CHAMPIONS LIVE ACTION Kickstarter from Darren and Silverback Press!

Darren Watts

Hey all! I'm pleased as punch to announce that my very first Kickstarter project, Champions Live Action, is up and running! Woot!

It's a brand new rules set, derived from the Hero System we all know and love but modified for speed and ease of use away from the table. Instead of using dice it uses a "Power Check Device", our fancy name for a stopwatch or any other gadget that can keep time to the hundredths of a second. Turning it on and off rapidly results in a basically random number for the hundredths digit, which is added to a combat value and compared to that of an opponent. It's amazingly fast and easy in use- I've seen it handle combats involving dozens of players simultaneously in only a few minutes. It was originally designed by the talented kids at Echoes of Empires: David Christoph, Ben Walker, Jocelyn Fulljames and Steve Tasker.

There's only a small amount of new setting material inside- mostly it's new versions of the tried and true sample heroes and villains of the Champs Universe and a basic guide to the high points of the setting, like Millennium City. If it's a hit, we hope to put out both supplemental adventure books for Champions as well as additional genre books using the Powercheck rules set, for fantasy, horror, pulp, or sci-fi as LARPs as well.

With any luck, this title will introduce both a bunch of new LARP players to the world of Champions, and conversely some tabletop players to the wide world of LARP as well. Those of you who've been asking for an alternative form of introducing new players to Hero might want to check this out as well- we think the simplified rules we're using here, while obviously nowhere near as complete and all-encompassing as the real Hero System, will hopefully make a nice introduction to the basic concepts.

The rules are complete, and the actual manuscript partly so already. We're asking for pledges totaling $9,000, which will cover hiring our own Ebil Bunneh Man to handle the layout, several of our Heroic stable of awesome artists to add some new illustrations, and then printing and shipping the actual books. At the $10 level we'll thank you in the book and on site as a contributor; at $20 you get a PDF of the book; at $45 you get the book, PDF and a Powercheck stopwatch of your very own! In addition, for $200 we'll put a character you can name and (briefly!) describe in the book as an example build (only 5 of these available), and hey, for $2500 the design team will come out to your location and put on a game for you. Whatta bahgain!

Any questions? Put 'em here and I'll do my best to answer! Thanks again for your support, gang! dw

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1832603818/champions-live-action

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CHAMPIONS LIVE ACTION Kickstarter from Darren and Silverback Press!

It's a brand new rules set' date=' derived from the Hero System we all know and love but modified for speed and ease of use away from the table. Instead of using dice it uses a "Power Check Device", our fancy name for a stopwatch or any other gadget that can keep time to the hundredths of a second. Turning it on and off rapidly results in a basically random number for the hundredths digit, which is added to a combat value and compared to that of an opponent. It's amazingly fast and easy in use- I've seen it handle combats involving dozens of players simultaneously in only a few minutes. It was originally designed by the talented kids at Echoes of Empires: David Christoph, Ben Walker, Jocelyn Fulljames and Steve Tasker.[/quote']

That is a very clever innovation! I wonder if it could be applied to the tabletop game to speed up combat?

I have no interest at all in LARPing, but for such initiative and inventiveness I had to make a pledge. :thumbup:

I see the estimated delivery is scheduled for August. Is the plan to have it ready for GenCon? If so' date=' will you have someone running some games at GenCon to help build interest?[/quote']

Yes, and alas, probably not. Running a LARP is quite a bit more labor-intensive than an RPG, especially at a con, and requires considerably more crew than I can afford to bring across the country. (I'll be at Gencon myself, but only because I'll be working for another company, so at least I can hang out in the Hero booth for a while and show people the game and why it's cool.) We *will* be running a couple of demo LARPs at Dexcon and a few other places this year that aren't quite so spendy. If it takes off, maybe next year! dw

Good luck Darren. I have no interest in LARP but I will pledge for a book anyway. There is often two levels of S&H cost, Canada & Mexico and International. In this case there is only a rate for international so how much is it for Canada, 0$ or 25$?

And this thread should be a sticky.

Thanks Dread! I understand that the $25 is everywhere outside the US, and includes sufficient packaging to pretty much guarantee undamaged arrival. And I'm not an admin on the site any more, so I can't stickify things myself any more. Can any admin-types reading this do a guy a solid? dw

Well, we've hit the "magic" 30% with 27 days left so it's looking pretty good so far. With all of the $200 spots filled already I guess we'll just have to wait and see if we encounter the usual slow down of pledges mid-project.

Just noticed this project. I'm not into LARP but I'll kick in a few bucks for wacky fun. It's cool that you have a bunch of folks who have been helping with this already, looks like a great krew.

Guest dan2448

I gave fifty. I don't need this product and won't be getting a copy' date=' but I support all Hero System stuff.[/quote']

A very generous gesture of support. But for $45 you'd apparently be entitled to receive not only a hard copy of the book and a stopwatch, but also a PDF. I'm sure it's unintended, but it seems almost dismissive of the creative effort to decline even to be sent the PDF...

Instead of using dice it uses a "Power Check Device"' date=' our fancy name for a stopwatch or any other gadget that can keep time to the hundredths of a second. Turning it on and off rapidly results in a basically random number for the hundredths digit, which is added to a combat value and compared to that of an opponent. It's amazingly fast and easy in use- I've seen it handle combats involving dozens of players simultaneously in only a few minutes. It was originally designed by the talented kids at Echoes of Empires: David Christoph, Ben Walker, Jocelyn Fulljames and Steve Tasker.[/quote']

That is a very clever innovation! I wonder if it could be applied to the tabletop game to speed up combat?

I have no interest at all in LARPing, but for such initiative and inventiveness I had to make a pledge. :thumbup:

Sorry I somehow missed this earlier.

What LL said, normally I would have little interest in LARP, but I pledged enough to get the PDF to check out what looks to be innovative game mechanics that may be adaptable outside LARP.

A very generous gesture of support. But for $45 you'd apparently be entitled to receive not only a hard copy of the book and a stopwatch' date=' but also a PDF. I'm sure it's unintended, but it seems almost dismissive of the creative effort to decline even to be sent the PDF...[/quote']Gift horses mouth, don't look in it. You do realize there are numerous board members who don't use PDFs at all, don't you?

Guest dan2448

You do realize there are numerous board members who don't use PDFs at all' date=' don't you?[/quote']

Sure. I'm one of them myself.

But I think that's tangential to the point. It's very generous to pledge $50 at all, I think. (Even when receiving the hard copy and stop watch.) I say that in part because $50 is above the $45 price for that tier. And it's even more generous to make that pledge and not even ask the publisher to send you the hard copy products, thereby saving them time and money. But receiving the PDF would be more-or-less free. By declining to receive that, you are not saving the publisher much of anything. So that's not an act of generosity.