Genius Tricks

Reality

Champions Powers has a lot of option for physical and psionic powers, but there seems to be nothing for simulating the true genius; the one whose creativity and brilliance transcends the INT Skills. I'm thinking the people like Sherlock Holmes whose deductive/inductive abilities bordered on superhuman, or the Doctor, or Mr. Fantastic, or the Marvel NOW! version of Bruce Banner. I'm not talking just throwing a Gadget VPP together, either. I'm talking thinks like Holmes being able to deduce what Watson was thinking just by a few minutes of observation, or being able to perform mental tasks much more quickly than normal, or never missing a clue, etc.

So after the fashion of Champions Powers, what would be some Basic Genius Tricks, Offensive Genius Tricks, Defensive Genius Tricks, Movement Genius Tricks, Sensory Genius Tricks and Miscellaneous Genius Tricks?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Genius Tricks

It's just a SFX like any other. I made N3, who has a "Genius Tricks" set, for a play by post game for instance.

On a smaller scale, I've also given other smart characters similar abilities w/ SFX of "hyper intelligent". The problem I've run into is not one of being able to come up with abilities, but rather one of convincing a GM that "being extra smart" was sufficient justification for such abilities. For whatever reason, many seem to feel that intelligence is just passive and is best represented by intellectual skills and perception checks. In point of fact, the GM for the game I had made N3 for objected to the character (and was more narrow in general than I care for), and in the end we could not find a compromise and I did not play.

Basic Genius: +3 Overall levels. These give a character the ability to do a lot of things really well, here with the sfx that their innate Genius lets them analyze any situation thoroughly and optimize their response.

Combat Anaylsis: Martial Arts package, based on knowledge of where to hit people and be able to predict their actions. Moves like NND strikes are particularly appropriate.

Saw it coming: +3 PD/ED Combat Luck, (possibly with +3 DCV)

Super Deduction: Deduction 18- is probably easiest. Or Clairsentience only for Retrocognition, only for deductive guess

Hyper Observant: +3 to all PER rolls. This looks pretty basic, but it can have quite an impact on the amount of info a character can pick up.

Lay of the Land: +6m Running linked to +4m Leaping, Requires PER roll, only on appropriate terrain. The character observes closely enough to be able to maximize movement through it (avoiding obstacles, uneven ground, etc.)

There are several Talents that would be appropriate too, like Lightning Calculator, Eidetic Memory, Defensive Manuever, etc. Deadly Blow would be a good pick to boost attack strength.

Edit: I see Killer Shrike has beat me to the punch. His stuff is always great, and N3 is no exception so definitely take a look at that.

Here's a sample of the kind of thing I'm hoping for: Sherlock's ability to "read" what a character is thinking via deduction.

Deduce Thoughts:
Telepathy 6d6 (30 Points), Only For Reading Thoughts (-1/2), Extra Time (1 minute, -1 1/2), Normal Range (-1/4), Requires Deduction Roll (-1/2), 8 Real Points.

[Edit] By the time I finished this I got two great responses. Thanks! Keep them coming! [Edit]

I thought of another one: Sherlock Holmes' ability to "read" a person's (or an object's) recent history, habits and occupation with just a cursory examination.

I Perceive:
Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight, Smell/Taste, Touch And Hearing Groups), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (105 Active Points); Retrocognition Only (-1), Requires A Roll (Deduction roll; -1/2), Time Modifiers (-1/2), Must Be Able To Perceive Target With Normal Senses (-1/2), 30 Real Points

It's retrocognitive because Holmes is looking at what the object/person did in the past (including his current profession, as the clues on that person are from recent performance of that profession). Although Holmes primarily relies on sight, he can use the full range of his senses to make his observations, but the target of his observations must be within range of his normal senses.

