Interesting article about Sexism in Geek Communities

Tasha

You're talking about Yaya Han, right?  Because she has her own TV show--

Heroes Of Cosplay

There are other cosplayers on the show, but it's made clear that she's the star, and in the first season only one of the other cosplayers was male; the rest were female.  Doesn't get more celebratory than that, I think.

It's supposed to return for a second season this year; maybe some cosplayers here might want to get in on it.  Any takers?

Her costuming is pretty stunning. There are some who clearly buy costumes (you see identical sets constantly) and then there are those who make them, the latter is a larger, more impressive group. Some of them are clearly professional class tailors/designers. 

There was a great thread in a cosplay forum (I think ) that I got pointed to somehow about a young woman making HALO Spartan armor...it took her almost a year and the process was daunting and remarkable. 

Some of the best cosplay I've seen are those who take an idea and make it their own; The Samurai Storm Trooper, Slave-Leia Harley Quinn, Hello Kitty Vader, these are neat as all get out. 

I love the steam punk players and people willing to make their own/original stuff as much as those who perfect an existing character/design.

A lot of the cosplayers make better costumes than what I've seen out of Hollywood. Funny that a hobbyist can make a costume true to the comics that doesn't look ridiculous, but the pros often can't.

Whenever I see a good cosplayer, right after my ape-brain notes her attractiveness, my first thought is admiration for the creativity, time, and skill that went into making the costume.

...you* were initially excited about a game called Ultimate Gay Fighter? 

This is the 'problem' with such articles; there isn't a perfect consensus about which depictions are oppressive stereotypes or empowering statements.

The creators of the game feel they're doing the latter, but it feels the former to the author. (and me to be honest) 

I suppose having this game out there adds to the discussion which is a good thing, right? 

*the author

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I only played the first Halo game, but

1) Master Chief does run away from danger he can't possibly fight (when Halo is going to explode).  He doesn't comment on being afraid of that, but he honestly doesn't comment on much in the game in any event. 

2) I have no idea how to make a game about expressing fear in a healthy, productive way that would be fun. I've played horror games like Condemned, and while they did a good job letting me feel fear in my seat (in that fun way horror movies do) the character didn't express anything of the sort.

3) I understand that the lack of Female and Gay characters is a problem, but

4) I hate it when people conflate that issue with violent games.  I should be allowed to enjoy violent video games and want women in games accorded whatever degree of respect the male characters do, both at the same time.

So, basically, yes boys should feel comfortable asking for help when they are afraid, but asking for help in a game is boring and disempowering.  Feeling mighty is one of the funnest parts of video games.

I'm with Sociotard on this. 

While I have never played anymore than a few versus matches of Halo (FPS aren't my thing), I have watched the full story arch for the newest in the franchise. And just like Sociotard mentioned, Master Chief doesn't comment on much of anything. And while he doesn't comment much, you can certainly gleam from his actions / reactions and the few comments he does make, that he feels fear, worries about abandonment, and strives to better the situation the best way he knows how given his resources. 

And while lacing messages into games is nice, at the end of the day games are a means to escape the tedium or harshness of reality. Why play a character who needs to go to counseling when you can play a character that takes control of their environment? 

Lastly, while I agree that having more positive and expressive male characters is better, I don't think it is fair to claim that there is really that big of a lack. I have played a number of games where leading male characters showed at least some emotional side and how that helped drive the plot. It strikes me that, at least for boys and men, there are bigger fish to fry in the gaming sphere than simple emotional openness of male characters. 

La Rose. 

RPG's or nothing my friend. 

(well ok, occasionally a puzzle game)

Wa-wa-what! No love for RTS or Grand Stategy Games? What about straight up fighters? 

As it is now, I don't play many games. When I do, though, it is something like Civ5, StartCraft II, or fighting games like Smash Bros or Tekken. 

La Rose. 

Wa-wa-what! No love for RTS or Grand Stategy Games? What about straight up fighters? 

As it is now, I don't play many games. When I do, though, it is something like Civ5, StartCraft II, or fighting games like Smash Bros or Tekken. 

La Rose. 

well I was a button mashing Fighter King for a long while, but I don't play much anymore. Lost my PS2 and all my games and never decided to get back into it. 

I do like the Civ style games quite a bit - I don't steam but probably should :) 

For the most part though, I use my video game time to play MMO's with friends across the country so it's more of a social activity. When I'm by myself I will puzzle or futz around in an RPG. 

used to be real into Tactical RPGs too. 

I'm not twitch enough for FPS or racing games, never was. my Fighting prowess was mostly luck :)