How many limitations do you take on your heroes' powers?

Cassandra

I take as few as possible, typically only ones that are essentially required by the special effects ('not in rain/underwater/no oxygen' for fire powers, f'rex). Miscellaneous stuff like activation rolls or whatever I avoid; I'd rather do, say, 12d6 damage consistently than 15d6 with a chance of blowing that activation roll at a critical moment.

As many as fit the concept.
This. Unified Power is an interesting case. It was created as a replacement for Elemental Control but it also makes sense for any mundane equipment that is built with a Multipower where a single slot being drained/broken should mean that ALL slots are equally affected. Many GM's would hand wave this in the past but it's nice to have the mechanic clearly stated in the rules. There was an early version of Unified in the 5er FAQ but few people were aware of it.

It varies widely from character to character and power to power. I do love the flavor of them so its really rare to see a character without several of them and may characters I create have been somewhat bloated with them admittedly to reduce point costs so I can get in all the abilities I want them to have. I do tend to prefer Rules-Centric Limitations to GM Centric ones tho.. I like to have control over how much that limitation is going to cost me.

Well, I usually put incantations, gestures, full phase, concentrate DCV 0, requires a skill roll, OIF...

Seriously I cut my teeth on Fantasy Hero and as a result I probably stack more limitations on my Champions characters than most people. To a fault--I can't help but put every possible logical limitation on a given power, even multipower slots where it might save me a point.

I take as few as possible, typically only ones that are essentially required by the special effects ('not in rain/underwater/no oxygen' for fire powers, f'rex). Miscellaneous stuff like activation rolls or whatever I avoid; I'd rather do, say, 12d6 damage consistently than 15d6 with a chance of blowing that activation roll at a critical moment.
Stay out of my head! ;)

I take as few as possible' date=' typically only ones that are essentially required by the special effects ('not in rain/underwater/no oxygen' for fire powers, f'rex). Miscellaneous stuff like activation rolls or whatever I avoid; I'd rather do, say, 12d6 damage consistently than 15d6 with a chance of blowing that activation roll at a critical moment.[/quote']

CC stated my answer almost word for word. This sounds like a "me too" post, but it seemed silly to retype his answer and be accused of plagiarism. ;)

I take as few as possible' date=' typically only ones that are essentially required by the special effects ('not in rain/underwater/no oxygen' for fire powers, f'rex). Miscellaneous stuff like activation rolls or whatever I avoid; I'd rather do, say, 12d6 damage consistently than 15d6 with a chance of blowing that activation roll at a critical moment.[/quote']

CC stated my answer almost word for word. This sounds like a "me too" post, but it seemed silly to retype his answer and be accused of plagiarism. ;)

Aliases + Jennifer Garner

I think most villains are too worried about what Wonder Woman might do to them when she found them with the Lasso to ever consider stealing it or taking it far away*. As I recall, she was only ever 'captured' a few times by folks who didn't care about the Lasso (Vandal Savage, the Thanagarians and the Justice Lords).

*I was just watching an episode the other day and she was about to punch a bank robber in the head (lethal!) when Jo'nn called her away for a mission.

Batman's Utility Belt is booby trapped and has relatively mundane equipment**.

** I believe an episode of Justice League Animated hinged upon the bad guys stealing it to get what ammounted to a garage door opener for the JL Satalite.

I think most villains are too worried about what Wonder Woman might do to them when she found them with the Lasso to ever consider stealing it or taking it far away*. As I recall, she was only ever 'captured' a few times by folks who didn't care about the Lasso (Vandal Savage, the Thanagarians and the Justice Lords).

*I was just watching an episode the other day and she was about to punch a bank robber in the head (lethal!) when Jo'nn called her away for a mission.

Batman's Utility Belt is booby trapped and has relatively mundane equipment**.

** I believe an episode of Justice League Animated hinged upon the bad guys stealing it to get what ammounted to a garage door opener for the JL Satalite.

In the cartoon maybe. WW got captured all the freaking time in the first decade of her comics.

I had one player who used a Ego attack on my Martial artist and said the special effect was he touched them... But he bought it such that he got the limitation (0 range) to reduce the cost.

I told him that meant he had to had to touch the MA which was much harder than hitting their ego... He didn't like that...

I had one player who used a Ego attack on my Martial artist and said the special effect was he touched them... But he bought it such that he got the limitation (0 range) to reduce the cost.

I told him that meant he had to had to touch the MA which was much harder than hitting their ego... He didn't like that...

I wouldn't like it either.

It's a GM's ruling, but 5ER says: "No Range Powers only work, at best, within the hex the character’s currently occupying, or adjacent hexes — in other words, they can only affect targets within HTH Combat distance (page 383). This may mean the character has to touch the target of the Power to affect him, but not necessarily."

There's nothing in the Ego attack as you described it that would necessarily have the effect of changing it from being based on ECV to based on normal CV, which is essentially what you ruled.

That's the kind of thing you have to be careful about when approving characters. The player thought his character build meant something different from what you did.

This was back in 4.0; and it was also over 10 years ago, so I'm likely forgetting some element of his argument.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth & skill!"

I rarely have more than (-1/2) on anything, except the odd OAF gadget used by non-powered types.

I might have the equivalent of (-3/4) if I was building someone like Silver Age Green Lantern.

(-1/2) from an OIF is pretty normal.

I've combined (-1/4) Not in the presence of Kryptonite and (-1/4) Not under a Red Sun, to give an effective general (-1/2) through my Silver Age Supergirl character.

(-1/4) Only in Hero ID is pretty common too.

I prefer building my characters to be fairly viable even when these limitations apply, but that obviously doesn't apply when you are talking about Kryptonite and Supergirl, or even Supergirl under a Red Sun.

It's also perfectly normal for me to build characters with few if any limitations at all, or who are non-powered characters whose equipment is essentially a supplement to their main abilities.

One of the factors influencing my use of limitations is my fondness for building low-powered characters. Limitations can make a lot of difference between characters on the same point total.

I noticed in many comic books that the villains rarely take Wonder Woman's Magic Lasso or Batman's Utility Belt. I'm thinking they are OIHID (-1/4), Restrainable (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4)
I would probably call the Utility Belt an OIF and leave it at that. Villains FREQUENTLY take it away from him actually, but only after they have already subdued him.

It varies according to the char. Sometimes I will load the power(s) down with (questionably) unnecessary lims while others should get more than they actually get. It depends on how I am feeling at the time, if the char is hero/villain, purpose of char/power, and several other factors.