Steam punk genre

Re: Steam punk genre

My son whats to know what hero universe and point value would you use for a steam punk character

Victorian Hero isn't out yet (scheduled for GenCon 2012), so you'll have to build everything from scratch. I expect most characters would be either Standard or Powerful Heroes, but cases could be made for either less or more.

That's how it's described by the author' date=' and he [i']ought [/i]to know. :sneaky:

But can we be sure?

The best lack all conviction, while the worst

Are full of passionate intensity

Lucius Alexander

And what rough palindromedary, its hour come round at last, gets all steamed up?

My son whats to know what hero universe and point value would you use for a steam punk character

Using the Hero System system you could run campaigns of any powerlevel. From heroic level games that are regular people with special skills and knowledge (ie 175pts in 6e), to Superheroic games like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (400 pts in 6e). The Steampunk genre has a wide variety of subgenres that are also easy to explore in Hero system. ie Castle Falkenstein (a Steampunk game by R.Talsorian Games) is Steampunk with Magic and Faeries, basically Steampunk Fantasy.

The Champions 6E Genre book implies that "Victorian Hero" setting could have Steampunk elements. (Nemo and the The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen is listed here).

In fact it even says that a "Steampunk Gadgeteer" wold be fitting for a superhero campaign set in that area.

The Wild, Wild West TV show was certainly Steampunk, at a heroic level. The later TV movies were pushing that a bit (Loveless Jr.'s "$600 people" played by Shields and Yarnell). And of course the Will Smith movie went totally over the top with robo-spider and flight.

Yeah, Steampunk could be standard heroic characters with free equipment, or it could be victorian-flavored super heroes (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen style) at the high end of starting points.

I'm running a Steampunk-ish Fantasy Hero campaign right now with 200 point characters and it is proving to be a lot of fun.

The Widening Gyre sounds pretty steampunk from what I've read

Edit: Scratch that it is steampunk

Thanks for the shout-out. Yes, The Widening Gyre is not just a fully fleshed-out steampunk setting, it's also a sourcebook filled with all sorts of steampunk goodness and hints/tips for creating and running a steampunk game. And it should be available at Gencon! (and afterwards, on the Hero and Blackwyrm websites). :)

Steampunk is a style, not a genre. Figure out what kind of game you want it to be, and apply a layer of clockwork, brass, and steam engines to it. It can be anything from heroic through high powered superheroic, depending on what, exactly, you want the world to be like and the characters to be capable of.

• 11 years later...

There is no right answer, it depends on your game and your group.

You can play Steampunk as 'slightly above average normals' with special equipment or as fully fledged superheroes, depending on what you want. 

What I'd do is reverse engineer it.  Think up a character concept, build the character work out how much it costs, round to the nearest 50 or 25 and give everyone the same points.

It also depends on what threats you want them to face.  If they are going to be facing a cunning criminal gang robbing a bank using a clockwork mole, I'd probably go for 50 or 100 points plus free equipment, whereas if I wanted them to face the menace of the city-smashing Steam Titan I'd probably make them steampunk themed superheroes and give them 400 points.

3 hours ago, Sean Waters said:

There is no right answer, it depends on your game and your group.

You can play Steampunk as 'slightly above average normals' with special equipment or as fully fledged superheroes, depending on what you want. 

What I'd do is reverse engineer it.  Think up a character concept, build the character work out how much it costs, round to the nearest 50 or 25 and give everyone the same points.

It also depends on what threats you want them to face.  If they are going to be facing a cunning criminal gang robbing a bank using a clockwork mole, I'd probably go for 50 or 100 points plus free equipment, whereas if I wanted them to face the menace of the city-smashing Steam Titan I'd probably make them steampunk themed superheroes and give them 400 points.

Nice to see you Sean but I reckon, in the past 11 years, the OP has probably made their decisions.  😁

Welcome back, Sean!  Always a pleasure, Sir.

And as someone notes above: steampunk, dieselpunk, and several other punks are more style than genre.  You can do rollicking Victorian Adventures and dark continent exploration; you can do thirties and forties two-fisted pulse-pounding pulp adventures; you can battle pirates on the Mars-Io run....

Steampunk is a flavor: how does your tech work; what is your society like; does the elevated control platform for your death ray have safety rails?

Flavor.  Works in any genre.