Take a Teammate to a Movie

Pariah

Re: Take a Teammate to a Movie

That last part sounded like a premonition she had rather than her being set up as a sacrifice by her trainers. Though they may not be unhappy with the outcome for all we actually know.

Don't say that they do the willingly or through negligence cause her death. Just that any idea could help.

An aditional thing is that most of my characters would say is "to hell with fate". They all believe that one being can change the world (mostly they are here to do exaclty that). And that any such unspecific predictions only come true if you actually try to prevent them - that is what Return of the Sith thaught me, so maybe that would be a good choice too (or any other film about sulf-fullfilling, unspecifc prophecies).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An aditional thing is that most of my characters would say is "to hell with fate". They all believe that one being can change the world (mostly they are here to do exaclty that). And that any such unspecific predictions only come true if you actually try to prevent them - that is what Return of the Sith thaught me, so maybe that would be a good choice too (or any other film about sulf-fullfilling, unspecifc prophecies).

Yeah, Blackjack tends to subscribe to the "To hell with fate" approach as well, which was why I immediately thought of 13th Warrior and Equilibrium. Both have strong "why we fight" messages

Which movie does your character choose' date=' and why?[/quote']

Is it a date, date or are we just going to watch a movie as friends?

Because while I really love the 5th Element and the Princess Bride, they are both all about true love prevailing over the forces of evil.

That could be an awkward message to send to a friend that I am about to go face down death with...

Yes, it's a bit creepy, but the romantic subplot theme is very strong in movies and what have you.

What is interesting is the number of socially dysfunctional characters people are playing, which is what leads to the less tasteful suggestions. The "adult" movie suggestion was by far the worst in that regard, but hopefully that's the character, not the player.

My characters tend towards the morally super-upright types, except for the specific case of Nastyman, the punk super-"hero/villain" with a bad attitude, but he is irrelevant to this situation. Most of them tend to start with romantic interest DNPCs, and wouldn't be involved, but those who aren't would, indeed, be likely to get involved in the less creepy versions of the romantic subplot.

And yes, they would be in love with her, not being opportunists.

PS: The old "Bwah ha ha" Justice League had a story where Ice went on a date with Guy Gardner. I could imagine something like that happening here. Kind of sad in this context. She wouldn't die in that situation, though - not all mixtures of tragedy and comedy work.

I will admit, it's a bit creepy the number of posters who are adding "and my character would try to score with her!"

Eh, part of roleplaying the particular character of mine that was true for is trying to score with everyone. If there's a lull in the fighting he'll hit on the invading extradimensional forces too.

I will admit' date=' it's a bit creepy the number of posters who are adding "and my character would try to score with her!"[/quote']Yes it is, but it would be in character in the character I'm talking about. A 500 year old mage is one thing, but a teenager in his prime would be fitting (though not appropriate).

PS: The old "Bwah ha ha" Justice League had a story where Ice went on a date with Guy Gardner.

That developed into an odd but charming relationship.

I could imagine something like that happening here. Kind of sad in this context. She wouldn't die in that situation' date=' though - not all mixtures of tragedy and comedy work.[/quote']

As perhaps DC discovered after Ice was killed off.

Eh' date=' part of roleplaying the particular character of mine that was true for is trying to score with [i']everyone[/i]. If there's a lull in the fighting he'll hit on the invading extradimensional forces too.

Ditto, for the one of mine in question.

Yes, it's a bit creepy, but the romantic subplot theme is very strong in movies and what have you.

What is interesting is the number of socially dysfunctional characters people are playing, which is what leads to the less tasteful suggestions. The "adult" movie suggestion was by far the worst in that regard, but hopefully that's the character, not the player.

My characters tend towards the morally super-upright types, except for the specific case of Nastyman, the punk super-"hero/villain" with a bad attitude, but he is irrelevant to this situation. Most of them tend to start with romantic interest DNPCs, and wouldn't be involved, but those who aren't would, indeed, be likely to get involved in the less creepy versions of the romantic subplot.

And yes, they would be in love with her, not being opportunists.

Have to agree on the creepy bit. I have far too much respect for women to ever play someone leecherous.

A notorious Flirter is okay and especially my female character tend towards that. And omni-sexuality (it's the personality that maters).

Maybe. Maybe not. But he'll try until she says no.

That'd last only as long as it took for Amethyst to somehow get a hold of Vitus* and ask him

for his DS spell.

Under any circumstance, that would count as a most emphatic "no".

*From Drhoz's "Kingdom City" and CoC campaigns.

Major Tom 2009 :eg:

Have to agree on the creepy bit. I have far too much respect for women to ever play someone leecherous.

I've played a lech before. The women in my gaming group didn't have a problem with it, but they knew I was sending up the assorted cliches.

That'd last only as long as it took for Amethyst to somehow get a hold of Vitus* and ask him

for his DS spell.

Under any circumstance, that would count as a most emphatic "no".

And probably preclude the victim from any future career in lechery, too. Unless their powers include "Regenerate Organ"

But, since you brought him up, Vitus would stare incredulously, and then be somewhat stumped. I don't think he watched any movies while he was stuck on Champions Earth, avoided going out in public in 1920s Cthulhu, and has limited options for the big screen experience in certain other campaigns. His biggest problem would be that he can't think of any movies where the heroes win because they cheat like mofos - rigging the battleground with close-focus Azathoth-summoning sigils, for example. Although he did hear that the recent Avengers flick had a good example of what to do when the villain is monologing.

Zero, aka Truman Golightly, might suggest Breakfast at Tiffany's, although that would be a tad egotistical. And explaining that yellowface character difficult. Perhaps if tere's a drive-in still working nearby they could go see what was screening? Or a vintage cinema.... somewhere nicely Art Deco, of course.

ROVER would default to checking which movie has consistently highest rating, assume this would result in the most likely satisfying result for Amethyst, and have his sibling SPOT screen it on the Big Wall of Monitors

Well, my initial answer is what *I* would do, now let's see what my characters would do...

Shadow Hawk has been on missions that he thought were hopeless (suicidal), and knows that kind of attitude leads to failure and death. He would pick a movie that's 'a Triumph over impossible odds' in a attempt to get her in the right frame of mind for the mission. How about "The Last Starfighter".

Goliath... why would she be talking to a 7'2" 500lb blue monster with the mentality of a happy 3 year old? He'd want to go see "Cars".

El Mago, being a billionaire playboy Spanish nobleman would pick something romantic and probably European or foriegn. "Like Water for Chocolate". Being a playboy, he would watch for the signs that she was open to his advances, being a gentleman he would not act unless he saw those signs.

Steel Panther, being a tech geek, would choose science fiction. The new "Star Trek" would be right. Being a teenager, he'd also be likely to try holding her hand or something.

The Eagle is a 29 year old black man in 1960 NYC. He's over-sensitive about racial issues, and wouldn't want to give a random bigot offense. He'd suggest that she ask someone else.

Beautiful music' date=' truly lovely photography, first class acting from the cast. Pretty cruddy storyline, really.[/quote']

Not a really likeable character in the entire movie with the possible exception of cat, and the only theme I got from it was "everybody's a whore in one way or another."

Seriously, Holly throws her cat out of a cab, in the rain, in a strange neighborhood, and we are supposed to like her because she changes her mind?