Alternate Sexualities in Champions and Supers settings

phoenix240

Re: Alternate Sexualities in Champions and Supers settings

I considere that with my female brick, actually. "Yes, yes, YESSSS *crack* Honey?" is just not a very nice situation, so "Mr. Cuddly would need the resistance to survive being Mr. Cuddly."

I always wondered how superman does it. Especially since according to smallville his heat-vision is activated by not PG-13 thoughts and emotions. And don't forgett his super-breath.

I don't think it is fun for long, if you can't ever let go...

This is one of those aspects of super powers that you can choose to explore or not, though.

Many of my supers either have an "off switch" (multiform, OIAID) or adequate control of their powers that this sort of thing simply won't be an issue.

But I do have some angst ridden heroes that have intimacy issues because of their powers.

Even they can sometimes find a way to deal with it though.

For example, one of my teenage NPC's is an incredibly powerful fire elemental/pyrokinetic. He has a crush on the PC brick. Now, while he legitimately likes her, he hasn't mentioned that a small part of his attraction is that he doesn't have to worry about burning her with a kiss...

But they haven't actually gotten intimate yet due to other complications, so that potential bit of role playing hasn't actually come up in game.

We'll see how the player reacts when it inevitably does...

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of those aspects of super powers that you can choose to explore or not, though.

Many of my supers either have an "off switch" (multiform, OIAID) or adequate control of their powers that this sort of thing simply won't be an issue.

But I do have some angst ridden heroes that have intimacy issues because of their powers.

Even they can sometimes find a way to deal with it though.

For example, one of my teenage NPC's is an incredibly powerful fire elemental/pyrokinetic. He has a crush on the PC brick. Now, while he legitimately likes her, he hasn't mentioned that a small part of his attraction is that he doesn't have to worry about burning her with a kiss...

But they haven't actually gotten intimate yet due to other complications, so that potential bit of role playing hasn't actually come up in game.

I've read a couple of short stories that dealt with the issue in pretty interesting ways

"Facets of Solitude"

and

"And the sea shall cast him out" (This one is in the Superheroes Anthology, IIRC)

For example' date=' one of my teenage NPC's is an incredibly powerful fire elemental/pyrokinetic. He has a crush on the PC brick. Now, while he legitimately likes her, he hasn't mentioned that a small part of his attraction is that he doesn't have to worry about burning her with a kiss... [/quote']

Yes, a natural 20 point rED has it's advantages ;)

In germany we have a saying ,that can be translated as: "A single bird does not makes it spring."

Just because there is one current/possible/killed Girlfriend notedm, does not means they are not bisexual.

Okay, that's fine. Remember that my last question, however, was essentially, "What is the big deal with having a few more characters whose backgrounds mention having same-sex relationships, just as currently many characters' backgrounds mention having opposite-sex relationships (and some naturally don't mention any relationships)?" I'm not talking about their orientation, just about their experiences. There is no "extra effort," as it's all the same amount of effort -- you're just flipping the gender on a few DNPCs, girlfriends, etc. That's it. There is no "advantage," as everything else is the same.

Should be interesting! I think situations like these are what makes roleplaying fun (assuming players are comfortable dealing with it). It's very genre appropriate, too (e.g., Rogue & Gambit).

I look at superheroes and sexuality it this way: Wilt Chamberlain is famous for two things. One of those things is being one of the greatest basketball players of all time. The other is his claim to have slept with 12' date='000 women. Gene Simmons? Member of Kiss. Slept with 3,000 women. A good looking, popular and charismatic superhero who has even a slight interest in carousing will find plenty of willing partners, straight, gay, bi, trans, or dragonnewt. Heck, if they're popular and charismatic, they don't even have to be good looking. If carousing/promiscuity is part of a PC or NPC's lifestyle, it should at least rate a mention or reference in-game. Super-groupies would, I expect, be a real phenomenon.[/quote']

Wilt Claimed 20k by the way.

As for official...In 5e Cops' date=' Crooks, and Cabals...(title correct?) one of the Anti-Super special Mars Unit team (akin to Marvel's Code Blue) is gay and hiding it (and his boyfriend) from his team mates.[/quote']

Thanks! I didn't know that. I don't have that supplement (but almost everything else). :)

In germany we have a saying ,that can be translated as: "A single bird does not makes it spring."

Just because there is one current/possible/killed Girlfriend notedm, does not means they are not bisexual.

Everyone is bi until proven gay?

Everyone is bi until proven gay?

Everyone is pontentiall bi, unless the writeup states he is clearly hetero - regardless of current/former Girlfriends, Wifes or interests.

It is not more presumtios than to say "everyone is stright hetero, unless the writeup notes something different", wich is what everyone who reads the writeups seems to asume.

Let me think...

A villian charater I wrote up (and beleved published on the board for 5ed), Mister Wicked, is a masoganist with a bondage fetish (women in, that is), and works as a white slaver of sorts (providing people for mad scientist, DEMON and other like minded groups as sacrofice and test subjects, amoung other things). Oh, and did I mention he had a melodrama complex? Never ran him, but was fun to write him up.

Anyone mention The Lavater Fog yet? Openly gay mutant supervillian one of my old groups told me about, but never had the pleaser to encounter.

I have played gender changers. In fact, Lady Heart is one. I have also played a crossdressing charater named The Damsel (male wearing a specilised repula 1890's dress and wielding hi-tech gagets disguised as parasols and such). The Damsel was into females (much like James from Team Rocket is...but that is another story).

