Interesting article about Sexism in Geek Communities

Tasha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last week my favorite comic-and-games store passed a test. My daughter went there, was treated very nicely, by herself. It is what I would have hoped, but being on my side of the divide, I could not be sure until after her report.

Which one was it -- since I'm in the region again?

Why defensive videogame fanbases display the exact same sensitivity they claim to abhor

There are several elements of predictable crowd behaviour when it comes to the highly anticipated launches of huge-budget videogames. First, the game is liable to receive generally high reviews, with minor variations among outlets. Second, the outliers on that narrow range will be subject to scrutiny – the perfect score must have been ‘bought by PR’, while the ‘half-point lower than the median’ score is a travesty whose text Internet commentators must analyse line by line to unveil certain discrepancy and conspiracy.

Beyond that, there are other certain triggers: if the outlying review score is written by a woman, the proportionate fervour increases. If the woman dislikes some element of the game readers can correlate to her gender – the portrayal of female characters in the game, to use an obvious example – that objection will become shorthand for her entire opinion, even if the review is generally good.

A release the size of Grand Theft Auto V is the perfect showcase for this reliable crowd behaviour, and the gaming community met its launch exactly as expected. Carolyn Petit’s disappointment with some of the game’s misogyny only moderately affected her highly scored Gamespot review, but attracted close to 20,000 comments, most of them outraged, some even abusive. Readers were so eager to disprove misogyny, or censure any complaint thereof, that they surely committed it.

Hyper Mode: Anita Sarkeesian vs. the World II

Some people just want to keep videogame culture exactly as it is, and these people hate Sarkeesian and everything she stands for. Many of Sarkeesian’s detractors accuse her of not doing enough, since she critiques the industry as an “outsider” of sorts: She plays games, but she does not make them. (The women who do make games face push-back as well, but that point seems conveniently forgotten in the heat of argument.) Others call her a liar and a con artist, citing any factual errors they can find as definitive proof that her gender role analysis is ill-researched and thus holds no water. She is accused of cherry-picking cut-scenes of violence against women without context—as though added context would help. Sarkeesian is also, according to the internet, both too academic and not academic enough in her work. Still others go the extra mile by making death threats, attempting to hack into Sarkeesian’s various web presences, or impersonating her online.

My biggest problem with her is that she does not just want men and women treated the same.  She also wants to get rid of the action oriented games that I like. It isn't enough to make games like the recent Tomb Raider, because while the protagonist is a woman (and not nearly as overly-sexualized as she was in earlier games), she still walks around killing people with little or no remorse.

In short, I'd really like to watch a moderated debate between her and Olivia Munn.

Oh, and one other Anita-issue.  I understand her points about how we need to use less of women as objects, such as in the damsels-in-distress video.  However, watching her other "tropes vs women" videos, I get the feeling she goes to far in some, like the manic-pixie dream girl.  If the story is primarily focused on one character, most of the other characters will be props.  I'm not sure where the line between offensive and inoffensive types of props is. 

My mental model of Anita (Straw!Anita) responds "Can't we make complex stories of many richly developed characters." I say, that's hard, and sometimes I like simple stories.

I think her bit on Princess Peach kind of loses its steam after Peach became a playable character. 

Similarly, however, the critique of her Critiques missed her point about Peach ENTIRELY. 

Her point was that the Princess needing to be rescued was an issue.

They said, hello! She's a PRINCESS! How awesome is that?

So...yeah. Still a long conversation ahead of us. 

My biggest problem with her is that she does not just want men and women treated the same.  She also wants to get rid of the action oriented games that I like. It isn't enough to make games like the recent Tomb Raider, because while the protagonist is a woman (and not nearly as overly-sexualized as she was in earlier games), she still walks around killing people with little or no remorse.

I've seen a video of the new Tomb Raider, complaining about the opposite, that Lara was too emotional about the situations she's put in and one of the things in the clips was showing her being upset at killing a person for the first time. That was from a feminist or at least someone claiming to be one.

From what I've seen of the game, it looks decent. I may pick it up sometime, but I have other games to get through first.