Arabic/Middle Eastern based Character

Chuckem

Re: Arabic/Middle Eastern based Character

List of Middle Eastern Superheroes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Middle_Eastern_superheroes

Middle Eastern Mythology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Eastern_mythology

Middle Eastern Folklore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Eastern_folklore_(disambiguation)

Cheers

QM

Probably male...as females are generally given second class status in ME society....though...going against the grain could lead to interesting role playing.

Might depend on which region/country the character is located in. Not to mention, Arabic/Middle Eastern doesn't necessarily mean "Muslim" automatically. The character could be of a Christian sect (like Coptic) or even atheist.

Personally I start with a name.

Gotta start with the gender before we choose a name. Otherwise we may have a boy named Sue. Besides, the name should be chosen after the powers are decided upon.

Middle East covers a lot of territory. Sticking with just Arabs, you have Lebanon, Palastine*, Egypt, Jordan, Libya, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Syria, Oman, Bahrain, Kuwait, Iraq and what did I miss?

For religions, we have Shia and Sunni Muslims, Samaritans, Jews, Coptics, other Christians, Bah'ai, and others.

I usually start with a name then powers, but sometimes reverse it. And also, did the person pick a name, or did the newspapers/government pick one for them?

Are they living in the Middle East? Are they just from there? Descended from there? (Arab-American? Arab-British? Arab-French? Arab-Other?)

Too many questions to be answered before we answer the first question!

*I know, I'm using the term to differentiate between Arabs living in Isreal and European Isrealis.

Besides' date=' the name should be chosen after the powers are decided upon.[/quote']

Not necesssarily.

Lucius Alexander

A palindromedary named Bob. (Bob was there too.)

Hmmm. you could have fun with this.

Take a hero who's powers don't have foci, but rather physical manifestations.

Flight. Flying carpet. Disappears when he's done flying.

Multipower 60 active points

4D6 Hand Killing attack no focus, but manifests as a scimitar. 60 points.

40 STR TK. Manifests as a summoned Genie.

12D6 E Bast vs PD (also the summoned genie-he punches the target)

2D6 Killing attack area of effect (a swarm of Arabian soldiers w/scimitars attack everyone in area of effect and disappear)

The hero carries a non-magical genie lamp and rubs it as if his powers comes from it. Its just to fool his enemies-it has no power.

That's a cute idea, Pizza Man.

I used to have a list of varied Arabic names since I was trying to build a couple different heroes from that time.

Personally, when it comes to building heroes, I normally start from a couple different points: power set in mind (Precog, blaster, etc), specific concept that I want to build on (Circus act, Samurai decedent), and quite rarely base it off a specific HERO name that gives me a vivid image.

La Rose.

No specific scene. Just randomly letting others guide me into a totally random character. Character will be an NPC to loan out to on-the-spot players who are new or want to play and not have a character ready. I like the flying carpet idea. I want to keep the character simple in the event new players show up.

There was a story that I read long ago called "The Lance of Kanana", in which the

central character was a Bedouin boy whose family thought to be a coward because

he wouldn't fight; whenever he was asked if he would fight, his response was that

he would not raise his lance except "for Allah and Arabia".

A modern-day superheroic version of Kanana might be similar to Gambit of the

X-Men -- able to infuse objects with a charge of energy (in this case, lances or

spears), which he then throws at his target.

Major Tom 2009 :cool:

If you're setting up a quick start character for new players, it's hard to get easier than your basic brick. Super strong, super tough, and a little on the slow side. It's easy to play and forgiving of mistakes. Tying in to the earlier material, do you remember Sinbad the Sailor cartoon from (OMG I'm old!*) the 1960's? The story was heavily Anglisized from the original, but a magic carpet, sword, and belt (giving super strength) would fit right in.

*Tranquility Base here. The Clue has landed.

I developed my version of a hero group mentioned in the first edition of Champions Universe (for 4E) called The Right Hand, who protect the Middle East; they are all supposed to be devout Muslims. I used names and motifs from the region:

The Mahdi is a figure from Arab folklore who will arise to defend Islam from internal or external threats. My version wields powerful magicks that he believes are a gift from God, and leads the team.

Hannibal is a martial artist and master of many weapons, and the team's battle commander.

Kaaba is an Arabic word for a square building, and also the site in Mecca housing the sacred Black Stone. This character is the main "brick" for the Right Hand.

Hegira refers to the flight of Mohammed from Mecca to Medina; my character is a super-speedster.

Shamshir is a curved Oriental sword from which we get the word "scimitar." The hero of that name is cybernetically enhanced with armor and attached bladed and ranged weapons.

Sahat is the Moroccan word for the hot southern desert wind which is called a "scirocco" in Italian. Sahat the hero is a flying energy projector with heat-based powers.

Sharia means "the way" or "the path," and is the name for the code of Islamic law. The heroine Sharia is a mentalist mind-controller and clairvoyant.

I was thinking of someone easy to play like a brick or a martial artist. Someone with easy action for a new person. I'm still a very inexperienced GM too so I want the char to be easy for me as well, lol.

I once put my group against a Middle eastern team. They were a simple Fantastic Four homage based on the types of Jinn (Genies). Maybe one of the names will help you.

The Jinn

Ghoul - Sand (Earth) powers

Shaitan - Smokeless Fire (Fire) powers

Ifrit - Sirocco (Air/ Wind) powers

Marid - Seven Sea (Water) powers

I once put my group against a Middle eastern team. They were a simple Fantastic Four homage based on the types of Jinn (Genies). Maybe one of the names will help you.

The Jinn

Ghoul - Sand (Earth) powers

Shaitan - Smokeless Fire (Fire) powers

Ifrit - Sirocco (Air/ Wind) powers

Marid - Ocean/ Sea (Water) powers

Isn't Shaitan an Arabic name for Satan?

Major Tom 2009 :confused:

To continue Shadow Hawk's comment about the different nations and cultures, it should be pointed out that the name Arabia goes back to the ancient greeks. In theory you could include every civilization in that area including Persia, Sumeria, Babylon, Akkadian, Hurrian, Mesopotamia, etc. Civilizations that have a rich mythology and history to use as a basis for a time-lost hero. Particularly the ancient Sumerian goddess Inanna would make a good female character. One of her myths involves sacrifice for love and returning from the dead.