Interesting article about Sexism in Geek Communities

Tasha

Worth watching. She makes some valid points.

There's another nice issue as well. In 9 months, Sarkeesian's YouTube video promoting her Kickstarter had 315,000 views. In 5 days, the first of her Tropes vs Women in Video Gaming has had 880,000 views.

Yes, I'm aware not everyone who supported her Kickstarter, blogged about it or hated on her (particularly the latter), will have gone to her YouTube channel. But I think the figures show she's making an impact.

I sincerely hope video game designers sit up and take notice. The rest of us should as well.

Damsel in distress? Let me hark back to a cheesy 80s flick: "She rescues him right back."

I think I have to do a series of images undermining this whole theme, when I get the chance to get back to some digital art. I did a she resuces her some time ago, but it does need reworking, I think a she rescues him and a he rescues him are necessary - ff anyone has to rescue anyone of course.

(My all-time favourite rescue: The 'Almeida moment' from 24. Jack Bauer's in crud up to his eyeballs, surrounded and pinned down, when Tony Almeida, the shell of his former self, just walks in and blows the bad guys away. Casually. That, my friends, is how the rescue scenario is done: Jack is awesome; Tony is awesomer.)

• 2 weeks later...
A pity she didn't name names of the offending imbecile from the press and cost him his press credentials. Well, maybe not in the blog. But to the PAX organizers, it certainly should be done, and through them get him declared persona non grata, and issue a formal complaint to his employer, and tell him to have a nice new career. Idiot.

• 4 weeks later...

30 days of Sexism

"My name is Alanah Pearce and I’m a videogame journalist. I write for various websites, and make regular videos for four separate YouTube channels. I present on one TV show and for Xbox Australia on the Xbox Dashboard. I make news videos, review videos, I host events, I interview developers and I really, really love what I do.

I also happen to be female."

More at this linky : http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/04/30-days-of-sexism/

• 1 month later...
Cygnia' date=' thank you for continuing to post these these links. I don't always completely agree with the bloggers, but I do appreciate getting to hear their stories and their points of view. :thumbup:[/quote']

Dankesehr. For too long I was encouraged to stay silent or wallow in internalized misogyny in attacking other women. I refuse to do that anymore.

Thanks for keeping the thread going. I haven't been posting much lately due the unpredictability of the Board Software. (which I know isn't Dan's fault and that he can't fix without the software company making a patch that fixes everything :angel: )

Thanks again,

Tasha

From Jim C. Hines' blog: [h=1]What is Rape Culture?[/h] http://www.jimchines.com/2013/06/what-is-rape-culture/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=what-is-rape-culture

And, from the Guardian [h=1]What happened when I started a feminist society at school[/h] http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/mortarboard/2013/jun/20/why-i-started-a-feminist-society

Re: Interesting article about Sexism in Geek Communities

Unfortunately, while it's easy to say "well, just learn self-defense!", not everyone is in a position to take that luxury.

Like those assaulted by their fathers or brothers or other family members.

Or those threatened with harm to their loved ones if they don't comply.

Or the weapon is taken away from them/not able to be accessed in time.

Or have been chemically incapacitated in some way via drugs &/or alcohol.

Or your mind just freezes up, where you just CAN'T think or act clearly in time.

Take precautions, fine. But why is it so difficult to teach people not to rape in the first place?

I know this is an old post I am responding to, and this have been addressed further along in the thread, but no one up to this point has said "just learn self-defense!" There are victim blamers out there, but I think you're preaching to the choir here.