Everyone is pontentiall bi, unless the writeup states he is clearly hetero - regardless of current/former Girlfriends, Wifes or interests.

It is not more presumtios than to say "everyone is stright hetero, unless the writeup notes something different", wich is what everyone who reads the writeups seems to asume.

I do not find it presumptious to assume that given evidence that people are interested in the opposite sex and no evidence that people are interested in the same sex that they are heterosexual. The truth is being bi doesn't particularly matter when you never do anything about it.

I do not find it presumptious to assume that given evidence that people are interested in the opposite sex and no evidence that people are interested in the same sex that they are heterosexual. The truth is being bi doesn't particularly matter when you never do anything about it.

That what I am telling you all the time: The only reason you percieve a lack of LGB chracters, is that you asume everyone that not noted as being LGB is as straight as an arrow.

So instead of asking for more defined LGB's, just abandon your defaulting to hetero.

Dr Destroyer always struck me as potentially asexual. I recall it being mentioned more than once where some women have been interested in him romantically but know he "doesn't concern himself with such things" or similar.

Clearly you have dropped the ball. Doctor Destroyer has had a romantic relationship with a Countess for many years. (See the Original Island of Doctor Destroyer)

This has never been contradicted in ANY sourcebook. Ever.

That what I am telling you all the time: The only reason you percieve a lack of LGB chracters' date=' is that you [i']asume[/i] everyone that not noted as being LGB is as straight as an arrow.

No. Just the ones noted as having an active heterosexual history without any mention of anything else. Note incidentally, that any environment similar to modern Earth, homosexual activity beyond "I experimented in college" SHOULD be mentioned on the character sheet because it's a social handicap. A mild one to be sure in the west, but only in fantasyland is it not a problem.

Clearly you have dropped the ball. Doctor Destroyer has had a romantic relationship with a Countess for many years. (See the Original Island of Doctor Destroyer)

If by "dropped the ball" you mean "haven't read every single Champions supplement published since the game was created" then I guess so. There is no need to be insulting. We're having a friendly discussion about a comic book role playing game. I suggested a possibility given the information I have had access too. The original Island is over 20 yrs old at this point and I don't buy adventure modules anyway.

This information might not have been contradicted but a the idea "he's not interested in such things" have come up with at least two female NPCs that I can recall who had some romancit interest in Dr. Destroyer but acknowledge their desires were futile as the doctor didn't seem to have romance on his mind. Where has it been mentioned in recent material? I'd like to read it. It would give the character some more depth. Is it in Book of the Destroyer? I'm currently making way through that one. I would be interested in reading it. It would add some more depth to the character.

If by "dropped the ball" you mean "haven't read every single Champions supplement published since the game was created" then I guess so. There is no need to be insulting. We're having a friendly discussion about a comic book role playing game. I suggested a possibility given the information I have had access too. The original Island is over 20 yrs old at this point and I don't buy adventure modules anyway.

This information might not have been contradicted but a the idea "he's not interested in such things" have come up with at least two female NPCs that I can recall who had some romancit interest in Dr. Destroyer but acknowledge their desires were futile as the doctor didn't seem to have romance on his mind. .

Well by this point he's a hundred and twenty years old and probably can't even get out of his robot suit so...

Well by this point he's a hundred and twenty years old and probably can't even get out of his robot suit so...

There's pills for that nowaday. :D

Though even those that can't physically cosummate the desire can have romantic leanings. The idea that he might be an asexual is just one possibility to explain his seeming lack of interest. He may be simply hiding his inability through a feigned lack of interest. Or a number of other options.

Romatic does not has to mean sexual (even if you think different). As such asexual could still be a fitting label for him, he just enjoys the conversation and care they share for each other with no desire for offsprings.

No. Just the ones noted as having an active heterosexual history without any mention of anything else. Note incidentally' date=' that any environment similar to modern Earth, homosexual activity beyond "I experimented in college" SHOULD be mentioned on the character sheet because it's a social handicap. A mild one to be sure in the west, but only in fantasyland is it not a problem.[/quote']

We recently had the discussion about Kinetik not having a Code vs Killing in 6E anymore (he was repoted to ahve one in 5E). Among the reason was that characters don't need that many complications anymore and other stuff was simply more important. The same argument can be made for unwritten sexual orrientations.

Uhm... No. That was from a 1st or 2nd edition supplement, she was a mistress and he had her stuffed when she betrayed him (4th Edition I believe either the Champions Universe book or the Day of the Destroyer adventure mentioned it).

In the book of Destroyer (5e) no mention is made in his history or personality section on romance at all and the two lone females among his super powered minions sought to a) seduce him (didn't work) and B) thinks she loves him but knows that Destroyer doesn't do that.

Asexual sounds about right for the 91 year old madman.

That what I am telling you all the time: The only reason you percieve a lack of LGB chracters' date=' is that you [i']asume[/i] everyone that not noted as being LGB is as straight as an arrow.

So instead of asking for more defined LGB's, just abandon your defaulting to hetero.

I realize this was in response to Clonus, but it's not necessarily about having "defined LGBs" or thinking that everyone is hetero as it is having people who have (or have had) same-sex relationships in their backgrounds. I don't care what you assume about the characters given that information.

Considering most characters presented are villains' date=' the extent of concern over their personal lifestyle really only raises the question of how much they'll enjoy being incarcerated.[/quote']

Or perhaps how much you enjoy it to seduce enemies in the middle of a battle...