Famous Martial Artists in the Champions Universe?

Cripple X

I'm playing in a Teen Champions game set in the Champions Universe. My character has a fascination with Martial Arts/Kung Fu/Wuxia movies despite the fact that he doesn't know any martial arts himself. I figured that rather than make movies with actors like Jet Li, Jackie Chan, etc. like in real life, movies in the CU would probably feature martial artists trained to a Metahuman-level or even full on super-powered Martial Artists. I'm not too familiar with the Champions Universe, however, so I have to ask--who are some famous martial artists (preferably heroes if there are any) that might feature in these sorts of films or else be popular enough to serve as a hero or idol to someone like my character?

Re: Famous Martial Artists in the Champions Universe?

Seeker Was trapped on a Force Field Encapsulated Desert Island Trap set by *Insert villain here* during the 4th Ed Crisis on Infinite Game Companies. This of course resulted in him being eaten by a Starving Jaguar who had already hunted down and eaten the rest of the team.

Hence not a good role model, and neither is the 5th Ed Replacement for him with the Duck Cowl and Metallic Man'siere .....

~Rex

Nightwind if he's still around.

Nightwind was my first thought' date=' too. Also the guy with the words, Shugoshin? Was that his name?[/quote']

Nightwind is still around. He's based in Millennium City, and is as of current continuity a reserve member of the Champions, so would certainly have a high enough profile to be publically known. He's also one of the few remaining martial artists with training in the "super" martial arts techniques from Yengtao Temple.

Shugoshin is also still around, based in San Francisco. He carries the twin mystically-powered Seishinken, or "spirit swords." There's also the costumed hero Redsnake of Vibora Bay, premier practitioner of the city's unique MA style, Vibora Carmesi. Nighthawk, former Champion, is also a highly-skilled martial artist, although he's as much a gadget-wielder.

Lots of other heroes have had MA training, but that's not their primary ability. There are also a number of other martial artist heroes in America and around the world, but few of those have received write-ups in Hero Games books yet.

Hmmm ...Did we ever get to see a 6e version of Nightwind? FreD he was a beast. The other would be Shugoshin. Some Hero books for the HERO 6e woulda been nice.... Ah Well.

~Rex

No 6E version yet, although there's a nice illo of him facing off against Green Dragon on p. 63 of Champions Universe 6E.

Seeker is probably still a fictional character.

I've considered creating a "real person who served as inspiration for his creation" for him. More Steve Irwin than a ninja, though.

Nightwind and Shugoshin are the obvious choices.

Spirit Fist from CV3 is a good martial arts idol. Most of the cast of the 4th Ed. "Watchers of the Dragon" remain in 6th Ed. Continuity; most of the villains were statted in the 6th Ed CV books. The Tiger Squad's Luan from Watchers makes a good role model; the Tiger Squad in 6th Ed retains an unstatted martial artist member called "Phoenix" who is almost certainly the same character (A Luan is a mythical Chinese bird similar to a western Phoenix).

Although Seeker has never made an appearance in 6th Ed he could easily be explained in continuity as having won the Tournament and retiring from the public eye to join the Watchers.

Although Seeker has never made an appearance in 6th Ed he could easily be explained in continuity as having won the Tournament and retiring from the public eye to join the Watchers.

Which would mean (A) there won't be another Tournament for 60 years, which takes it out of the running for PCs to participate in, (B) Australia will become the dominant nation on Earth for the next six decades. ;)

Which would mean (A) there won't be another Tournament for 60 years' date=' which takes it out of the running for PCs to participate in, (B) Australia will become the dominant nation on Earth for the next six decades. ;)[/quote']

Don't really see either of those as a problem, but neither would be a factor if some nefarious force broke the ancient magicks binding the Death Dragon, unleashing it upon an unsuspecting world. Who will save us now?

She never was a CU character. MM was one of several example characters Mike Surbrook included in his 5E book Ninja HERO, meant to illustrate the types of martial artists one could find in particular genres and styles of campaign. As Mike put it, "Midnite Maid is a Video Game character adapted for use in a superhero campaign." (NH p. 134) None of the NH example characters were ever considered official for any era of the Hero Universe.

Midnight Maid isn't an official CU character' date=' but is definitely a cheekily cool concept. :cool:[/quote']

Maybe she's a popular comic, TV, or movie character in the OP's universe?

She never was a CU character. MM was one of several example characters Mike Surbrook included in his 5E book Ninja HERO' date=' meant to illustrate the types of martial artists one could find in particular genres and styles of campaign. As Mike put it, "Midnite Maid is a Video Game character adapted for use in a superhero campaign." (NH p. 134) None of the NH example characters were ever considered official for any era of the Hero Universe.[/quote']

As a side note, I've been given the green light to develop a book of martial artists (for all genres and power levels) and it will include all of my NH characters updated for 6E. However, said book is after Things and Mythic America. More as the progress and due date become relevant.