In other news...

tkdguy

No Shirt, No Swipe, No Service

For years, small businesses have asked customers to pay cash, set credit card minimums, or added a surcharge onto card transactions, in an effort to defray the premiums imposed by companies like Mastercard and Visa. Now, an increasing number of businesses are doing the opposite. Head out of Slate’s offices for lunch and you might wind up at Dos Toros, a

local burrito minichain; for coffee you might pick Devoción, a Colombian-born coffeehouse with an airy storefront. In either case, you’d be confronted with the same demand: Pay with plastic.

There's a beer place near my house that's plastic only, the first time I'd encountered that.  26 taps, water, one TV and a few tables indoors, several tables outdoors, and nothing else.  No waitstaff, service at the bar only.  They do seem to arrange for a food truck to park out in front and sell their stuff most evenings (and those are entirely distinct operations), and they don't complain about food delivery either.  Very stripped-down operation.  They seem to be doing well, at least when the weather's good.

45 minutes ago, Cancer said:

There's a beer place near my house that's plastic only, the first time I'd encountered that.  26 taps, water, one TV and a few tables indoors, several tables outdoors, and nothing else.  No waitstaff, service at the bar only.  They do seem to arrange for a food truck to park out in front and sell their stuff most evenings (and those are entirely distinct operations), and they don't complain about food delivery either.  Very stripped-down operation.  They seem to be doing well, at least when the weather's good.

You can order tacos, sit at home and watch TV and drink, and you have a private bathroom... or you can order the same tacos, sit at one of our tables and watch TV and drink a wider selection at a higher price and share a bathroom with dozens of others.

Introvert vs. Extravert... I know which one I'd choose...

I generally use cash for small transactions, and certain fast food locations*. Otherwise, it's usually a credit card based upon which one gives me the most rewards back from the transaction.**

*I've had my debit card replaced about 5 times in the last 10 years, and, from what I can trace back, it's related to certain fast food establishments. Those are now all cash only for me.

**It's vitally important to pay off the entire balance each month to make this work.

When credit cards were first explained to me, not paying off the balance on time every month was not even an option.  It was a dark, veiled threat, where I assumed that the bank would send enforcers to break my teeth in with a brick.  That turns out to have been less dark than the reality, but to this day I don't put purchases on a credit card if I don't have cash in the bank to pay it off.  I've seen credit card debt just destroy a couple of friends of mine.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

When credit cards were first explained to me, not paying off the balance on time every month was not even an option.  It was a dark, veiled threat, where I assumed that the bank would send enforcers to break my teeth in with a brick.  That turns out to have been less dark than the reality, but to this day I don't put purchases on a credit card if I don't have cash in the bank to pay it off.  I've seen credit card debt just destroy a couple of friends of mine.

My late wife was very good at spending money that we didn't have. It took me several years after she passed away to get rid of the credit card debt. Like you, I don't put purchases on a credit card if I don't have cash in the bank to pay it off.

3 hours ago, Starlord said:

Yeah...isn't that the whole point of being a 'Death' Tribble?  You should take that article as a compliment.  Be proud of being a Death Tribble...at least you're not a lowly badger or something.

He's a death tribble, not a diabetes tribble. 

As for badgers, doesn't honey cause diabetes?

9 hours ago, death tribble said:

The trouble with being a badger is that you are either as sweet as honey or you need to be called three times loudly i.e. Badger! Badger! Badger!

Who called?

What?

*throws disembodied Ewok head into the crowd, then leaves*