In the Fifth Edition Champions sourcebook UNTIL: Defenders Of Freedom, Mentiac, the former member of UNTIL's superhero team Unity, had a couple of "Advanced Thought Processes" Mental Powers with the SFX of being able to analyze a person's psychology from background data or close observation of the subject. Here are the 5E HERO write-ups for them:

One Step Ahead Of You: Telepathy 10d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Requires A Deduction Roll (-1/2), Extra Time (5 Minutes; -2), Concentration (1/2 DCV throughout activation time -- must closely observe subject, including facial expressions; -1/2), Only Surface Thoughts May Be Read (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4)

Intuitive Tracking: Mind Scan 10d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Requires A Deduction Roll (-1/2), Extra Time (5 Minutes; -2), Requires Proper Data Regarding Target To Be Located (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4)

Mentiac also had Find Weakness with his main attack defined as Weak Spot Calculation. Since FW doesn't exist in 6E, I'd probably build this as Armor Piercing Naked Advantage with RSR (Deduction), or a Perception Roll.

In one of my games, the kid genius built CARNIVORE, the ultimate spy program.

it basically did everything you could do with a crystal ball, as long as it was something

justifiably connected with the Internet, such as a database, or a webcam.

One could deduce a person's thoughts by reading their blog, their email, their spending habits,

listening in on their house and work, tracking their driver's license, cell phone etc.

It was similar to Liaden's ideas above, but with focus, extra time, etc.

With the feedback I've had so far, I've composed an unofficial chapter for Champions Powers called Genius Powers. I've attached it below.

Don't stop with the ideas, though. I have no problem adding to the PDF.;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45397[/ATTACH]

[EDIT] Updated with a few new Powers. [EDIT]

Another option is "+X Overall Skill Levels' date=' Usable By Others" (with whatever ads and limitations you think fit) to represent superior planning. The Super-Genius coordinates his allies' actions, and they benefit from his brilliance.[/quote']

How would you ensure that this would eventually expire? Do you give them non-renewable charges? After all, once the recipients of the Skill Levels depart from the genius' company, they can't revise anything, and each use of the benefit will make their opponents wise to their plans.

I don't mean to speak for sinanju' date=' but my impression is that that's his point. The benefits of the Skill Levels only apply to others when the genius is around, giving his input. He doesn't actually bestow them on other people so they can walk away with them.[/quote']

Ok. That makes sense.

Re: Genius Tricks From my write up of Amazing Man 54 4)

The Fourth Test: To answer a thousand questions, each in a different tongue: (Total: 72 Active Cost, 54 Real Cost)

Universal Translator 16- (23 Active Points); Limited Power Only known, human languages. (-1/4) (Real Cost: 18) plus

Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); Requires Amazing Intellect Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 5 Active Points; -1) (Real Cost: 2) plus

Speed Reading (x100) (Real Cost: 6) plus

Speed Listening (x100) (6 Active Points); Limited Power Only to mentally review information being "played back" by Eidetic Memory (-1/2) (Real Cost: 4) plus

Deduction 14- (Real Cost: 5) plus

Cramming , Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; Amazing Man always seems to know what he needs to know; +1/4) (6 Active Points) (Real Cost: 6) plus

Cramming , Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; Amazing Man always seems to know what he needs to know; +1/4) (6 Active Points) (Real Cost: 6) plus

Cramming (5 Active Points); Requires Amazing Intellect Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 5 Active Points; -1) (Real Cost: 2) plus

Lightning Calculator (3 Active Points); Requires Amazing Intellect Skill Roll (-1/2), Side Effects (If roll is missed by more than one, a WRONG answer is given - usually a number equal to the right answer, plus 4 ; -1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus

Life Support (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week; it doesn't say they gave him any breaks during that test!) (Real Cost: 2) plus

Computer Link (5 Active Points); Requires Amazing Intellect Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 5 Active Points; -1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; Has to think about it; -1/2) (Real Cost: 1)

Notes: Some notes on the powers: Amazing Man is reported to have "passed easily" a test on "all subjects." Rather than buy KS: Everything at <=30, I chose to annotate his encyclopedic knowledge as a "computer link." to represent the library in his mind. This, combined with Eidetic Memory, Speed Reading, Speed Listening (in a single Turn he can mentally review an hour and a half lecture) and three slots of Cramming mean that he can get an <=8 roll in almost anything (by consulting his Eidetic Memory, and speed-studying it.) Note, however, that he is not omniscient (even he can't read every book and every newspaper and attend every lecture on every subject!) nor is his information perfect; even if he remembers a text, article, or conversation perfectly, the source may be incomplete, outdated, or just plain wrong.

