Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Danny Rand was white.

In the comics he is, yes.

But Marvel is getting beat up over failing to take the opportunity to "right the wrong" and cast him Asian in the Netflix series. I can understand why they might think they would have been damned if they had, but I'm not sure I completely agree. If they had cast someone like Daniel Wu in the role and played it up in the press as a combination of "best man for the job" and "Marvel's chance to give more Asians a chance to shine as series leads", I'm sure they wouldn't have been criticized nearly as much as they fear.

Instead, Marvel took what looked like a "half measure" of casting a secondary character as Asian (Shang-Chi), and they got roughed up for that. Basically, any casting choice they make that doesn't put a minority into the lead role is going to draw flack. Any writing/story point that doesn't align with a politically correct diversity/representation agenda is going to draw flack. It's just the way it is right now.

The crusade now is over lack of diversity in the feature/series lead roles, not the sidekicks and support characters.

Aside from Black Widow, all of the Avengers are white males, and every Marvel movie to date has had a white male lead. The most diverse cast of characters so far is probably in GotG, but two CG aliens don't really count as far as the SJWs are concerned.

Black Panther is getting his own movie. Captain Marvel is getting her own movie. Jessica Jones has her own series, and Luke Cage is getting his own series. Apart from this, diversity only appears to exist in the background.

The crusade now is over lack of diversity in the feature/series lead roles, not the sidekicks and support characters.

Aside from Black Widow, all of the Avengers are white males, and every Marvel movie to date has had a white male lead. The most diverse cast of characters so far is probably in GotG, but two CG aliens don't really count as far as the SJWs are concerned.

Black Panther is getting his own movie. Captain Marvel is getting her own movie. Jessica Jones has her own series, and Luke Cage is getting his own series. Apart from this, diversity only appears to exist in the background.

Yeah no.

Drastically changing the characters just to please the PC crowd is the wrong move. Marvel has been so successful thus far because they have been pretty faithful to the core concepts and iconic images of their characters. That is a formula they should stick to.

Yeah no.

Drastically changing the characters just to please the PC crowd is the wrong move. Marvel has been so successful thus far because they have been pretty faithful to the core concepts and iconic images of their characters. That is a formula they should stick to.

I agree. A few characters, however, you could get away with changing. For instance, while it would be playing to stereotype, you could make Iron Fist an Asian (or Eurasian) and not alter the character too deeply (and considering the dirth of Asian characters... maybe not such a bad thing). And, speaking of mixed-race people, I think Hollywood has a black-and-white mindset (pun intended) that ignores biracial people and implies we never mix and are forever divided.

Its kind of like the government census and EOE forms: you only get to check one, even if you are many. We officially endorse the divisive racial purity mindset. This is one of the things about Obama that saddened me. He's biracial. That was a huge opportunity that was completely missed. Is his having a black father and white mother really so uncomfortable that we can't put it out there and say he's a black and white president? Sorry. That was an unnecessary rant.

But, I guess my point is, I think staying true to the core concepts works well and shows respect for the source material - I agree with you - but racial background isn't key to every concept, either. In some cases you might be able to make an adjustment without doing damage.

I agree about Obama and about minor characters being shifted.  For example, Psyclocke is supposed to be an Asian girl, and they cast her as Oliva Munn who is half Vietnamese but it doesn't really fit the character.  Missed opportunity (I do appreciate her insisting her costume be purple at least).  Danny Rand, I don't care if he's a cracker or not; he's just not a big enough or established enough character.  Other less major characters you could do a lot with.  A black guy playing Wonder Man?  Why not, he's an energy construct anyway.  Others it matters more, like Tony Stark.

I agree about Obama and about minor characters being shifted.  For example, Psyclocke is supposed to be an Asian girl, and they cast her as Oliva Munn who is half Vietnamese but it doesn't really fit the character.  Missed opportunity (I do appreciate her insisting her costume be purple at least).  Danny Rand, I don't care if he's a cracker or not; he's just not a big enough or established enough character.  Other less major characters you could do a lot with.  A black guy playing Wonder Man?  Why not, he's an energy construct anyway.  Others it matters more, like Tony Stark.

I'm not even sure how many people would notice. I didn't hear any fan complaints that Elodie Yung was cast as Elektra. The woman doesn't have a drop of Greek in her. Or Italian, Turkish, or Romanian (neighbors). She's French and Cambodian! I'm a big DD fan and have been back to the 80's, and Elektra is a huge part of that mythos, and yet... It didn't bother me in the slightest. They gave her Greek heritage an adoptive nod and a wink without breaking stride and made it work. In fact, the only complaint I recall was from Mark Miller, who is a notoriously cranky stick-in-the-mud. Screw'im.

For example, Psyclocke is supposed to be an Asian girl, and they cast her as Oliva Munn who is half Vietnamese but it doesn't really fit the character. Missed opportunity (I do appreciate her insisting her costume be purple at least).

Psyclocke, aka Elizabeth Baddock, born in Baddock Manor, England, and brother to Captain Britain? If this is the character you are thinking of, she is British and upper class, not Asian.

http://marvel.com/universe/Psylocke

I agree about Obama and about minor characters being shifted. For example, Psyclocke is supposed to be an Asian girl, and they cast her as Oliva Munn who is half Vietnamese but it doesn't really fit the character. Missed opportunity (I do appreciate her insisting her costume be purple at least). Danny Rand, I don't care if he's a cracker or not; he's just not a big enough or established enough character. Other less major characters you could do a lot with. A black guy playing Wonder Man? Why not, he's an energy construct anyway. Others it matters more, like Tony Stark.

I disagree.

I think they should stick with the source material. It has exosted these many years for a reason.

Now there are times in the comics where they experiment with these things, such as Nick Fury in the Ultimates line, which allowed them to use Sam Jackson in the cinematic universe. But in general, you should go with the iconic character, except for where it makes sense to do otherwise.

It doesnt "make sense" to change Danny Rand into an asian. It would only be for the purpose of satifying PC and it also strays into the area of obvious stereotypes. That should be avoided whenever possible.

Elektra looks somewhat quasi-Greek in a way, so she worked okay.  Wasn't fond of the first episode featuring her and Matt interacting (flashbacks and narrative was super confusing) but she was okay.

Gamora? He could...try. 

Kirk's super power is to populate the galaxy, she'd tumble for him.