Take a Teammate to a Movie

Pariah

Amethyst (her chosen code name) is a young woman who has spent her entire life as a member of a secret society that trains its members in the use of magic. She has been trained from birth to be a weapon against the return of an ancient evil to the Earth. For the past several weeks, you and several other heroes (your teammates, if your hero is part of a regular team) have been working with Amethyst and the secret society to prepare for, and repel, the coming extradimensional invasion.

In addition to her mystical education, Amethyst has been taught world history, geography, politics, strategy, tactics, and psychology. Her personal life, however, has been practically nonexistent. Her studies have consumed practically every waking moment for as long as she can remember. Her few opportunities for rest and relaxation have all been spent either in quiet solitude or with other members of her order. She has left the society's properties only a handful of times, and then only for society business. She has never played a video game, never used Facebook/MySpace/Twitter, never eaten fast food, never listened to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. She's never seen a movie, either in a theater or on VHS/DVD.

Due to the celestial geometries involved, the invasion is most likely to begin sometime tomorrow morning. Amethyst has told you privately that while she expects the combined might of the heroes and her society to defeat the invaders, she's had a premonition that she is unlikely to survive the coming day. So she has decided to take the time to see one movie tonight, before the big battle begins - and she has asked you to decide which movie that should be.

Which movie does your character choose, and why?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Take a Teammate to a Movie

Casablanca. Is there really any other choice?

All characters: What he said. Especially given the parallels between her and Laszio.

If there is time for a double feature, Dolphin or Iron Will would follow up with Kung Fu Panda.

I am not that good in my Movie knowledge (I could not identify most films I watched when hearing thier name) and I don't really understand female thought processes that well. But all my heroines would propably have brought up the idea - can't really fight for humanity if you don't know jack about it.

Super Model would pick Věra Chytilová's Sedmikrásky, a surreal feminist film from the Czech New Wave. No doubt shown on a wall-sized home entertainment center with surround sound.

Kurzhaan the Conqueror is unfamiliar with modern culture and entertainment himself, so he'd just suggest going out to a local cinema to see whatever the people there seem enthusiastic about and enjoy the social aspect. He wouldn't see the choice of movie as all that important, as his plan would involve showing Amethyst the night of her life after the movie. (Cue bowmp-chicka-wow-wow music.)

Earth Girl would pick something with parallels to Amethyst's situation that would be inspirational and fun, like maybe Mulan.

Young Scratch would tell her where he comes from the only movies one can see are Battlefield Earth, the films of Ed Wood, and Nicholas Cage movies. So he'd suggest going out on the town and enjoying herself rather than wasting time sitting and watching a movie.

If it were me I'd chose either the original Star Wars or Monty Pyton and the Holy Grail, just because they are my favorites

Volt would chose Casablanca.

Olorin would chose The Wizard of Oz, because he thinks it's a hoot.

Black Tiger - not sure, but leaning toward Gone with the Wind

Leadman - not sure. Leaning toward Death of a Salesman

Futurian - Lowe Treach: The Last Adventure - then go blank as he realizes the movie has not been made yet. "Man, it's perfect for this situation. Bummer it's not yet made."

Wow, I love the responses here. A comment or two, if I might indulge:

Casablanca. Is there really any other choice?

Honestly, that's the first one I that came to my mind as well. It's a classic story, and the wartime setting makes it entirely fitting.

If there is time for a double feature' date=' Dolphin or Iron Will would follow up with [i']Kung Fu Panda[/i].

I think that Amethyst would be a little confused by this initially, but ultimately find it enjoyable and worthwhile.

Aliens. Strong female lead taking names and kicking ass.

She probably should have seen this one years ago....

How about the 5th Element?

Main Character is in a similar Situation:

Created to save humanity, not knowing anything about it, nice music (even an orchestra) and Love is the thing that saves the world.

That is just brilliant. I had not even considered that one, but it totally fits.

Super Model would pick Věra Chytilová's Sedmikrásky' date=' a surreal feminist film from the Czech New Wave. No doubt shown on a wall-sized home entertainment center with surround sound.[/quote']

Hmm, not at all familiar with this one myself. I may have to do a little research (after midterms are done).

Kurzhaan the Conqueror is unfamiliar with modern culture and entertainment himself' date=' so he'd just suggest going out to a local cinema to see whatever the people there seem enthusiastic about and enjoy the social aspect. He wouldn't see the choice of movie as all that important, as his plan would involve showing Amethyst the night of her life [i']after[/i] the movie. (Cue bowmp-chicka-wow-wow music.)

Um, she's never even been kissed in all likelihood. The bowmp-chicka-wow-wow music may be a little more than she's ready for. ;)

Earth Girl would pick something with parallels to Amethyst's situation that would be inspirational and fun' date=' like maybe [i']Mulan[/i].

