In other news...

tkdguy

8 hours ago, tkdguy said:

All I ever get from meteor spotting is a sore neck.

Heh, maybe you are like my mother.  She kept looking for the Hale-Bopp comet back in the day, listening to the news station on where in the sky to look, I finally showed her (after spotting in the sky one night coming home from community college).  Turned out she had been looking almost exactly 180 degrees in the wrong direction (she is horrible with direction).

So, do you know your east from your west?;)

2 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I cut the cord at about the same time that this article came out (2015). TBS had been doing their "time compressed" shenanigans with movies and TV shows for a few years before that, however, which meant that I rarely would watch the channel when I had cable. One reference that I found was that "Seinfeld" was speeded up 7.5%in 2013, and 9% in 2015 (when various news outlets noticed the practice). I've also found a comparison video for A Christmas Story, which shows that TBS has time compressed it by 13.5% over the original run time for their annual marathon.

For my part I use an indoor antenna. No local cable company carries everything I'd want to see, anyway. But I also use a pretty elaborate arrangement of stuff around the antenna, both to focus more of the signal on it to boost reception, kind of like an improvised satellite dish; and to block out interference from other EM sources.

With that stuff and in my location, I usually pick up 31 channels, although not all of them with 100% reliability, depending on atmospheric conditions and signal pollution. On a good day that can go up to 39 channels, but that's less than half the time. I also need to move some of my additional stuff around to receive every channel, which is more fuss than most people would want to go through. But I admit, channel hunting has become a bit of a hobby for me. ;)

14 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

For my part I use an indoor antenna. No local cable company carries everything I'd want to see, anyway. But I also use a pretty elaborate arrangement of stuff around the antenna, both to focus more of the signal on it to boost reception, kind of like an improvised satellite dish; and to block out interference from other EM sources.

With that stuff and in my location, I usually pick up 31 channels, although not all of them with 100% reliability, depending on atmospheric conditions and signal pollution. On a good day that can go up to 39 channels, but that's less than half the time. I also need to move some of my additional stuff around to receive every channel, which is more fuss than most people would want to go through. But I admit, channel hunting has become a bit of a hobby for me. ;)

I probably only watch 10-15 channels at most with any regularity (AKA at least once a month).  2-3 might be seasonal,  MASN to catch baseball (Nationals. Orioles broadcast) but between seasons I probably don't spend any time there.  Of course, I've lost a few channels over the years (like the "bright" decision when they dumped History Channel International   AKA the History Channel that actually occasionally showed history for the VICE channel-if I wanted to watch people smoke pot, I'd look some of my fellow high school graduates from the Class of 1994)

I used to watch TV. Then shipped out to sea with the Navy in the middle of a TV season and didn't pick it back up when I got back to the States. Just before my second deployment, on the last night in my apartment, I went to watch some TV to kill some time before bed, and discovered that the whole time I'd been living there, I'd never connected the cable to the TV--I'd only been using it for watching DVDs and playing video games. I quite watching TV without even noticing.

That was over ten years ago. These days, broadcast TV with commercial breaks just seems like FAR too much viewing time is taken up with ads, and most programming seems too "fluffy" for my tastes; too little content stretched to fill too much time.

I don't watch TV and I don't miss it.

I went eight years without owning a TV.  I find that what TV advertises best is itself.  Once you miss an entire season of TV, you miss all the advertising, you have no reason to "catch up", and indeed catching up would be difficult or impossible.  In particular, I had no TV in 2001 and was unable to watch the news.

Of course, whenever I would tell people that I neither watched nor owned a TV, they looked at me like I was a space alien.  In fact, a space alien would probably be more relatable than a human who doesn't watch TV.

I had to get a TV once I got married, otherwise she'd never shut up.

I don't usually watch live TV. I have a Hulu Plus (commercial-free) subscription, and there are a few shows that I watch through it, next day. Other stuff is either through Netflix or Amazon Prime. CW a few years ago decided to remove itself from Hulu, and that's resulted in me waiting until the season is over to watch their stuff on Netflix. Owned stuff is generally thrown on the household Plex server.

15 hours ago, Zeropoint said:

I used to watch TV. Then shipped out to sea with the Navy in the middle of a TV season and didn't pick it back up when I got back to the States. Just before my second deployment, on the last night in my apartment, I went to watch some TV to kill some time before bed, and discovered that the whole time I'd been living there, I'd never connected the cable to the TV--I'd only been using it for watching DVDs and playing video games. I quite watching TV without even noticing.

That was over ten years ago. These days, broadcast TV with commercial breaks just seems like FAR too much viewing time is taken up with ads, and most programming seems too "fluffy" for my tastes; too little content stretched to fill too much time.

I don't watch TV and I don't miss it.

I have to admit, a lot of my viewing isn't anything made recently.  TV shows and movies, I'd say I watch 95% pre-2000 stuff.  (well I watch Criminal Mind reruns with my mother when I get home from work on Mondays and Tuesdays for awhile, but that is about it.  I think that show and BlueBloods are the only 2 she really even keeps up with anymore)