Relatively minor powers that would be awesome to have in real life...

Marcus Impudite

If it was Always On it would definitely belong in my 'awesome powers that would suck to have' thread, definitely.  I, too, have used a supervillain built around Always On rapid senses making him .... cranky. Controlled, though, it would be awesome to be able to memorize a textbook in under a minute.

True enough, and we come back to the Always On problem. I was thinking as a sense it would be always on by default, but you're right, it's not necessary.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a power in need of a creative explanation. "Animal magnetism" is as good a description as any. Or maybe your touch just feels *really* good. You rub the back of her hand just the right way. Since the power description was to make them lust after you, that's perfectly appropriate. It doesn't force them to bang you right there in public. They just lust after you. Theoretically they still have the ability to say "no". So using it on a married woman, or a nun, or something wouldn't mind control them. They just want you.

When I was a teenage boy, it seemed like every woman in existence used this power on me.

I think all of us who have been teenage boys know what you're talking about.

So I think it's legitimate to ask: Given that we DO know what that's like, and given that we hopefully understand that the women in question (generally) did not and do not do it deliberately or with any conscious control or intention, is it justifiable to knowingly and willfully inflict that on someone else?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is chewing on that one

thinking about that if you just want a power that will make you rich

meet the detectorist

32 -Metal-o-vision:  Detect A Large Class Of Things 11- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Range, Sense, Tracking 0 end

16 metal-o-kinesis:  Telekinesis (6 STR), Affects Porous, Fine Manipulation (29 Active Points); Only Works On metals Limited Group of Objects (-1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4) 3

want some quick cash walk along the beach scooping up spare change want to make more money go gold prospecting (if you dont want to go to the Yukon there is a guy who makes good money clearing gold particles out of the sidewalks of New yorks jewelry districts) or hunt for treasure clean up heavy metal spills for the government cure mercury poisoning maybe.

One other power that is slightly expensive but much more useful than it's cost is nanoscale processing being able to break down an object into it's component atoms if it was slow and took hours it would be lousy for combat but a boon to a gadgetter. Just imagine extracting all the useful materials in a land fill all the gold and lead on circuit boards the copper and steel are probably worth a fortune and that's before you start transforming all the paper and other carbon rich substances into huge diamonds.

Another power with a lot of potential for not much points is Extra Dimensional movement Charles stresses merchant Princes series revolves around a hereditary clan of world jumpers who can cross from any point on earth to their feudal home world and back they use this ability to operate as couriers in their world being super fast by using modern transportation and in ours by bypassing all security. Equally in terry prattle and Stephen Barnes long earth series an infinite number of empty earth's changes the world completely. One of my favorite scenes in that was the guy who got out of jail and thought he would get rich mining one of the famous gold rush seams only to find gold is now basically worthless with an infinite number of earth's there is no longer any scarcity. Imagine going to an earth where all life had been extinguished by a neutron pulse and you could loot the duplicates of the world's greatest artworks or a world where the Beatles never broke up Elvis and mozart lived into their eighties and Alan Turing wasn't harassed for his sexuality or a world where rubiks cube, post it notes or penicillin had never been discovered.

6d6 of Luck would seem to be a useful thing to have.

Summon 100-point, Friendly beings.

Having full Discriminatory and Analyze on all of my senses would be like being Daredevil or Sherlock Holmes.

100-point Multiform with four different forms.

A 40 Intelligence has many uses.

So, you're telling me that you would want to be immortal? That is more of a curse than a blessing. Watching all your friends die and there is nothing you can do, living forever.

As Words Die, I Cannot Imagine Immortality Because It Would Suck For Me

I can make new friends.

<Emily Litella voice>

Wife support:  Immoral?!  I can't believe anybody would be in favor of that!  Just another sign of the decline of our society, I tell you.  All that immorality, tearing families apart.  And why would you expect your wife to support it?!  What kind of husband are you, anyway?

It's like those people pushing for eagle rights - why should birds have rights that cats and dogs don't get? 

(tap, tap)  (whisper whisper whisper)

Oh, Life support: Immortal!  Never mind!

</Emily Litella voice>

But Imagine The Grief You Would Feel! The Death Of Friends Would Tear You Apart Mentally!

As Words Die, The Pain and Suffering Is TOO GREAT TO HANDLE!!!!

And that differs from what I already have, how?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary finds it curious that someone would think mortality would spare one from grief.

And that differs from what I already have, how?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary finds it curious that someone would think mortality would spare one from grief.

Just think, you live forever and you know that others will die, especially after your first set of friends die, then you have less and less friends until you eventually become an anti-social. Eventually, you will be the last human on the planet. This makes you have so much depression and grief that you aren't living life anymore. You are living in a nightmare.

As Words Die, Gods Wish We Don't Wish For Immortality, But The Demons Do!

I can make new friends.

Exactly!

Like myself, say he came from a military family that transferred to a new post every 18 months. He makes new friends easily and often, only alternate ID and children would be a slight emotional issue. The movie "The Man from Earth" comes to mind.  

I was actually playing a character with serial immortality in a recent game. His was a GM controlled Transform (Mental transfer) charge with limited lives that triggered upon death, exorcism, and then later choice once paid up the xp for it. I could also buy new charges but only upon completing certain tasks, usually remotely associated with the plot hook and new body. A cheap but very fun power that I think fits the AP cost of this thread.

I Can't Imagine Why Anyone Would Ask For Immortality. 

This is a failure of your imagination.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks if JohnnyAppleseed were to live forever, he'd have time to imagine a lot of things. This might not be a good thing, though.

The super ability to not gain weight. It wasn't a problem 'till I hit my 40's. Now I have to watch what I eat and exercise often--both activities that I disdain.

Would this power be not gaining weight (al la Thiner), or taking what extra weight you have and mystically give this weight to others (talk about throwing your weight around)?