That's another great choice. Amethyst might pick nits about the historical accuracy, but I think she'd probably find it a good story. And hey, it has Donny Osmond's Amazing Technicolor VoiceTM!

But all my heroines would probably have brought up the idea - can't really fight for humanity if you don't know jack about it.

Excellent point. She might fight differently if she has a reason other than "It's what I'm destined to do".

If it were me I'd chose either the original Star Wars....

A simple, straightforward good-versus-evil story with metaphysical overtones. That's a winner.

*I* would choose The Princess Bride.

INCONCEIVABLE! No, seriously, that's a great choice, too. (And my favorite movie, personally.)

What else ya got, folks?

Super Model would pick Věra Chytilová's Sedmikrásky, a surreal feminist film from the Czech New Wave. No doubt shown on a wall-sized home entertainment center with surround sound.

Kurzhaan the Conqueror is unfamiliar with modern culture and entertainment himself, so he'd just suggest going out to a local cinema to see whatever the people there seem enthusiastic about and enjoy the social aspect. He wouldn't see the choice of movie as all that important, as his plan would involve showing Amethyst the night of her life after the movie. (Cue bowmp-chicka-wow-wow music.)

Earth Girl would pick something with parallels to Amethyst's situation that would be inspirational and fun, like maybe Mulan.

Young Scratch would tell her where he comes from the only movies one can see are Battlefield Earth, the films of Ed Wood, and Nicholas Cage movies. So he'd suggest going out on the town and enjoying herself rather than wasting time sitting and watching a movie.

Soooo...I take it that, based on the limited movie selection that's listed for Young Scratch's

"hometown", that the climate where he comes from is decidedly warm all-year-round?

Major Tom 2009 :sneaky:

Given the circumstances, and my own proclivities (Mirrored pretty closely by my main PC, Blackjack, who has spent a lot of time teaching and training another teen hero from similar social circumstances), I'd go for either The Thirteenth Warrior or Equilibrium, depending on how the mood was running.

Tho, yeah.. Princess Bride is another excellent option. Ooooh... or possibly Lilo and Stitch

Man, this is hard..

Tranformers: The Animated Movie.....best movie in the history of forever. (hey, I had to wait 25 years to watch it a 2nd time)

Ok, for Badger? Dont know, for sure. He isnt exactly a movie goer, himself (not to mention complete lack of social life). He'd probably rather talk about those subject (world history, geography, strategy, tactics, NOT politics though, no interest) to glean any information he can for future use.

Frosty Bob? Doesnt matter, the idiot will put the moves on Amethyst. He never learns. :no:

Casablanca, Kung Fu Panda, a tasteful kiss, and if she responds, telling her that I (my character) loves her.

That way, if she dies, everything is good, and if she doesn't, bow-chikka-wow-wow. (Naturally my character will survive. Anything else would be inconceivable!)

Soooo...I take it that, based on the limited movie selection that's listed for Young Scratch's

"hometown", that the climate where he comes from is decidedly warm all-year-round?

Nope, in the lowest circle everyone's frozen into ice to varying degrees. Makes for a captive audience when they project The Wicker Man remake or Glen or Glenda on the glacier faces. [ATTACH=CONFIG]42843[/ATTACH]

Frosty Bob? Doesnt matter' date=' the idiot will put the moves on Amethyst. He never learns. :no:[/quote']

Something you should know, Frosty Bob: She can kill you with her brain. :)

Said teammate could always invite Amethyst to a home showing of the Matrix trilogy --

with some of the stuff that Neo was pulling in those films, Amethyst just might find

some ways to do the same kind of things to the XD invaders using her powers (ways

that she might not have otherwise thought of).

Major Tom 2009 :sneaky:

Said teammate could always invite Amethyst to a home showing of the Matrix trilogy --

with some of the stuff that Neo was pulling in those films, Amethyst just might find

some ways to do the same kind of things to the XD invaders using her powers (ways

that she might not have otherwise thought of).

I like this idea. I like it a lot.

Nope' date=' in the lowest circle everyone's frozen into ice to varying degrees. Makes for a captive audience when they project [i']The Wicker Man[/i] remake or Glen or Glenda on the glacier faces. [ATTACH=CONFIG]42843[/ATTACH]

What no Waterworld?

Something you should know' date=' Frosty Bob: She can kill you with her brain. :)[/quote']

Frosty Bob: Makes it exciting.

I should mention Bob is semi-immortal* (as in he doesnt age, and can regenerate, technically he could be killed but it'd take a lot :doi:)

Note: And it isnt like Bob hasnt suffered "The ANgry Female Strike" from a powerful female before, he calls that Friday night. :doi: (yes, teammates have facepalm a lot watching Bob's misadventures)