Interesting article about Sexism in Geek Communities

Tasha

• 3 weeks later...

James Nicoll catches us up on what's new with the Science Fiction Writers of America: A series of articles in the Bulletin, SFWA's magazine.

Let's see if I can get the sequence right: An issue of the Bulletin comes out with a chick in chainmail cover more suitable for Sad Lonely Gamer Magazine than a modern professionals' magazine. Some discussion whether this is appropriate ensues.

Mike Resnick and Barry Malzberg chat about the women of SF in ages past: conversation more suitable for Playboy circa 1965 than a modern professionals' magazine. Some discussion whether this is appropriate ensues. C. J. Henderson writes an article holding up Barbie dolls as a role model for women, in particular Barbie's way of showing "quiet dignity the way a woman should". It turns out many people are somewhat skeptical that a plastic doll is a good role model.

Resnick and Malzberg reply to their critics by claiming the complaints were anonymous (which implies they never read what was said) and calling said critics commie nazi totalitarians who want to crush FREEEEEEEDOM*. An internet firestorm ensues. In parallel with the above, Theodore "VD" Beale used the SWFA twitter feed to deliver a racist diatribe about Nora Jemison in particular and about blacks in general.

* Shades of Rod Rees thing, where his essay on the Jo Fletcher site about how you can totes establish a character is a woman by having her basically replay a webcam fap scene in front of a mirror - demonstrating in the process that he either never actually saw a boob or if he did didn't pay attention - attracted some constructive criticism. Jo Fletcher decided the angle to play was to claim people were attacking the First Amendment. Because that always works.

• 2 weeks later...

Was just reading why a friend on LJ won't be renewing her SFWA membership, and found out about some recent shenanigans in the SFWA Bulletin, starting with issue 200:

http://io9.com/the-editor-of-sfwas-bulletin-resigns-over-sexist-artic-511752239

and then . . .

http://www.betsydornbusch.com/2013/04/another-sfwa-sexist-gaffe.html

Resnick's attitude wasn't surprising. He's always come off as a pretentious ass when writing about the industry. Seems to be a few too many of his ilk in the organization.

I can hardly tell what that guy is talking about. It sounds like the ravings of a SAN-damaged cultist.

Sounds to me like he's still in middle school. And just broke up with his girlfriend.

I keep hearing about Facebook. And everything I learn confirms my determination to never have anything to do with it. And deepens my bewilderment that anyone in their right mind does want anything to do with it.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has two faces and has been known to eat books

Re: Interesting article about Sexism in Geek Communities

No what I meant is that there are characters in Sci-fi/Comics/TV that are loved by everyone who were designed originally as Male Characters. Only later in production where they changed into kick ass women characters.

Ellen Ripley from the Alien series of movies. That character was originally supposed to be played by a guy. The dialog etc was written for a guy. They gave the part to Sigourney Weaver and history was made.

Of Course the one everyone knows was Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica. Originally Played by Dirk Benedict, was going to again be played by Dirk Benedict in the what was going to be a Sequel Version. When the Production team changed, it was eventually decided to give the role of Starbuck to Katie Sackoff. Many Fans (myself included) were unsure that such an Alpha Male role could be done well by any woman. Katie really surprised me in the first episode being just as kick ass, devil may care as Dirk's Starbuck and I think she took the role to new Heights.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/meet-the-new-action-heroines-1980491.html

Has a list of TV and Movie roles that were originally wrote for a guy and then rewritten for a woman.

I saw a very interesting article on this. That when creating interesting character that one should create a character first without worrying about gender. I am personally trying to do something similar for a demo game that I am working for the Champions Complete Launch. I plan on writing up 7-9 characters, but write them without gender. Which should allow anyone playing them to assign what gender they wish to the character.

I just keep thinking that the best female characters are ones that are competent, powerful etc. Who are written with few stereotypes burdening them. Though I do love the touches that women authors add to their characters. ie I love when Laurel K Hamilton's Anita Blake has to deal with wearing heals, hose, skirts and silk blouses to crime scenes and zombie raisings as that is what is acceptable attire for a business women. I love when she has problems with shredded hose and broken heels when she does anything more than just walking normally. I also love that when she knows trouble is coming she will wear Sensible shoes and clothing. Totally Kick Ass character dealing with what a lot of women deal with every day (shredded hose, and broken heels etc, not the gunshots, zombies etc).

My apologies I did not get what you originally meant. I am aware that originally Ripley was written as a man and so was Lambert but the head of the studio Mr Ladd said change two of the roles and as ypu say history was made.

I have the new Galactica on DVD and enjoy it. I did not feel the same about the original although Benedict was an exception.

As to Anita Blake this was a series I really enjoyed until it became more about the character having sex then having a plot. I think the last decent one is Obsidian Butterfly. The sad thing is that Hamilton is ignoring this. Now if I want a vampire story with a plot the Sookie Stackhouse books are the ones I read. The fact that Sookie is still a waitress and still has to navigate getting money as well as living with her talent and the various powers around is more believeable.

I was introduced to the Anita Blake books (as well as the Dresden ones) by a female friend. I returned the favour with the Stackhouse books.

I really enjoyed the first 4 or 5 Anita Blake novels. She was a great character who was in some well-plotted and written books. I say this despite the fact that she lives in a world where everyone who matters is "teh sexy." After that the series devolved into being paranormal erotica with a hand-wave at a plot tacked on for forms sake. Erotica hass its place, and Hamilton writes passable erotica, but its not what hooked me on the character or series. It progressively jumped the shark in books 6-9. I was hoping she'd come back, but... it just kept getting worse. So, I quit. Hamilton's little authorial tantrum when part of her reader-base were honest about what they thought of her new tack didn't give the impression things were going to change. Anita was a great character who has been burdened with some really hackneyed - and sometimes disturbing - authorial attitudes that undermine her as a strong female protagonist. I don't mean that she has sex and likes it. That's a *good* thing. But Hamilton has inserted some very disturbing value dissonances and unattractive character traits into her work. I understand she's shifted back towards the original formula, which tempts me to take a look, but I'm not sure its worth the investment of time, or money.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with everything that Ms. Sarkeesian has to say, but . . . I'd REALLY prefer to get it in text, where it takes less time to read and I can go back and review specific points more easily. Mad props to her for her position and courage, but if the bulk of the video is a talking head, maybe video isn't the right format?

I find her videos well put together and engaging. Also, they sometimes have visual information that would be hard to adequately convey in written form. However, you are right that reading them in article form would probably take less than half the time and time can be a precious commodity. So, I see where you are coming from here.

I find her and criticisms of her both to be just to left of obnoxious. I know she took a lot of crap for her Kickstarter and not having the videos instantly materialize (calling her a scam artist) and I know there's room for debate, even within her critiques. I don't agree with her on some things but that's fair.

I'm glad she's finally getting the videos out and hope for the discussion to continue. The long and short of it is that as the gamer demographic continues to evolve so will the games. Some parts will be kicking and screaming, others will be smoother.

From the article's quotes section:

I was the ONLY female in my university's mid-level programming courses and even though I worked to hard to always be in the top 95% of the curve . . .

This one's reinforcing the girls are bad at math stereotype. Or has really low standards. :D

Good read.