Lucius Alexander

Amazing Palindromedary

Could inspiration be had by watching the Mentalist, the Profiler and/or the new Sherlock one (googling) oh yeah: Elementary.

even if he remembers a text, article, or conversation perfectly, the source may be incomplete, outdated, or just plain wrong.

I KNOW!!! what if he read a Wikipedia article !

As a complete tangent, for my "Warhammer Inspired Super Heroes" game (aka WISH), one of the SFX (groups of abilities) is called Acuity.

It is a collection of intelligence & perception based Stunts. Many of the abilities could be translated into HERO System terms, and might provide some ideas for your set.

For all the different Mental powers suggested for this I think things such as ACV (Int Roll) and NND would be especially appropriate. He isnt using psychic powers to get the information (So MD, OMCV, DMCV and the like don't really apply). Of course this would increase the cost of the powers quite substantially so YMMV.

All those gave me alot of ideas , thanks all :)

@Lucius and his Palindromedary : I think there is a typo or unwanted iteration of the Cramming power in the compound

Merry Xmas !

Opale

No, I deliberately Crammed that Power in more than once. Seven iterations I think.

Lucius Alexander

And his Amazing Palindromedary

How about extra STR' date=' Only to escape from Grabs & Entangles, Needs INT Roll? He can think his way out of any trap.[/quote']

The previously posted character, N3, has this ability.

18 5) Puzzle A Way Out: +30 STR, Requires An INT Roll (High INT Reduction; +0), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Only To Escape Entangles And Grabs (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)

• 5 months later...

From the Skylar Adams thread - a super-engineer

Power: Gadgeteering 14- (18-) (Real Cost: 3)

Inventor 14- (18-) (Real Cost: 3)

Electronics 14- (18-) (Real Cost: 3)

Mechanics 14- (18-) (Real Cost: 3)

Systems Operation 14- (18-), Variable Special Effects (Any SFX; To Operate ANY System; +1/2) (4 Active Points) (Real Cost: 4)

Security Systems 14- (18-) (Real Cost: 3)

Deduction 14- (18-) (Real Cost: 3)

Analyze: Machine 14- (18-) (Real Cost: 3)

Assuming an INT of 23

+1 with all Non-Combat Skills (Real Cost: 10)

+20 INT (20 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -1), Limited Power Only for Skill Rolls (-1/2), Requires A Roll (Gadgeteering Skill roll, -1 per 20 Active Points modifier; -1/4) (Real Cost: 7) There's a reason I wanted to boost all those Skills to 18.

+10 with all Intellect Skills (40 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -1), Limited Power Only to perform incredible feats under the Extraordinary Skill rule (-1) (Real Cost: 13) An optional rule, yes, but it allows a lot of fun and flexibility.

Detect A Class Of Things: Machines 14- (Sight Group), Adjacent, Discriminatory, Analyze, Microscopic: x10, Penetrative, Rapid: x1,000 (40 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -1), Requires A Roll (Gadgeteering Skill roll, -1 per 20 Active Points modifier; Must be made each Phase/use; -3/4) (Real Cost: 14)

The character can learn as much about a device by studying it intently for a turn, as a regular engineer would in 3 or 4 hours of taking it apart and analyzing it with instruments.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary cannot be reverse engineered

• 2 weeks later...

Let me think... (Note: I diden't bring my copy of Champions Complete with me, and do not feal like turning on my Nook to look this up right now, so it's point value might be wrong).

If I Hit You HERE...: 4d6 Blast, AVLD (NND: Defence Is Not Haveing Vulderable Points: +1), Range Limitation (No Range:-1/2), Limited Power (Can Only Use As A Multi-Power Attack, And Not By Itself: -1/2), Requiers A Skill Roll (Power: Genus Tricks: -1/2). Active Points: 40. Real Cost: 16. END Cost: 4.

You can susbstute Deduction for Power: Genus Tricks, if you wish. Or even use a stright INT roll

,how can Limited Power (Can Only Use As A Multi-Power Attack, And Not By Itself: -1/2 be a limitation?

it's like having a limitation "Can only be bought by male characters"

I don't understand your comparison at all. I'm not arguing that it is worth a Limitation, I just don't understand the correlation you are trying to make.