Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

That simply looks like Dr. Strange, in every way that matters. :)  The spell special effects look particularly magical.

Interesting that Cumberbatch is rehearsing a gestural choreography for spell-casting, which is of course part of comic-book Strange's style. Sounds similar to what Elizabeth Olsen did for Scarlet Witch, but probably visually different.

Am I the only one who gave Greywind the benefit of the doubt here and assumed that, when he wrote hermit, he meant recluse?

Just like when everyone says "jealous" when they mean "envious"...

You are not.

Ooooo...what about when people say 'I don't know nothing' but actually mean 'anything'?

Hey, this is fun!

What about the use of the adverb 'not' in a question?  'Did you not hear me?'  If you didn't hear them...do you answer yes or no?

Poets, playwrites, and songwriters who use the inherent plasticity of language in the ways Fry mentions are artists who know what, how, and why they are twisting and flexing and repurposing words and parts of words. They have my utmost respect, and even awe.

But I think using the word "solve" instead of "solution", for example, isn't equivalent to creating "chairing" out of "chair". The latter process adds useful new words to the language, whereas the former changes an existing word for absolutely no reason other than, I imagine, to appear capable of sounding buzzwordy (see, I can be like Shakespeare too).

We have nouns like solution, request, and consultation with perfectly good definitions and zero ambiguity. We don't need verbs like solve, ask, and consult to replace them, unless you are cripplingly averse to syllables, or are trying to sound hip and modern by "optimizing" your verbal output for some bizarre reason.

I get where Stephen Fry is coming from, but a lot of the language regression I hear is not the result of artistic license or a need for new words to express what previously couldn't be expressed. I'd wager that if you asked each person why they "misused" a particular word or phrase, you'd be acutely unimpressed by their answer.

I certainly acknowledge that language is ever evolving and changing. That doesn't mean I have to have equal respect for all the ways (and reasons) it does so.

No, I think you missed Fry's point by a mile. It isn't about giving license to poets and the like but to everyone. Language is ever evolving. It doesn't need approval in order to evolve and snotty arrogance in the face of its evolution is no more enlightened or centered than creationist denials of biological evolution. 

I would hope that speakers of the ever interesting English language - even more so US speakers - would have an inherent appreciation for that fact but alas we are just as prone to biased and misplaced angst towards our fellows. It is the wonders of language change that brought us this language we call English from its Germatic roots and its Prot-Indo-European roots before that. It is language change that has allowed us to have a language that is lush with foreign snippets that we hold so dear. Be it the elegance in the tongue curling flow of the world 'ballet', the emotionally evocation of such words as scar, the clicking clutter that is the word tatami, and many more. Thank goodness for the Saxons and their disdain of the irritating enormity of English irregular plurals in opt for the mass adoption of the noun final s. Sure, the elitist of the day probably clamored against the ludicrous masses that thought going from Book to Books made more sense than book to beek*. But while their victories numerous grammarians of the worst kind - the prescriptive kind, have manage to martial up a moot defense of mice to mouses, and octopi to octopuses despite the erroneous flaw inherent in that defense. 

Language is a construct of man like no other by being simultaneously hyper personal and yet wholly social. The feelings and thoughts that spring from our inner core and are tied together with the bodily and animalistic grunts, howls and hisses we let slip our lips are truly unique to us. Their full impact can only really be know by the one who uttered them yet seemingly convey coherent communication to those who would give it an ear. For them we hope they grasp our feelings and thoughts but know that ultimately we know they only grasp the feelings and thoughts they already had associate with those rhythmic vibrations spewing from our mouths. While we have touched our listeners in the most personal of ways we still do not know the nature of that intercourse. 

The interplay of speaker and listener is the crucial component of human civilization. Few things contribute so much to the culture, nay, the survival of us as a species as our ability to converse. Thus the need to assign meaning to the arbitrary utterance we let loose. Yet to deny the person nature of language is to deny ourselves. We grow and change with every breathe and with every generation. To lock our language in an unchanging box is to enslave ourselves to the mantras and dogma of the past - but not just ourselves, our children and their children. No loving parent has ever looked down upon the fruit of their loins and desired anything less than the freedoms and joys they've enjoyed being passed on to that ever growing beautiful bundle of joy. So why here, why now, why for language do we seek to shackle them?

Some argue that they are protecting language, but as Stepher Fry uttered in his reading of so-in-so, they are not guardians and there is no degradation occurring. It is merely moralistic nonsense that should be discarded like a used Kleenex. To explain why once more but in the terms of the modern world: because language, biatch. ^^

All that said, if anyone ever texts me "cu l8r" I will defreind your ignorant ass in a New York minute. ^^

*it has been a long time since I needed to know any of the irregular conjugations that were standardized following the Saxon incorporation into the English speaking world so I just reach for one that I hoped would make sense even if not actually accurate. 

Soar.