Traveller HERO conversion to 6th edition

donm61873

22 hours ago, Chris Goodwin said:

The current martial arts system first appeared in Danger International.

The idea of paying 10 points for combat maneuvers not otherwise available, rather than paying equal to your STR (or multiples thereof), actually first appeared in Justice Inc. with its Boxing skill.  Aaron Allston, of course, was one of the authors of JI, but I have no idea if Boxing came from him or one of his co-authors.  Danger International certainly expanded upon that basic idea and led to the further developments as noted.

(The earlier Espionage followed the Champions model, but did add the ability to buy limited subsets of martial maneuvers for a fraction of the normal full STR cost, with these subsets defined as specific martial art styles.)

</digression>

On 4/12/2022 at 5:41 PM, BigJackBrass said:

Oh I do hope that shipping to the UK will be a possibility (it’s always expensive but increasingly it’s not an option at all).

If you score them, BJB, and they cant do international, then you can have them shipped to me-

For one, I am safe.  I already have them.  ;)   

I will get them to you.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m in the process of setting up a possible campaign in the Trojan Reaches for my gaming group so sat down to try out some conversions from Mongoose 2nd edition to TH. Here are some things I noticed when converting my first rolled up character.

Seth Arlen, a six-tour, retired Imperium Navy officer that managed to be promoted all the way to Admiral with only middling physical stats for STR/DEX/END but very high INT/EDU/SOC converted over at about 130 points with barely anything spent on stats and most of that spent on skills and perks.

In converting him over to 6th Edition, I gave him some Reputation bonuses due to his high ending SOC (15), his rank of Admiral, and one of his later life events being that he saved his entire ship on a mission. He also had two successful diplomatic missions on prior tours.

The amusing thing is that I started him out on his career path as a Navy Engineer after he graduated from a university, so he ended up with really high tech abilities but also picked up pretty good skills in Tactics (naval), Diplomacy, Blades and Leadership.

He ended up a fusion of aspects of Kirk and Scotty, which amused me.

I think he can stay at 175-points when I am done buying up more of his characteristics and tweaking him, but I honestly expected a retired veteran after 20+ years in uniform to cost more points.

My thinking was that a character converted over might get a point bonus for extra tours past their mid-thirties, an XP loan that could be paid back over time so they advance very slowly in play compared to a much younger character.

in looking at the stat conversions, I’m wondering if the conversion rate for STR/DEX/END might be better set at 1.75x rather than 1.5x due to how things ended up with Seth. His stats converted over to nines for STR and DEX. Of course this means that some alien races could go into the twenties for some stats if they have good scores in that other system, but that didn’t seem out of line to me.

Mongoose Traveller has a skill called Diplomacy that I didn’t see in the conversion chart, so I used Persuasion to convert it.

They also have Ship Shares as a Benefit item for mustering out which I guess is new, so I’’m currently converting it as a Money Perk for now.

I used Mongoose’s guide path for making a Traveller character because it provided a neat narrative path for pre-game life and established links to other characters during this process, which I thought would help make a more cohesive group. I might end up just using Traveller’s mechanics though.