CHAMPIONS LIVE ACTION Kickstarter from Darren and Silverback Press!

Darren Watts

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CHAMPIONS LIVE ACTION Kickstarter from Darren and Silverback Press!

It's a fine idea. I fear the price difference between signed and unsigned copies may be too much for folks.

Alas, since the people involved are all in different states, doing the signed copies involves several more shipments. Let me see if there's a way I can lower that category a bit... dw

Gave a quick look after exercise today, and it's up to 99 backers and over $5,000. There may be an effect now of people starting to "pile on" as the goal gets nearer and nearer. Go go gadget Champions LARP!

Found on another website:

Just above this news you might notice that there's a change to the center-page ad slot. In response to their raising almost $3M through Kickstarter, Brian Fargo of inXile entertainment began a project adjacent to Kickstarter called "Kicking it Forward", to encourage those who have had successful projects to pledge 5% of the eventual profits of whatever they funded to other Kickstarter projects.

This might be something to look into to get Champions LARP over the top...

http://kickingitforward.org/

OK' date=' y'all. Less than $1000 to go. We can do this! It's up to you![/quote']

My first reaction when reading this was that somebody (or -bodies) must have gone in on the $2,500 option and that proves to be the case. Indeed, if I've read the Kickstarter right, someone upgraded a prior pledge.

In for $20. Wish it could have been more.

The negative attitude towards LARPing displayed in some of these posts bothers me a bit--it's like some people think the only way to role-play is to hunch over a table, declare actions and roll dice, and if you're doing something other than that--then that ain't playin'.

It's like these people forget--LARPing is the first role-playing many of us first experience. Whether it's Cowboys and Indians, or Pirates, or Spacemen flying to the Moon--it's all LARPing, even if we didn't call it that.

Here's an example of some LARPers--

And these guys are LARPers too--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kIienFpPzk&feature=youtu.be

And many players didn't even have the toys. They'd tie a towel around their necks, and/or pick up a cardboard tube for a sword or a stick for a magic wand. And again, we may not have called it LARPing, but that's what it was. Would the movie Role Models have been as good if it had been about table-top RPGing instead of LARPing? I don't think so.

Miniature wargaming may be regarded as the "official" beginnings of RPGs, but they owe as much to the guys who played Cowboys and Indians and other such games--the original LARPers--as they do to anything else. It would do us well to remember that.

I have nothing at all against LARP or its proponents. It just doesn't interest me.

+1

Am supporting this project for reasons already given, but I just don't "get" LARP. Don't "get" pro sports either. Don't have anything against those who do enjoy them.