Relatively minor powers that would be awesome to have in real life...

Marcus Impudite

Is that a minor power?

30 Active Points, as stated in the OP.  I figured "minor" was based on the max AP, not the type of power available.

Really, how "minor" is Invisibility without Fringe, or Regeneration able to regrow limbs, or 30 points Life Support?  Or Major Transform, for that matter.  Heck, that last one says "Major" in the name, for Pete's sake.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why chicks dig vampires, or am I wrong. There are and have been several vampire themed shows that have vampires seducing women with mystical attraction. Their primary target audience is female, and the shows are quite popular. Not sure why you had to turn this ability into an IIF used to drug women. The ability could simply be that one would be soooo darn charming that no female could resist that person and want to be with them. –which is how I intended it. Maybe I should have called it "Got Game" instead.

One of the reasons why I love this game is the ability to create your own special effects to the powers crafted. So I don't know what is creepier, me producing a talent/abiltiy to seduce women, or you subverting that ability into a drug (IIF) and relating it to criminal activity.

Nope, you're wrong. Women, in general, do not have weird rape fantasies where vampires (or anyone else) seduces them into actions against their will.

There's a difference between being charming and forced seduction. That power is on the wrong side of the line.

If Teleport Locations are allowed as part of the Teleportation power, perhaps:

Teleportation 3m, 2x Mass, Megascale (1m=10,000km; +2), with 1 Fixed and 1 Floating Location.

To clarify, it's not like this power would allow me to say, "I want to have lunch in Paris" and then just go there safely, unless I had made that a Teleport Location.  No Safe Blind Teleport, and no Megascale Clairsentience for targeting.

I could, however, make the Fixed "location" someone important to me (say, my wife), temporarily memorize my current spot with the Floating location, and then teleport to her side anywhere on Earth and teleport either myself or both of us back. 

Actually, to cover Earth all I need is 20,000 km.  So change that to:

Teleportation 2m, 2x Mass, Megascale (1m=10,000km; +2), with 4 Fixed Locations and 1 Floating Location.

Now I can make my wife and both kids Fixed "Locations", plus our home.

The George Washington Effect: Mind Control 3d6+1 (Standard Effect 10 Points) Constant (+1/2) AOE Radius 4 meter (+1/4) (30 AP's) No Range (-1/2) Set Effect (I cannot tell a lie) (-1)

12 RP

This makes it so that any normal person will ALWAYS Believe You.

As Words Die, We Realize That The Cherry Tree Story Was Actually Made Up!!!!!

Nope, you're wrong. Women, in general, do not have weird rape fantasies where vampires (or anyone else) seduces them into actions against their will.

There's a difference between being charming and forced seduction. That power is on the wrong side of the line.

There is indeed, in real life, a difference between being charming and (I presume chemically mediated) forced seduction. There is even a difference in special effects in a superpower world. I am not so sure that you can say that this mechanical construct cannot have the special effect of such supernatural charm that the opposite sex tend to fall at their feet.

On a more consensual note--30 Active Points gets you 6D6 of Mind Control power, which can get you a decent career as a stage hypnotist.  Since a stage hypnotist's subjects are volunteers--eager volunteers, from every stage hypnosis show I've seen--the hypnotist only needs to roll "Greater Than EGO" on the Effects Table to achieve the desired result, such as a subject temporarily forgetting how to tie his shoe or flirting with an empty chair.  Maybe "EGO + 10" for something like the "suspended-stiff-and-rigid-between-two-chairs" trick.  This can also work for a therapeutic hypnotist--provided the subject has an average EGO (10), no Mental Defense and is willing to cooperate with the hypnotist, a "Greater Than EGO" result can help overcome a bad habit or a hurtful behavior.

Hope that helps.

There is indeed, in real life, a difference between being charming and (I presume chemically mediated) forced seduction. There is even a difference in special effects in a superpower world. I am not so sure that you can say that this mechanical construct cannot have the special effect of such supernatural charm that the opposite sex tend to fall at their feet.

The new TV show Lucifer does a fantastic job of demonstrating this, albeit with a hell of a lot more humor than I could have drummed up.

The fact that it wears off, or can be healed, that it only requires a touch, only works on females for lustful purposes make it Rohypnol, not charisma.

Really?  And you have no female friends who told you that they willingly slept with a bloke because they were so charming but would never go near them with a bargepole in future (once the charisma wore off?).

