Alternate Sexualities in Champions and Supers settings

phoenix240

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Alternate Sexualities in Champions and Supers settings

Middle of battle is a bad time to do something that takes a serious amount of time and one-on-one contact.

Well, there are "Sexy" Presence attacks and you can augment them with a succesfull Seduction Roll. But for this to work, you need to know what preference your target has.

Well' date=' there are "Sexy" Presence attacks and you can augment them with a succesfull Seduction Roll. But for this to work, you need to know what preference your target has.[/quote']

And if you're sexy enough, it doesn't matter what their preference is. :eg:

No. Just the ones noted as having an active heterosexual history without any mention of anything else. Note incidentally' date=' that any environment similar to modern Earth, homosexual activity beyond "I experimented in college" SHOULD be mentioned on the character sheet because it's a social handicap. A mild one to be sure in the west, but only in fantasyland is it not a problem.[/quote']

Actually, I would argue that it should only be mentioned (as a Disadvantage or Complication, anyway) if it was a story hook that the player wanted used.

Actually' date=' I would argue that it should only be mentioned (as a Disadvantage or Complication, anyway) if it was a story hook that the player wanted used.[/quote']

That depends on the game, Rod. If you're running in the pulp 30's, this is a bigger problem than it is now.

If you're running in "Team Vatican", this is worth 25 points, maybe more.

Actually' date=' I would argue that it should only be mentioned (as a Disadvantage or Complication, anyway) if it was a story hook that the player wanted used.[/quote']

My postion exaclty.

That depends on the game, Rod. If you're running in the pulp 30's, this is a bigger problem than it is now.

If you're running in "Team Vatican", this is worth 25 points, maybe more.

Well, we talked about canonical superhumans for the Champions Universe. I think an Irconclad(Alien) and Witchraft (well, Witch) would be very differently in the time of the Witch-hunts....

And I still think it could not be a complication, even if someone was gay in 1699, while serving teh Vatican. He just somehow made arangements that prevent them from detecting his orientation or it is accepted by the higher ups.

I think things are becoming a little hung up on the Complication angle. It doesn't matter if its mentioned on the character sheet or not but that if it would be a good idea if there were more openly and widely acknowledged gay, lesbian and bisexual characters in the Champion's universe. Since we're discussing NPCs what the "player" wants is kind of a non issue.

But since we're talking about a game setting' date=' in which what the players and GM wants is the issue, what does it matter since they can adjust anything that they don't agree with?[/quote']

To create a more inclusive atmosphere and make gay or lesbian potenetial customers feel welcome and like their orientation and lifestyle isn't being discriminated against or ignored. Just saying "You can put in more homosexual characters if you want" isn't really the same as including them. I know I'd feel put off if the setting had almost no black characters or women even if I could make some of them if I wanted. The NPCs presented in the Champions universe have included incestuous family members, rapists, serial killers and cannabials. I don't think including some more homosexuals will offend anyone so much as to drive off customers and may bring in some or make some current fans feel more comfortable and considered.

Or to turn the question around: What would it harm to include more? If someone doesn't use romantic, relationship or sexuality in their games they can continue not to do so but some folks might be find it a welcome change.

This is a non-issue in my campaign because my players are between 10 and 15 years old and have never expressed the slightest interest in exploring any sort of romantic relationships with their characters. And to be brutally honest, I'm glad for it. Not because of any homophobia, but because I'm their dad and it would be awkward.

It's still a non-issue. The only thing Champions needs to cater to are people that want to play in a RPG that simulates the superhero genre.

It's catering to homosexuals to mention them somewhat more often? There are many minority fans of the superheroic genre that feel ignored and dismissed both by comics and the rpgs based on them. The near abscence of a certain type of character is only a non-issue if it doesn't effect you and, frankly, white males very rarely have to experience feeling excluded or forgotten about. One of my closest friends, who's been gaming longer than I have mentioned how he felt early on when you rarely if every saw a black character in rpgs (except as generic "natives" in Not Africa) and they were few and far between in other genres. It probably wasn't racism just thoughtlessness but it did have an impact. It even turned off somer of his friends when he tried to get them into rpgs.

The situation has gotten better for blacks, women and other groupps over the years so what not GLBT comic book fans I haven't said (and I don't think anyone else either) that it's a "need" but that it would be thoughtful and make some fans feel more considered. I think it might even increase sales to some degree. I honestly don't get what the objection is based on. What harm could it do? Comics include gay and lesbian characters so its not going to threaten genre emulation (at least no more than totally ignoring romance and relationships which allot of groups do). What's the downside to "cater" to alternate lifestyles by mentioning them a little more often?

If relationships and sexuality where non issues in your campaign before they're not suddenly going to become an issue because of a few more NPCs. It's not a huge blow for civil rights or anything nor is it a "need" but I think it would be a considerate and decent thing to make an effort towards. More minorties and diversity over all would be nice too bt I think the Champions U is pretty good about having good about that overall.