem unreasonable for certain misplacements/errors to slip in... Oh, yeah, and I assume a robot is powered by more than just a Double A battery.

(By the way, I wonder who'd have an assault rifle next to their bed while they're getting their Microprocessor Freak on).

Q.U.R. by Anthony Boucher (who I understand normally wrote mysteries.) My mistake on the dating; the anthology is from 1946 and the story is from a group dated 1937 to 1945.

Ah, Boucher wrote some GOOD stuff. QUR is an amusing title, too :D