As I said, I do not disagree with the fact that there is a rohypnol-y potential explanation.  i just think that the mechanics themselves do not demand a specific special effect - that would be against one of the fundamental principles of the system! :-)

Really?  And you have no female friends who told you that they willingly slept with a bloke because they were so charming but would never go near them with a bargepole in future (once the charisma wore off?).

As I said, I do not disagree with the fact that there is a rohypnol-y potential explanation.  i just think that the mechanics themselves do not demand a specific special effect - that would be against one of the fundamental principles of the system! :-)

From one lingering touch? No. And I have plenty of female friends who simply wouldn't (perhaps because they've been burned before, or because they value their word and they've said they're in an exclusive relationship, or just because they're savvy), but that wouldn't protect them against the "power". The power as described doesn't say "only on girls who tend to fall for the 'dangerous' type"; it works on any female from 18 to 103, if the user (and I use that word advisedly) so chooses, whether they're aware of the existence of the toucher or not. So jostling elbows on the dancefloor or at the bar would be enough contact. And he could do it over again, to people prepared to reject him.

Strong will (high Ego) just means the predator has to be more persistent: eventually it will work. No co-worker would be safe unless they got an inappropriate conduct grievance in to their managers before they caved.

And I don't think existing friends warning her that she's acting out of character counts as "Body healing" for helping her get out of it...

Tighter limitations, different methods of recovering the "damage", and you're getting closer to "persuasive lothario", but as it stands, it's way too potent to be explained by any "mundane" special effect, any more than 40 Str can be explained by any normal human physiological/anatomical variability.

It's just a power in need of a creative explanation. "Animal magnetism" is as good a description as any. Or maybe your touch just feels *really* good. You rub the back of her hand just the right way. Since the power description was to make them lust after you, that's perfectly appropriate. It doesn't force them to bang you right there in public. They just lust after you. Theoretically they still have the ability to say "no". So using it on a married woman, or a nun, or something wouldn't mind control them. They just want you.

When I was a teenage boy, it seemed like every woman in existence used this power on me.

My first instinct is to buy Life Support: Doesn't Age and then spend the rest on INT, with the assumption that at that point I'll be able to figure out how to get any other power I might want.

However, high intelligence is socially isolating, and I'm already socially isolated enough as it is (and it's not all due to being smart; I have other problems). Maybe the Life Support, a few points of INT, and the rest on PRE?

One of these three options although I have no idea how I would write them up:

• An android me that is totally capable of doing my job.  I send him to work and I play around all day.  Because he is an android I don't have to feed him, I just have to give him a way to recharge.

Or

• The ability to play guitar as well as anyone I have ever heard play before (basically like Data's ability to hear multiple violinists and then combine their abilities into something uniquely his own)

Or

• The ability to make my body as fit as it can possibly be (i.e. loss all the extra weight; better muscle strength and endurance) + LS (200 yrs is enough + immune to disease)

Those are probably more than 30 active points.

One of these three options although I have no idea how I would write them up:

• An android me that is totally capable of doing my job.  I send him to work and I play around all day.  Because he is an android I don't have to feed him, I just have to give him a way to recharge.

Follower 

• The ability to play guitar as well as anyone I have ever heard play before (basically like Data's ability to hear multiple violinists and then combine their abilities into something uniquely his own)

Perfect Pitch

PS: Guitarist, 20-

• The ability to make my body as fit as it can possibly be (i.e. loss all the extra weight; better muscle strength and endurance) + LS (200 yrs is enough + immune to disease)

Those are probably more than 30 active points.

15 Str, Dex and Con (20 pts in 6th)

LS: 200 years (1 pt)

LS: Disease (5 or 10 points?  I forget)

Not too expensive.

Honestly, rapid on sight has some real drawbacks. Television and film, any video really, will look like a stilted slide show. (I actually built a character using this concept.)

If it was Always On it would definitely belong in my 'awesome powers that would suck to have' thread, definitely.  I, too, have used a supervillain built around Always On rapid senses making him .... cranky. Controlled, though, it would be awesome to be able to memorize a textbook in under a minute.

My 12 point power

Back To My Place:  Major Transform 2d6 (person into person who lusts after me, heals back normally), Attack Versus Alternate Defense (Mental Defense; +0), Alternate Combat Value (uses OMCV against DMCV; +1/4), Works Against EGO, Not BODY (+1/4) (30 Active Points); Limited Target (Minds of women only) (-1), No Range (-1/2)

Why not choose a Power that creates a new being with a massive and willing sex drive? That's less objectionable.