In other news...

tkdguy

4 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

Thanks to you, I now know there is a missing Malaysian flight. I had no idea, since I don't watch/listen/read any US news. The Guardian or a variety of science and literature websites, or gaming stuff. Amazing how much better life is when not paying attention to the "news".

Well, if you are serious this was the reason this thread got started, if I remember, because for an entire month, the news spent 45 minutes of every hour's worth (at least) on an obscure (in the scheme of things) Malaysian flight that disappeared.

If you are being sarcastic, good one.

Note: My life has definitely improved without political news. (though I occasionally fall off the wagon, and end up in the Political Discussion Thread)

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Well, if you are serious this was the reason this thread got started, if I remember, because for an entire month, the news spent 45 minutes of every hour's worth (at least) on an obscure (in the scheme of things) Malaysian flight that disappeared.

If you are being sarcastic, good one.

Note: My life has definitely improved without political news. (though I occasionally fall off the wagon, and end up in the Political Discussion Thread)

Actually I was serious. I had no idea.  Still don't know anything about it. Maybe I'll Google it.

And I have only recently gotten back into political news (in the Political Discussion Thread primarily) and through The Guardian, UK and American versions. 

Edit: So I look up Malaysian flight and all I get is 2014 stuff... is there a new one?

Just saw the article on the discovery of fire and the invention of the wheel.  I don't normally follow cutting edge 'sciency' news but I just wanted to say (yes, this may be a bit hyperbolic) that I think those things are gonna work out swimmingly for all humanity.  Just my opinion though...YMMV.

3 hours ago, Starlord said:

Just saw the article on the discovery of fire and the invention of the wheel.  I don't normally follow cutting edge 'sciency' news but I just wanted to say (yes, this may be a bit hyperbolic) that I think those things are gonna work out swimmingly for all humanity.  Just my opinion though...YMMV.

We didn't start the fire (Homo Erectus did)

Habilis to Erectus

Oldowan to Achulean

Stand straight, migrate,

This is how to speciate

Flaking flint, chipping bits,

Now and then there comes a spark

Soon they learn, catch that burn

Then they drive away the dark

We didn't start the fire

Was already burning when Sapiens came learning

We didn't start the fire

No the first release is from an earlier species

Light, heat, cooked meat

Learning how to feed the flame

Teaching all the beasts to fear

Things will never be the same

Stone ax cuts and hacks

Make a fire hardened spear

Bigger brain, growing grain,

Baking bread and brewing beer

We didn't start the fire etc.

Clay kiln, baked brick

Forging bronze then iron and steel

Building engines worked by fire

Using steam to turn the wheels

Gasoline, electric light

AC/DC, dynamite

ATOM SPLIT - THIS IS IT

WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO HIT?

We didn't etc.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary didn't start the fire either.

9 minutes ago, Starlord said:

So you're that guy at parties that always kills the joke by explaining the obvious.  :(

No, I'm the guy hogging the karaoke machine without knowing the words to the songs.

Lucius Alexander

Not really. I'm just the guy over here in the corner with a palindromedary